Kennedy Jenks Reviews

3.2
Keith A London

1. Great opportunities for growth

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time

Pros

-New company vision for growth from the bottom up
    -Increasing focus on employee development and employee partnership program
    -Friendly coworkers and laid back atmosphere. Employees help each other out.
    -Work life balance is good...not a sweatshop environment
    -Flat organization (i.e. the bosses boss will take your call and will listen to you)
    -Top level management seems sincere about influencing positive change
    -Company provides opportunities to network with other staff at annual conference and allows employees of all levels to attend professional conferences
    -Great opportunity for career growth for ambitious, high-performing staff. Staff are recognized and rewarded.

Cons

-Continual reorganization/change creates confusion amongst staff
    -Training is largely self directed, and new initiatives are launched without enough explanation
    -Increased focus on performance creates "silos" between business units and offices
    -Focus on growth may have led to hires that provide questionable value.
    -Financial performance has lagged but is improving

Advice to Management

Vet the new hires very thoroughly and be more selective about hiring. Don't put the cart before the horse relative to hiring and backlog. Continue to work on better defining expectations and performance measurement for staff.

2. Incomplete

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time

Pros

Share some of the best reasons to work at Kennedy Jenks.

Cons

Share some of the downsides to work at Kennedy Jenks.

Advice to Management

Share some advice to the management at Kennedy Jenks.

3. Worst consulting firm out there!

Current Employee - Engineer in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule is allowed in most offices.

Cons

Horribly Divided and Group only oriented company with no work sharing between groups, No Team Environment, Employees in different groups acting as if part of competing firms. Inverted Pyramid company with highly paid and worthless managers, Very poor benefits package (huge deductible for heath insurance, no 401K matching). No professional development, No carrier path for employees. Top dogs (group managers) steal the credit for the work done often times w/o contributing to the work in any ways. No one cares about the new employees, no direction, no mentoring, no help. Salary employees expected to work 50-70 hours per week w/o extra compensation or comp time.

Advice to Management

Start contributing to the company progress for a change!

Great opportunities for growth and mentorship

Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Kennedy/Jenks in Denver for 7 years. I started as a staff engineer with four years of experience, and have since been promoted to project engineer, senior project engineer, and now project manager. I have been given great opportunities to grow my career through technical and managerial mentorship and guidance. One of my favorite things about the company is that we are small enough to have the opportunity to get to know everyone in the company, including our executive leadership, and we are also big to have all the resources and expertise that we need. We have ~200 staff that work in the water / wastewater engineering industry. There isn't a water / wastewater problem we can't solve and that is exciting and powerful. On top of the great opportunities for growth and mentorship, Kennedy/Jenks is an employee-owned firm. Which means when we do well, we all receive benefits through bonuses and investments in the firm. This keeps our employees motivated to do well. In Denver I have a plethora of choices of firms to work for in the water / wastewater industry. I have no intention of leaving KJ. I really respect and appreciate the opportunities for growth and mentorship, the company culture, and the strong leadership that KJ has to offer and I don't think I could be happier at another firm.

Cons

While every firm had its ups and down through the recession, I think KJ has done a great job of stabilizing itself and becoming a better firm. I don't have any Cons to share.

Company with Promise

Current Employee - Civil Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kennedy/Jenks (K/J) is a great company to gain valuable experience on a variety of projects and work with some smart people with many years of experience and institutional knowledge. For those that are willing to push themselves, there are opportunities available to take on tasks and roles that are above and beyond what you would get from a large company. K/J recently underwent a reorganization splitting the company into two business units, an Environmental/Industrial business unit and a water/infrastructure business unit, and this reorganization also led to restructuring and some substantial changes in leadership. The company leadership (old and new) is working hard to steer the company back on course and achieve organic growth by following a strategic plan that was developed by input from employees at every level (yes...as a junior engineer, I was able to voice my opinions to our CEO and other managers about where in the company I saw room for improvement, and I got to express what mattered to me in both the short and long term). There was a lot of focus on the new direction, conveying the message, and getting 'buy in" from staff. There are still kinks being worked out, but K/J has come a long way to dig itself out of a recession which hit the entire A/E industry pretty hard. I'm hopeful that with improving finances, the company will continue to grow and invest in its employees (bonuses, salary increases, and professional development opportunities). I've also really appreciated the fact that K/J is fairly flexible on hours and schedules, and that you can somewhat "build your own practice" within the company. K/J has a rich history, solid values, and has earned the respect and confidence of clients for almost a hundred years, and I believe this client-focused and quality/results driven mindset will help to propel K/J as a leading firm in the industry.

