Kennametal

Kennametal Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Kennametal Chairman, President, and CEO Carlos M. Cardoso

Carlos M. Cardoso

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, okay time off, ability to buy extra vacation time, training when started was good"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great Home to Work Life Balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Working for a plant manager who is more interested in corprate image and not real operation of the one plant"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The bottom line is the bottom line.

Machinist (Current Employee)
    New Market, VA

ProsThey are willing to invest in the location if you're making a profit.
    They move work to high performing facilities.
    They are always open to new ideas which save the company money.

ConsEverything seems focused on shifting from a very employee friendly company to one which is more profit driven. While this makes sense on the broader scale, there must be a balance to profits and employee engagement and retention. It looks like the days of 30+ year employees is dying at Kennametal.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more machines you attempt to make your employees run won't automatically lead to more profits. Identifying real tact times for machines and balancing the requirements of the operators would be smart. It's kind of being looked at... but the facility management seems to be overloaded while being understaffed and there's only so much they can do.

India- Manufacturing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation. Good brand value for company. Good and friendly environment. Competitive pay and perks.

ConsPeople are egoistic and sometimes non co-operative. People place self interest ahead of company interest. Especially in shop floor, management has failed to bring in efficient work culture and average age of employees is too high for a manufacturing company. People try to stop others from doing good work. Mantainance of machines is worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlz bring new technologies and machines. Machine accuracies and repeatability are too bad.

Good overall experience as an intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfriendly environment and good for personal growth

Conscolleagues are too old and can't hold new ideas

Advice to Senior Managementbring some young people to the team

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Precision with our products and in our work place

Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee)
    Weldon, NC

ProsI have never worked with such a skilled set of coworkers in my life. We are provided with what we need to get the job done. Good medical and fringe benefits. Management IS KNOWLEDGEABLE AND LEAVES THEIR DESKS AND CHECKS ON PRODUCTION! It is about producing a great product for the customer. In class we used one of the bits and it was awesome!

ConsIf you don't want to work, don't apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't see any problems, impressed that management doesn't micromanage, yet does check on progress with well informed managers.

Kennametal

Production Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company lots of stability

ConsTo much in the way with all the politics

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your People

responsible for all the design work for particular location

Proslots of facilities, good work environment

Consdiscrimination, no transparency with managers decision

Good work enviorment

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Bangalore (India)

ProsGood place to learn and grow

ConsVery US centric decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementLocal decision on sales and marketing to be encoraged

Too India-Centric

Latrobe, PA

ProsConvenient commute. Easy parking. No traffic

ConsToo india-centric. Management would rather save a buck than do things the right way. Too many "managers"

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the India-centric mentality. India will be the downfall of this company. This company functioned so much better before the COE was introduced. When making decisions, make decisions based on what's right, and not to save a dollar. So many decisions are made at the senior management level, without the input of the actual SME's.

I have been working at Kennametal full-time for a number of years

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and are family oriented for the most part . There are many great people who work here.Very safe enviroment.

ConsDepartments are very separated from one another. There is a strong disconnect between management and personnel. This leads to poor operating procedures and ultimately low morale. Enviroment can be very stressful due to inefficient processes.
    Career development and advancement is extremely poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example. Recognize the talent you have and utilize it to be advantageous for both the company AND that employee. Consructive criticism and employee feedback are belittled and ignored.

Alright pay (Due to Being a Union shop)

Quality Control (Current Employee)
    Lyndonville, VT

ProsClose to home.Minamal travel to work and day shift job.I really enjoy my Position and the people I work with

ConsGlobal Company and have to deal with people that doesn't speak fluent English and its hard to understand them,Is a very large co and not very personable to work for

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a Plan and stay with it.Way to much wasted time and money with Meetings and many other things,More focus on the customer for Ontime deliverys and Better quality

Worked for Kennametal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kennametal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kennametal CEO Carlos M. Cardoso. All 63 reviews posted anonymously by Kennametal employees.