Kemper CPA Group LLP Reviews

Thomas A. Moore
1 Rating

1. Overall a good workplace

Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at Kemper CPA Group LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back office. Easy to get along with supervisors. Offer a good amount of vacation/PTO time. Work can be interesting at times.

Cons

Tax Season Hours (65-85 hours a week January - April). Tax work is mostly boring. Work is very slow in the summer. I have 3 bosses in my office of 10 people, which can lead to confusion on what work I need to be doing. Pay could be better.

Advice to Management

Overall you do a good job. Try to focus on better training for new employees, basic staff training did not teach me much when I first started.

2. Former employee

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at Kemper CPA Group LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, good friendly management and coworkers, involved in community, fair compensation, fair bonuses and raises based on team performance.

Cons

Partner structure is terrible, career advancement based on favoritism and not individual performance. Very archaic views on work schedules, billable time is scrutinized daily by management, employees expected to meet or exceed billable time goals and sell services. No dedicated sales force.

Advice to Management

Your senior people are always looking for better opportunities, reward them and don't give them a reason to leave and they will be happy to help you grow. If you set impossible goals and deadlines, plan for failure and take the blame for it. Hire sales reps and let your people become masters at servicing clients not knocking on doors. Being a group of CPA's doesn't obligate you to be so black and white, everything in life doesn't have a balance sheet and sometimes the gray areas are where you will find the most success.

3. Beware

Former Employee - Professional
    Former Employee - Professional

I worked at Kemper CPA Group LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the offices are likely good places. But inquire of turnover and do due diligence.

Cons

Long long time for significant income. 20+ years years before significant wage benefit. Until then one pays for those already there - and those that have left. Pyramid feel. Until then there is a greed culture - "you are here so we can keep our benefits". Very shortsighted. Work life balance? You work so they live.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to turnover.

5. Kemper CPA

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Evansville, IN

I worked at Kemper CPA Group LLP

Pros

Great experience and pleasant work environment

Cons

Very hectic and crowded atmosphere during busy season

Advice to Management

More open communication

6. Great people, Great place to learn

I have been working at Kemper CPA Group LLP

Pros

- Deep relationships in a small office environment created a family atmosphere
    - Worked with talented and knowledgeable professionals
    - Great opportunity to learn
    - Efficient and effective environment, high level of teamwork

Cons

- long hours during tax season (nature of the job)
    - low wages

Advice to Management

- Pay a competitive wage
    - Help young staff develop an attractive career path

7. As a firm overall it is a positive place to work, flexible towards employees, and fairly compensates.

Former Employee - Staff Accountant I
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant I

I worked at Kemper CPA Group LLP

Pros

-Positive environment
    -Good vacation policy
    -Most partners were good bosses to work for

Cons

- Middle managers lacking, essentially workforce comprises of staff and partners
    - Very poor training program for entry level staff. Staff were thrown into jobs with little prep, little direction and when on the job too busy to help them get up to speed. Some kind of meaningful training should be done on the front end for staff which could avoid problems down the road. Supervisors aren't given time to train, so they have additional stress of meeting deadlines and try to carve out time to meet with staff.
    -Expensive health insurance, I was very unimpressed with the health insurance. For younger workers, compare private health insurance through other means and then compare to the Kemper's plan. It might be cheaper to turn down the company plan.
    -Have to wait 2 years before profit sharing kicks in

Advice to Management

Improving your training program would increase staff efficiency and retention

RSS Feed </> Embed