Cons

It is the nature of consulting to sometimes be extremely busy for weeks and then have lull periods where one might be looking for anything to fill his or her time, but K/J could do a little bit better job of recognizing workloads and distributing these loads. Individuals at K/J can be left to fend for themselves sometimes when it comes to finding billable work, which I've seen can be hard for some that don't have the personality to go and ask, but a little bit more guidance on how to constructively use their time during these slow periods could go a long way in reducing stress and the pressure of meeting utilization goals. After the re-organization (which I feel was much-needed) the company could do better when it comes to defining the new roles and responsibilities within the revised organization structure.

Advice to Management

Continue to push the company and employees toward growth and innovation. We can't get too stuck in the "how we've always done it" mentality, but developing employees and holding different trainings can go a long way in eliminating this mentality, and it also encourages collaboration, builds stronger teams and internal networks, and creates even more valuable employees. Seek out the "doers" when recruiting and work to retain the results-driven employees that make positive impacts on the company. All in all...keep up the good work, keep up the open communication, and keep the momentum going forward!

Great talent, poorly executed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic co-workers are friendly and helpful
    HSA contribution is nice - plan is actually pretty nice compared to competitors
    Interesting projects with engaging clients
    Compensation is fair, bonuses can be good
    Strong culture of quality, but only the veterans are truly schooled in the K/J way

Cons

401k/profit sharing leaves a lot to be desired if you aren't at the top of the food/salary chain.
    Upper management has a vision for company and business unit growth, but it hasn't trickled down to individuals and defining goals and expectations to make things really happen
    There are a lot of "silos" between organizational units - its easy to be isolated and have a very limited network or workload diversity
    Passive-aggressive communication of poor performance - rather than address problems directly, avoid talking about it or correcting the problem
    Morale is on the decline

Advice to Management

Cull out the bad attitudes, unachievable metrics, and invest in quality leadership and build effective and empowered teams. Develop stronger organizational communication skills among managers. Instill an expectation of ownership and accountability in staff, but don't allow them to fail - make sure they know they are supported and someone has their back. Encourage collaboration and invest in your junior and mid-level staff to grow them into confident and competent leaders and technical experts.

It's okay

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Broad range of projects to work on depending on your field.
    Generally friendly coworkers willing to help with information related to projects or the office.
    Good work/life balance but it's up to you to make those boundaries.

Cons

Poor training, you have to take responsibility for your own growth and push not to get pigeon-holed into doing repetitive work.
    Health benefits aren't as good as they used to be.
    A little top heavy on VPs

Advice to Management

Provide better training for beginning level employees.

It was a roller coaster

Former Employee - Drafter Designer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Drafter Designer in Reno, NV

I worked at Kennedy Jenks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional Environment, lots of meetings, great welcome meeting in San Francisco.
    Lots of preparation for meetings.

Cons

Lots of work, non stop, not enough training on new software. Some outdated software had to be utilized in spite of the detriment of utilizing it.

Advice to Management

More incentives for a better experience, more training for the techs.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Patient, great team players, some of the smartest engineers around

Cons

You have to fend for yourself as an engineer intern. Could be the difference between you have a good internship or not.

Overall, a good company to work for, but has been impacted by the recession

I worked at Kennedy Jenks full-time

Pros

Strong technical capabilities. Well established procedures and systems. Nurturing environment, but not as much as before the recession.

Cons

Kennedy/Jenks has had a significant reduction in staff since the start of the recession, particularly amongst senior individuals. Kennedy/Jenks tends to be a high cost provider of services.

RSS Feed </> Embed