Kenan Advantage Group

www.thekag.com

Kenan Advantage Group Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Dennis A. Nash

Hard work and dedication are over time recognized and rewarded.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) North Canton, OH

ProsNeverending workload- keeps you busy and on your toes.
    Always looking for a new and efficient way to do things.
    Good benefits
    Growing company

ConsCompensation is average
    Work life balance for some is off kilter depending on position, but that can be said about any place

Good place to work

Dispatcher (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat environment. As long as you get the job done nobody bothers you.

ConsNo raises since I have been there

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to find a way to reward dispatchers that work harder than others.

Kenan Disadvantage

Management (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood folks to work with in the field, especially the drivers.

ConsNo advancement, no corporate support they don't know what going on in the field regarding management concerns. Expected to do the work of regional management. You have to be part of the "boys club" to get promoted. Company is to big you are treated as a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with the field

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible company to work for

Driver (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere are no pro's to working for this company.

ConsThis companies maintenance program is the worst in the industry. You drive old worn out equipment and when it breaks down you either sit for weeks with little pay while they figure out what there doing or they give you another worn out truck to use. They have us go to vendors that dont know what there doing instead of going to a company shop with company mechanics thats not far away. The pay is horrible also my last week there i delivered 3 loads and barely made $500. That is why i left. Also there is no management you dont know who your boss is cause it changes all the time. When you have a problem you spend hours and hours trying to get ahold of someone with a brain that can help you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your drivers. Without drivers making deliveries there is no company.

Dispatcher

Dispatcher (Former Employee) Homewood, AL

ProsNever a dull moment, its a faced paced company where things can change at the drop of a hat. If you like not being bored to death just clocking in hours, you will like this place. The company promotes within and the President could not be a nicer guy.

ConsLong Hours and Low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your good employees, Being nice does not pay the bills.

Overworked, underpaid, and taken advantage of

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) North Canton, OH

ProsMOST employees are helpful and caring. Most everyone worked well together. Corporate has a great office, with a gym and a cafeteria. Plenty of room for advancement IF you know the right people. They do have a decent company picnic, though the past couple of years it has gone downhill and is pretty much a joke now. They do have a tent for the balloon festivities in July, however, that does make up for the company picnic's quality.

ConsStarting hourly pay is barely above minimum wage for what people do there, salary is actually lower than that because you are expected to work more hours without overtime. There was no personal time, no sick time, no anything, Every time you had to call off, they counted it and used it against you every chance you got. They will jump on every chance they can to write you up in the billing department until you leave. The billing manager is a joke. You only advance if she likes you. If she doesnt, she makes your life hell until you quit or she fires you. NO ONE can advance to into the logistics department unless you are a child of someone higher up or your parents play golf or grew up with someone higher up. Dispatchers work insane amount of hours and dont get vacation time or anything.
    Salary employees work way too many hours for way too little pay and in one department, the management is not even real management, just some guy pretending to know how to do his job because his employees are doing it for him and he takes the credit. He doesnt even have a degree, even though that is one of the mandatory qualifications of a department manager. There is probably more than one of these "managers" there at KAG like this. They are suck ups so they get ahead, no other reason, certainly not for their job skills or ethics.
    This company really doesnt value their employees at all. Making money is their number one priority and acquiring more smaller companies to add to their roster. They dont care if an employee is overworked, stressed out, and sick. They dont care if one of their departments is corrupted and they are treating the employees badly, even though complaints have been made to HR. HR covers it up too. Just a bad company to work for unless you know someone in upper management or are related to someone up there in the upper offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved and do manager and supervisor reviews, listen to the employee's complaints about said managers, and find out who is exactly doing the managers' job. Get rid of the problem managers and employees, not the ones that have been loyal, dedicated, and hard working. Stop the corruption in the departments and the favoritism. Pay people what they are worth, not as little as possible. Offer sick days and personal days as well as vacation. Have enough employees in a department to where one person is not doing the work of three people and if someone is out can have enough people to cover for the day. Offer in-house job offers and promotions before offering it to outside people.

Prepare to be overworked and underpaid.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) North Canton, OH

Pros-The company is constantly growing so your job is secure.
    -Benefits are provided.
    -There is a cafeteria which provides quality meals for only three dollars.
    -There is also a small on-site gym.
    -Many family-friendly summer activities are offered.
    -Rewards program is offered with prizes like Keurigs, Kindles, GPS Units, etc.
    -The company will usually work with you whenever you need time off.

Cons-The paid time off is very unreasonable. You only get five "personal days" for the first two years. These function as both your sick days and vacation days. You can usually get unpaid time off in addition to this.
    -The company does not pay for maternity leave, so do not plan on having any kids unless you can either go back to work right after having a baby or you can go without income for awhile.
    -Salaries are very low here. Across the board, most people only make about 70% of what other companies would pay for the same position.
    -Overtime is often mandatory.
    -Little training is provided.
    -They don't seem to hire based on qualifications, it's more about knowing someone that works here.
    -Be prepared to have a very large amount of work assigned to you. It often felt like I was trying to do the work of three people.
    -The company is conservative and will occasionally express their point of view to the employees.
    -The benefits package became less reasonable after the affordable care act was passed and they just blamed it on Obama.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe turnover rate would be a lot lower if you made your employees feel valued. Your employees don't need to hear about your political views.

Leading at Every turn. Or speeding down the wrong road.

Driver (Current Employee) Canton, OH

ProsEasy to work for. Very tolerant. Steady paycheck

ConsAs a driver hard workers are treated the same as slackers. Corporate is to big and not in touch with there drivers. Pay is lower than almost every tanker outfit in the area. No two terminals are paid the same. Terminal managers are clueless college kids with no real world experience. Service to equipment is awful cheapest route first safe route if caught. Suggestions fall on deaf ears.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management start listening to your drivers we are after all a trucking company. Take service of our equipment more serious. Pay drivers what they are worth. I love my job as do many others I work with but if equipment standards are not raised along with pay. I will be forced to leave to provide better future for family and myself as many drivers have done recently.

your just a number

Driver (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsIts a job, if you dont have one maybe its better than unemployment.

ConsIf they can get away with not providing, supplying or buying it they will. Its all about the bottom line with this company. Drivers are underpaid and underappreciated. If you have experiance dont bother applying here it don't mean squat. They would rather pay drivers out of truck school a low wage than hire good competent drivers and pay them fairly.

Advice to Senior Managementtry paying drivers what they are worth. The drivers are the backbone of the company, thay are what MAKES a company. You can sell all the acounts you want but without good drivers servicing those accounts you wont keep them. Hmmm how many accounts have we lost in the last 4 years compared to how many we never lost in the 20 before that.

Just OK.

IT Staff (Former Employee) Canton, OH

ProsThe corporate office is nice. It is conveniently located and contains a gym, walking path, and cafeteria. The financial benefits (including medical, dental, optical, and life insurance) are good.

Summer brings a series of company sponsored, family friendly events.

ConsSalaries are low and stagnant.

Corporate communication is non-existent. You won't find out what they are thinking about until long after they do it.

Almost all promotions are given to outside hires without any consideration of current employees.

Work/life balance is not good. Salaried employees are told that they are expected to work between 45-50 hours per week including weekends. There is no overtime or comp-time to make up for any extra hours. All IT employees are on-call 24x7x365.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest with your employees.

Worked for Kenan Advantage Group? Contribute to the Community!