Kennametal Reviews

Updated October 10, 2014
3.6

Kennametal Chairman, President, and CEO Carlos M. Cardoso
Carlos M. Cardoso

Pros
  • Good benefits, okay time off, ability to buy extra vacation time, training when started was good (in 6 reviews)

• There are many great people who work here (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Promoted male employee with less qualifications and less senority because he was sports oriented, which appealed to plant manager at the time (in 4 reviews)

• I could say location (cold and relatively long Winters), but HQ in Latrobe PA is only one of many global locations, so the argument could be moot (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people with good intentions

Former Employee - Production Manager in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Kennametal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with having ethical outlooks and positive attitude.

Cons

Poor feedback to employees. Poor ability to provide career advancement or counseling. Poor repatriation of expats.

Show people how they can advance. Give them the opportunities to succeed. Play to your peoples' strong points.

Great people in lower management / hourly.

I worked at Kennametal full-time

Pros

Real focus on Safety, plenty of growth and opportunities depending on location.
    Flexible

Cons

Understaffed, supervisors, managers wearing too many hats .

Metrics can be bent to make things seem better then they are, Some plant managers need to go, they are the reason for high turnover in areas of Quality / Supervision, Engineering.

Overall a good company with interesting work.

I have been working at Kennametal

Pros

Friendly work environment with great people.

Cons

Internal politics can be tough for some.

Growing Company

I have been working at Kennametal full-time

Pros

Great use of the latest communication technology. Very ethical and safe place to work.

Cons

Too many management tiers, too many people busy building and protecting their own dynasties at cost to the business.

Some upper management are and will continue to be roadblocks to growth.

Well Organized, and Friendly

Former Employee - Systems Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator

I worked at Kennametal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Well supported, easy to contact staff throughout the company for internal guidance. Facility was very friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Corporate headquarters not always in the loop with satellite facilities.

Top level managements open and honest information is appreciated, but please be accurate and timely.

Awkward experience

Former Employee - Product Analyst in Latrobe, PA
    Former Employee - Product Analyst in Latrobe, PA

I worked at Kennametal as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, good environment, friendly people, nice buildings. Established business. Good educational resources.

Cons

I was a contract employee. I had 3 managers in 18 months. I was constantly told they were going to hire me full time soon, or that I had a new manager I had to prove myself to and that I was basically starting over. Every manager completely changed my job duties. Asked to work lots of unpaid overtime as a contract employee. HR became hostile when I asked them about this (moreso because I thought it proved they should hire me full time than because it was illegal or I was upset). I was constantly asked to work holidays (14 hours on Good Friday and was called at 5PM on Easter Sunday to come in) to wrap up projects. If only I had just one manager or was a full time employee it would have been far better.

Abusing contract employees made full-time employees wonder what was in store for them. Besides my awkward situation though, everything seemed very good for everyone else.

Highly political

I have been working at Kennametal full-time

Pros

Very stable industry with loyal customer base

Cons

Too political not encouraged to have an open mind as new member of the leadership team.

Allow new leaders to participate more in running the business

Decades of growth and satisfaction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Latrobe, PA

I have been working at Kennametal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For me the career at KMT has been full of opportunities for growth. Post-hire training is never a problem - just ask for it if its not already on your schedule. Benefits and compensation are all on par with most companies of a similar or larger population. The breadth of products and industries served make the chances of doing what interests you highly possible whether it be scientific/technical, manufacturing/logistics, administrative/HR, sales/marketing, or IT.

Cons

I could say location (cold and relatively long Winters), but HQ in Latrobe PA is only one of many global locations, so the argument could be moot. Otherwise, I can not think of a con!

The CEO's history includes manufacturing, wherein he understands our products and our customers. As long as we keep that experience and knowledge base predominant in the leadership team, we should continue to grow prosperously.

Quality professional environment

I have been working at Kennametal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has structured practices and resources to develop and promote internal talent that are comparable to world class organizations that are much larger in scale and revenue. These practices are called out in the company's core operating system... and are made a company priority.
    Kennametal also actively solicits employee feedback with an annual anonymous employee survey (delivered in many languages). And managers are expected to make improvements from the feedback.
    This company also puts a lot of emphasis on ethics, safety, and being a good contributor to local communities. (We're actually encouraged to volunteer.)
    Having worked across multiple industries, I can honestly say, this kind of commitment to employees is not common.
    And it shows in the employees... this company is full of really smart people who care about what they do and how their work makes a difference.

Cons

If you are looking for a place to coast through your work or just put in your time... this won't be the place for you.

Quality Supervisor

I have been working at Kennametal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

ethical values, safety environment (culture) and innovations.

Cons

due to the size of Kennametal, difficulty of aligning all the employees to follow to the same standard, where this is required.

Keep up the good job

Kennametal Photos

Kennametal Knowledge Center
Color signals help prioritize outbound processing at the NADC

+ Add Photo