Ken Garff Automotive Group

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014
2.7

Brett Hopkins

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Administration in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Administration in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Ken Garff Automotive Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You feel like you are a part of a team here. Everything seems to be organized and geared towards happy employees.

Cons

High demands for low paying jobs

Lower level management at Ken Garff is not always the best. Somebody who knows somebody kind of deal which doesn't always bode well for a great work environment. Too much good ole boy in my view.

Great, loved the people I worked with, but there is a catch.

Current Employee - Lot Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lot Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salesmen and other employees are very personable and like to get along with everyone. Managers are approachable for the most part and are willing to get along with all of the employees in the dealership. If you like cars the job is pretty fun. Benefits are okay.

Cons

The pay is barely above minimum wage, It's difficult to get time off because they want you to dedicate your life to a car dealership. Managers don't necessarily care if you've worked hard or not. If they see you talk with another employee and laugh they think you are relaxing on your paid work time and automatically discredit you for any hard work you have done in the past. We were told there was a pay raise after 90-days, after those 90-days the managers told us that they hadn't really been paying attention and they hadn't taken the time to really solidify our knowledge of what we needed to do. Because of that they told us they were going to watch us for the next month to see if we really deserved a raise. Eventually it came but the sheer ignorance irritated us. Lot Techs come and go, they don't care. If you have real goals... you'll be fine working somewhere else.

Give a crap about the bottom of the food chain and realize that they are on their feet 8 hours a day basically doing managements bidding. Don't give them more responsibility or ask them to do things unless you are really considering to increase their. In my experience, I ended up doing more that was in the job description. Even in the Job description there should be a higher pay grade.

The company is run by good men who sincerely care about those who work for them and their customers.

I worked at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Room for advancement. Great benefits.

Cons

A lot of mid management

Keep up the good work!

Poor company to work for...no room for advancement and raises are unheard of.

Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Ogden, UT

I worked at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They'll send you to Denver to train you and pay for that training. IF they like you. IF they don't, you can forget advancing in the company, even if you get all your self-studies done.

Cons

The pay, is POOR. They promise raises if you do this or that and then they don't follow-thru. 4 years and no raise.... That's busting out over 100 hours a paycheck and still no raise. Medical Insurance...a joke. For a family of 5, it's $564 a MONTH and a $2000 deductible. Their benefits package is a joke. If you want to work for a company, get treated poorly, paid poorly, have no room for advancement or movement and feel under-appreciated...Ken Garff is the place for you!

Let's see....get real benefits. Have yearly reviews. Offer raises and follow-thru. Don't hire managers that have no sense. If your employees are done with self-studies, send them to Denver for training...period. That helps you AND them and your company...win, win. Offer anonymous surveys for the employees to offer suggestions about their boss and how jobs are divided out and then LISTEN to their feedback. A happy employee, is a PRODUCTIVE employee.

Garff

Former Employee - Part Driver in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Part Driver in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None it was a crappy placy to work.

Cons

The managee always made one person do most of the work and let her sister just ar the office all day.

Get your stuff figured out, fire a lot of people and just restart.

The Garff Dilemma

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Culver City, CA

I worked at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Successful company with lots of job opportunities.

Cons

Business/moral ethics are questionable at best.

Horrible

Former Employee - Tecnition in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Tecnition in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company cares nothing for employees

Cons

Say one thing and do another

Care about your employees

20 years ago this was the best place to work. now it is the worst place to work. no one here wants to be here.

I have been working at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great, hard working fellow employees. customer loyalty, for now, remains high
    good benifits with up 4 weeks vacation and 401k match

Cons

corporate treats employees like faceless numbers. they preach their drive the experience and that every employee counts but it is just lip service. do not become a manager

your focus on the bottom line or else is a moral killer. you need to get back to the founders ideals. Ken Garff was a great man his employees loved him. think about it

The Corporate Vision vs. the Dealership Reality are still at odds

Current Employee - Certified Sales Consultant in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Certified Sales Consultant in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If the Corporate Vision actualy becomes a reality it might be a nice place to work.

Cons

-You are paid either minimum wage or commission whichever is greater not base + commission
    -Too many "Old School" Sales Manager's/General Manager's
    -The Dealership is still very different from what the corporation wants it to be.

Take a closer look at your dealers and let GM's and Sales Managers go that can't get with your vision of how you want the company to be.

Decent place to work but dead end job

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Orem, UT

I have been working at Ken Garff Automotive Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After 3 months you get great benefits and get weekends off
    GM is great and salesman are nice
    Somewhat unsupervised and can listen to own music

Cons

A lot of empty promises without any room for moving up in the company and no raises offered. In some ways looked down upon
    parts manager micromanages instead of letting the employees get the job done stress free

Offer raises and consider drivers for promotions