Kenco Group

Jane Kennedy Greene

Intern- Distribution Center

Intern (Former Employee)
    Chattanooga, TN

ProsAbility to take part in managerial operations and making a difference in day to day work environment.

Conswell, it is a Distribution Center after all...

They are their own worse enemy.

Lead (Current Employee)
    Robbinsville, NJ

ProsThe company has the potential to be great, but they are their own worse enemy. They have a lot of tools available to learn and grow.

ConsCommunication is horrible. Things are done or changed on a whim that should not be and they drag their feet on things that should be addressed right away. They don't get or take advice from associates that would help get the company where it needs to be. Lower management is afraid to speak up when upper management makes a bad decision. Most of management has lost their credibility and respect due to the way they do things. Most associates and management are there for a pay check now, and it shows. Today is my last day here, I've done all I could to help and it's time to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lead by fear. Listen to people with experience before you act on big changes. You HAVE to fix the communication between shifts and departments. Be honest where ever you can, anyone with experience can see right through the BS and it ruins your credibility. The Robbinsville branch has so much potential, it's right there at arms length you just have to commit to it.

The Sky is the Limit

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Chattanooga, TN

ProsI love working here...everything from the guiding principles to the chance to explore new project/business opportunities to the ability to appropriately manage your time. It's a progressive workplace for a young person with an entrepreneurial spirit to it.

ConsTravel - if you consider it a con. Some project warrant more than others, but all-in-all, it's an experience builder.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on people - the customer, the associates, and management. Building the bench strength and focusing on the talent in house will pay dividends for years to come.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

feels good to be appreciated

Fork Lift Operator (Current Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

Prosif you like to work hard and get recognition look no further in logistics. they make me feel at home since day one. we all work as a team and are equal as far as job duties . no one is above helping each other to get the job done

Consit may take a little bit of time to get trained when they say it should happen it might take a little longer so patience is important cause they wont forget

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure everyone understands they importance of the asked assignment because corners could be cut affecting the over all objective

Good experience with a well-run company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslarge company with lots of resources

Consunclear company direction at times

Advice to Senior Managementkeep clear lines of communication to all employees

Very good in Training and Development of Employees

Human Resources Department (Current Employee)

ProsPlenty of opportunities for advancement in most areas of Kenco.
    Training is top notch from most companies I have ever worked for.
    Family oriented, always.

ConsNone, this company offers plenty of chances to advance, but you have to want to advance, they will not seek most out, they want you to make the move to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to look at everyone before deciding on a person's future. The brightest rock in the pond is not always the perfect match for the Management level positions.

Amazing workplace that actually cares about their associates

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKenco has a great culture of putting their associate's morale first; things like monthly cookouts, leadership that listened to you, and several opportunities to effect positive change.

At the facility where I was employed Kenco was also very sure to meet the needs of our client (fully managed warehouse) and made sure that all associates were informed of changes that needed to be made, expectations that were communicated by our client, and useful feedback was provided to front-line employees.

ConsThe only reason I left the warehouse I was working at was due to an overly long commute, nothing bad to say at all!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

an all out sham.

CDL-A Driver (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

Prosthere was no pros to this job or management.

Consthe whole place was a con.

Advice to Senior Managementget a better grip on the companies you buy before you move in to manage them.

Upper Management very disconnected from day to day operations.

IT Manager (Former Employee)
    Robbinsville, NJ

ProsNone. It was closer to me than commuting to NYC daily. Biggest mistake in my career. Very focused on LEAN/Six Sigma ops to a fault. Outrageous spend to fix minor process issues.

ConsExpected to perform duties without access to critical back end features. No direction from management, no documentation on current programs. Highest turnover rate of employees/management i have seen. I wish i would have seen the reviews on Glassdoor before accepting the position.

Interestingly unprofessional

ProsCorporate is truly a different world than the warehouses. Corporate is a renovated facility. Warehouses.....are warehouses.

Communication seems to work well at corporate office.

Office workers receive 10 days vacation.

Fair amount of travel in "good enough" conditions. Economy class only, under $200/nt hotel, $50/day food allowance (but not a per diem).

Pay is enough to make you not want to escape right away.

ConsInformation silos exist at each warehouse. Your site is focused on your customer and will work toward whatever goals they have - with a weak amount of direction from corporate. They want employees capable of being able to support other clients while these undocumented information silos continue to build up. They will ask you and expect you to visit other clients and throw you into some situations that you have no clue what is going on.

It seems like there is a class system in the company. There is corporate/executives that live by their set of rules. There are office workers who seem to come and go on a whim. There are hired in employees who get their hands dirty but are not office workers. Then finally there are temp employees. All of this means new faces all the time.

For a company of this size they have a poor intranet site with outdated links, layout, poor organization, broken links and more. Things just aren't up to todays standards.

Random monthly drug testing for everyone in the company. This makes workers feel untrusted in the company and takes the focus away from work. 3 tests in 3 months back to back makes you wonder if they really want you around. Insurance gets worse over time and outpaces your raises, and they have the money to blow in this area is just absurd.

Not a bleeding edge or cutting edge company in IT. You will use software that is difficult to learn, and the technology may seem straight out of the 80's at times.

Company is entirely focused on Six Sigma/Lean/6S/Kaizen in the warehouse world and pursues these goals endlessly while neglecting some of the larger gaps or issues in other business units.

Employee turnover is high. You read a lot of names and find out they left quickly.

There are a number of concerns that make working at Kenco a unenjoyable experience. They do emphasize this whole family atmosphere and stress their corporate culture - but due to turnover, lack of information, old technology - you just don't feel like you do with other companies. This company is pretty christian. You may fit in better if you go to church and have a 1980's view of the world. Is there anything more 1980's than a company using green screens, focusing on Six Sigma and Lean like it will revolutionize the company? Newsletters will have Q&A's with random employees, they always ask what their favorite book is and not surprisingly almost everyones is the bible.

3PL's hire and fire all the time. They closed a warehouse with nearly 200 people recently - your job may depend on one customer alone.

I have never expressed so much of a desire to just keep applying for another job while working at Kenco.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more money in IT and documentation. Spend time focusing on other areas in the company that need to be brought out of the 80's - we get it, you love Lean/Six Sigma. Ditch the random drug testing.

Spend less money on pointless travel. You spend a lot of money flying people around for things that could be handled better with good communication, published documents, conference calls, or a Skype call. Even a "real teleconference" solution would pay for itself in a week or two with all the travel going on.

Shake things up at the top.

Worked for Kenco Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kenco Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kenco Group CEO Jane Kennedy Greene. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Kenco Group employees.