Kennametal

Kennametal Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Kennametal Chairman, President, and CEO Carlos M. Cardoso

Carlos M. Cardoso

Pros
  • Good benefits, okay time off, ability to buy extra vacation time, training when started was good (in 6 reviews)

• Great Home to Work Life Balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Working for a plant manager who is more interested in corprate image and not real operation of the one plant (in 4 reviews)

• I could say location (cold and relatively long Winters), but HQ in Latrobe PA is only one of many global locations, so the argument could be moot (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Quality professional environment

ProsThe company has structured practices and resources to develop and promote internal talent that are comparable to world class organizations that are much larger in scale and revenue. These practices are called out in the company's core operating system... and are made a company priority.
    Kennametal also actively solicits employee feedback with an annual anonymous employee survey (delivered in many languages). And managers are expected to make improvements from the feedback.
    This company also puts a lot of emphasis on ethics, safety, and being a good contributor to local communities. (We're actually encouraged to volunteer.)
    Having worked across multiple industries, I can honestly say, this kind of commitment to employees is not common.
    And it shows in the employees... this company is full of really smart people who care about what they do and how their work makes a difference.

ConsIf you are looking for a place to coast through your work or just put in your time... this won't be the place for you.

Decades of growth and satisfaction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Latrobe, PA

ProsFor me the career at KMT has been full of opportunities for growth. Post-hire training is never a problem - just ask for it if its not already on your schedule. Benefits and compensation are all on par with most companies of a similar or larger population. The breadth of products and industries served make the chances of doing what interests you highly possible whether it be scientific/technical, manufacturing/logistics, administrative/HR, sales/marketing, or IT.

ConsI could say location (cold and relatively long Winters), but HQ in Latrobe PA is only one of many global locations, so the argument could be moot. Otherwise, I can not think of a con!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO's history includes manufacturing, wherein he understands our products and our customers. As long as we keep that experience and knowledge base predominant in the leadership team, we should continue to grow prosperously.

Quality Supervisor

Prosethical values, safety environment (culture) and innovations.

Consdue to the size of Kennametal, difficulty of aligning all the employees to follow to the same standard, where this is required.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The bottom line is the bottom line.

Machinist (Current Employee) New Market, VA

ProsThey are willing to invest in the location if you're making a profit.
    They move work to high performing facilities.
    They are always open to new ideas which save the company money.

ConsEverything seems focused on shifting from a very employee friendly company to one which is more profit driven. While this makes sense on the broader scale, there must be a balance to profits and employee engagement and retention. It looks like the days of 30+ year employees is dying at Kennametal.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more machines you attempt to make your employees run won't automatically lead to more profits. Identifying real tact times for machines and balancing the requirements of the operators would be smart. It's kind of being looked at... but the facility management seems to be overloaded while being understaffed and there's only so much they can do.

Good overall experience as an intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfriendly environment and good for personal growth

Conscolleagues are too old and can't hold new ideas

Advice to Senior Managementbring some young people to the team

Precision with our products and in our work place

Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) Weldon, NC

ProsI have never worked with such a skilled set of coworkers in my life. We are provided with what we need to get the job done. Good medical and fringe benefits. Management IS KNOWLEDGEABLE AND LEAVES THEIR DESKS AND CHECKS ON PRODUCTION! It is about producing a great product for the customer. In class we used one of the bits and it was awesome!

ConsIf you don't want to work, don't apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't see any problems, impressed that management doesn't micromanage, yet does check on progress with well informed managers.

Kennametal

Production Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company lots of stability

ConsTo much in the way with all the politics

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your People

Too India-Centric

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Latrobe, PA

ProsConvenient commute. Easy parking. No traffic

ConsToo india-centric. Management would rather save a buck than do things the right way. Too many "managers"

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the India-centric mentality. India will be the downfall of this company. This company functioned so much better before the COE was introduced. When making decisions, make decisions based on what's right, and not to save a dollar. So many decisions are made at the senior management level, without the input of the actual SME's.

Need more career opportunities

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Fort Mill, SC

ProsGood benefits, okay time off, ability to buy extra vacation time, training when started was good. Casual dress is a big plus. Office equipment and office furniture is up-to-date. In beginning stages of work from home program.

ConsMicro-management is #1 here! Supervisors have so many reports and other things they have to do, they have no hands on time. You get "penalized" if you are late, leave early,call in sick. That is the most ridiculous thing ever! My starting pay was/is lower than others as I was hired when it was an employer's market. The annual salary increase is a joke, even though it is supposed to be based on an individual's performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed some younger management "blood" in the office. Move some other positions/departments to Fort Mill so there are other career opportunities. People getting bored and "burned out" being a CSR. People looking outside the company for more rewarding opportunities.

Exciting and frustrating at the same time to be working for a company that is in the midst of changing culture.

ProsGreat Home to Work Life Balance. Opportunities for flex-time, and understanding of Family First atmosphere. Have seen opportunities for advancement in a few departments. They seem to be moving into the direction of Customer First, but it's not there yet.

ConsToo many "middle managers" messages does not get translated from the top to the bottom. The term "lost in translation" is common here. As with most large companies, doing what you say you do is harder to see, at least on a "worker" level. This is a finance run company. At the end of the day that trumps everything!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so worried to let people grow and make mistakes. There's too much CYA going on in Management to protect the manager, and not not enough, managing.

Worked for Kennametal? Contribute to the Community!