Kennametal

Kennametal Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Kennametal Chairman, President, and CEO Carlos M. Cardoso

Carlos M. Cardoso

Pros
  • Good benefits, okay time off, ability to buy extra vacation time, training when started was good(in 6 reviews)

• Great Home to Work Life Balance(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Working for a plant manager who is more interested in corprate image and not real operation of the one plant(in 4 reviews)

Decades of growth and satisfaction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Latrobe, PA

ProsFor me the career at KMT has been full of opportunities for growth. Post-hire training is never a problem - just ask for it if its not already on your schedule. Benefits and compensation are all on par with most companies of a similar or larger population. The breadth of products and industries served make the chances of doing what interests you highly possible whether it be scientific/technical, manufacturing/logistics, administrative/HR, sales/marketing, or IT.

ConsI could say location (cold and relatively long Winters), but HQ in Latrobe PA is only one of many global locations, so the argument could be moot. Otherwise, I can not think of a con!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO's history includes manufacturing, wherein he understands our products and our customers. As long as we keep that experience and knowledge base predominant in the leadership team, we should continue to grow prosperously.

Quality professional environment

ProsThe company has structured practices and resources to develop and promote internal talent that are comparable to world class organizations that are much larger in scale and revenue. These practices are called out in the company's core operating system... and are made a company priority.
    Kennametal also actively solicits employee feedback with an annual anonymous employee survey (delivered in many languages). And managers are expected to make improvements from the feedback.
    This company also puts a lot of emphasis on ethics, safety, and being a good contributor to local communities. (We're actually encouraged to volunteer.)
    Having worked across multiple industries, I can honestly say, this kind of commitment to employees is not common.
    And it shows in the employees... this company is full of really smart people who care about what they do and how their work makes a difference.

ConsIf you are looking for a place to coast through your work or just put in your time... this won't be the place for you.

The bottom line is the bottom line.

Machinist (Current Employee) New Market, VA

ProsThey are willing to invest in the location if you're making a profit.
    They move work to high performing facilities.
    They are always open to new ideas which save the company money.

ConsEverything seems focused on shifting from a very employee friendly company to one which is more profit driven. While this makes sense on the broader scale, there must be a balance to profits and employee engagement and retention. It looks like the days of 30+ year employees is dying at Kennametal.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more machines you attempt to make your employees run won't automatically lead to more profits. Identifying real tact times for machines and balancing the requirements of the operators would be smart. It's kind of being looked at... but the facility management seems to be overloaded while being understaffed and there's only so much they can do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Precision with our products and in our work place

Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) Weldon, NC

ProsI have never worked with such a skilled set of coworkers in my life. We are provided with what we need to get the job done. Good medical and fringe benefits. Management IS KNOWLEDGEABLE AND LEAVES THEIR DESKS AND CHECKS ON PRODUCTION! It is about producing a great product for the customer. In class we used one of the bits and it was awesome!

ConsIf you don't want to work, don't apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't see any problems, impressed that management doesn't micromanage, yet does check on progress with well informed managers.

Working at Kennametal is nice experience.

Channel Partner Manager (Current Employee) Bangkok (Thailand)

ProsOpportunity for career growth.Open for suggestions.System Driven.

ConsHandling many brands under one roof

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. Doing good

manager

Technology Manager (Current Employee) Rogers, AR

ProsGood company for stared. It bring you a nice environment to wok, nice co workers, very friendly. The company has different subsidiary trough out the United State.

ConsShift changes to much so that kind bad for people who has family. Others that the company is a good place to start and gain experience

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepare to work hard

preventive maintenance

Preventive Maintenance (Former Employee) Solon, OH

Prosable to work with my schedule for school

Conshave nothing negative to say

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

working here is wonderful superb

Technical Assistant - E (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Proshomely atmosphere, friendly people supportive seniors

Consno proper support from my department collegues very mean ones all there

Advice to Senior Managementwork out for being the number one in the field as for now & also try with any other products that can make us survive for much longer all the best

Surprising

Executive Sales (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGreat team,Experienced people,Great market recognition.good salary

Conspeople tent to leave the company soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more sales,Need more people in field who can get sales for us.

Sales operations and channel management

Sales Operation Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsHave the opportunity to learn a lot

Constrans-department communication is kinda difficult... always have conflicts with some department

Worked for Kennametal? Contribute to the Community!