Kennedy Jenks

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
3.4

Keith A London

Great opportunities for growth and mentorship

Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Kennedy/Jenks in Denver for 7 years. I started as a staff engineer with four years of experience, and have since been promoted to project engineer, senior project engineer, and now project manager. I have been given great opportunities to grow my career through technical and managerial mentorship and guidance. One of my favorite things about the company is that we are small enough to have the opportunity to get to know everyone in the company, including our executive leadership, and we are also big to have all the resources and expertise that we need. We have ~200 staff that work in the water / wastewater engineering industry. There isn't a water / wastewater problem we can't solve and that is exciting and powerful. On top of the great opportunities for growth and mentorship, Kennedy/Jenks is an employee-owned firm. Which means when we do well, we all receive benefits through bonuses and investments in the firm. This keeps our employees motivated to do well. In Denver I have a plethora of choices of firms to work for in the water / wastewater industry. I have no intention of leaving KJ. I really respect and appreciate the opportunities for growth and mentorship, the company culture, and the strong leadership that KJ has to offer and I don't think I could be happier at another firm.

Cons

While every firm had its ups and down through the recession, I think KJ has done a great job of stabilizing itself and becoming a better firm. I don't have any Cons to share.

Company with Promise

Current Employee - Civil Engineer
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Kennedy/Jenks (K/J) is a great company to gain valuable experience on a variety of projects and work with some smart people with many years of experience and institutional knowledge. For those that are willing to push themselves, there are opportunities available to take on tasks and roles that are above and beyond what you would get from a large company. K/J recently underwent a reorganization splitting the company into two business units, an Environmental/Industrial business unit and a water/infrastructure business unit, and this reorganization also led to restructuring and some substantial changes in leadership. The company leadership (old and new) is working hard to steer the company back on course and achieve organic growth by following a strategic plan that was developed by input from employees at every level (yes...as a junior engineer, I was able to voice my opinions to our CEO and other managers about where in the company I saw room for improvement, and I got to express what mattered to me in both the short and long term). There was a lot of focus on the new direction, conveying the message, and getting 'buy in" from staff. There are still kinks being worked out, but K/J has come a long way to dig itself out of a recession which hit the entire A/E industry pretty hard. I'm hopeful that with improving finances, the company will continue to grow and invest in its employees (bonuses, salary increases, and professional development opportunities). I've also really appreciated the fact that K/J is fairly flexible on hours and schedules, and that you can somewhat "build your own practice" within the company. K/J has a rich history, solid values, and has earned the respect and confidence of clients for almost a hundred years, and I believe this client-focused and quality/results driven mindset will help to propel K/J as a leading firm in the industry.

Cons

It is the nature of consulting to sometimes be extremely busy for weeks and then have lull periods where one might be looking for anything to fill his or her time, but K/J could do a little bit better job of recognizing workloads and distributing these loads. Individuals at K/J can be left to fend for themselves sometimes when it comes to finding billable work, which I've seen can be hard for some that don't have the personality to go and ask, but a little bit more guidance on how to constructively use their time during these slow periods could go a long way in reducing stress and the pressure of meeting utilization goals. After the re-organization (which I feel was much-needed) the company could do better when it comes to defining the new roles and responsibilities within the revised organization structure.

Continue to push the company and employees toward growth and innovation. We can't get too stuck in the "how we've always done it" mentality, but developing employees and holding different trainings can go a long way in eliminating this mentality, and it also encourages collaboration, builds stronger teams and internal networks, and creates even more valuable employees. Seek out the "doers" when recruiting and work to retain the results-driven employees that make positive impacts on the company. All in all...keep up the good work, keep up the open communication, and keep the momentum going forward!

Great talent, poorly executed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic co-workers are friendly and helpful
    HSA contribution is nice - plan is actually pretty nice compared to competitors
    Interesting projects with engaging clients
    Compensation is fair, bonuses can be good
    Strong culture of quality, but only the veterans are truly schooled in the K/J way

Cons

401k/profit sharing leaves a lot to be desired if you aren't at the top of the food/salary chain.
    Upper management has a vision for company and business unit growth, but it hasn't trickled down to individuals and defining goals and expectations to make things really happen
    There are a lot of "silos" between organizational units - its easy to be isolated and have a very limited network or workload diversity
    Passive-aggressive communication of poor performance - rather than address problems directly, avoid talking about it or correcting the problem
    Morale is on the decline

Cull out the bad attitudes, unachievable metrics, and invest in quality leadership and build effective and empowered teams. Develop stronger organizational communication skills among managers. Instill an expectation of ownership and accountability in staff, but don't allow them to fail - make sure they know they are supported and someone has their back. Encourage collaboration and invest in your junior and mid-level staff to grow them into confident and competent leaders and technical experts.

It's okay

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Broad range of projects to work on depending on your field.
    Generally friendly coworkers willing to help with information related to projects or the office.
    Good work/life balance but it's up to you to make those boundaries.

Cons

Poor training, you have to take responsibility for your own growth and push not to get pigeon-holed into doing repetitive work.
    Health benefits aren't as good as they used to be.
    A little top heavy on VPs

Provide better training for beginning level employees.

It was a roller coaster

Former Employee - Drafter Designer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Drafter Designer in Reno, NV

I worked at Kennedy Jenks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Professional Environment, lots of meetings, great welcome meeting in San Francisco.
    Lots of preparation for meetings.

Cons

Lots of work, non stop, not enough training on new software. Some outdated software had to be utilized in spite of the detriment of utilizing it.

More incentives for a better experience, more training for the techs.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kennedy Jenks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Patient, great team players, some of the smartest engineers around

Cons

You have to fend for yourself as an engineer intern. Could be the difference between you have a good internship or not.

Overall, a good company to work for, but has been impacted by the recession

I worked at Kennedy Jenks full-time

Pros

Strong technical capabilities. Well established procedures and systems. Nurturing environment, but not as much as before the recession.

Cons

Kennedy/Jenks has had a significant reduction in staff since the start of the recession, particularly amongst senior individuals. Kennedy/Jenks tends to be a high cost provider of services.

Sinking ship. Terrible morale and not bringing in enough work.

I worked at Kennedy Jenks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee owned, has some of the most brilliant people I've ever met, a wide range of clients

Cons

Top heavy company, no room for advancement or career development, new management unwilling to invest in mentoring mid-level staff, not winning enough work to keep staff busy

Great people, grew a bit too fast and lost the family culture, laid back environment

I worked at Kennedy Jenks

Pros

The people that work at Kennedy/Jenks are technically skilled, and it was great getting to know them personally and professionally. The office I worked in was very laid back with little to no micromanaging. Between the environmental practice and the water/wastewater sector, there were opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects. Personal time off and flexible work schedule/hours were never a problem.

Cons

There is little accountability for the work being done, despite the corporate message of quality assurance and control. In my office, the managerial structure was very loose and nearly non-existent, and the annual review process was not helpful. Because you didn't have a manager with a small number of direct reports, your career path and professional development were vague and ambiguous. The company grew too big too fast and has lost the family-run "K/J Way" that made it a great place to work under David Kennedy.

Get back the K/J Way of doing business and treating employees. Structure management within each office such that managers have no more than 6-8 direct reports that they can get to know and provide constructive feedback.