Kennedy Krieger Institute

Reset
Kennedy Krieger Institute President Gary W. Goldstein
Gary W. Goldstein

1. Working at multiple campuses

Pros

The people who work at KKI schools truly are professional quality and do amazing work with the students. Having provided services at other non-public schools in the region, I have come to find that the Kennedy Krieger School employees look out for the best interest of the students in terms of learning, well being and behavioral supports. The level of programming in place for students is high quality with a wide range of related service supports available and many opportunities for community based learning experiences.

Cons

Pay for some positions such as program aides and teachers assistants are very low for the amount of work that goes into the job, but the pay appears to be about the same, if not higher, than similar work in other schools. The staff injury level can be very high in some of the programs, especially for program aides, depending on which one you are in. Some staff members try to brush it off as part of the job, especially in programs where injuries occur several times a day.

Advice to Management

Many staff injuries get unreported, especially in programs where they occur multiple times a day. I think it is important to encourage employees to report injuries so the statistical data on injury reporting is more accurate and more supports can be put in place to protect staff members.

Easy to burn out

Pros

Lots of overtime available if you want it

Cons

On-calls, work every weekend, sometimes mandatory overtime

3. Slow to adapt to changing times

Former Employee - Instructional Media Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Instructional Media Developer in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Large network, great schools and patient care. Facilities are tremendous.

Cons

Slow to adapt to technology, It takes a long time to get much accomplished there. Many of the decisions have to go though Medical staff and the Medical staff doesn't always offer the best leadership.

Advice to Management

Put less emphasis on the brick and mortar and invest more into emerging technology. Also formalize the internship and externship process for training experiences, don't masquerade as a medical school.

5. RA

Pros

Close group of people to work with, helpful training in the beginning.

Cons

Pay, probation length, lack of communication, not many opportunities to move up

6. Not too bad, but could be better.

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kennedy Krieger is committed to its patients and students. The Institute always has the latest and best therapies, teaching methods, and technologies. Kennedy also offers good benefits to its employees.

Cons

Kennedy is less concerned with employee satisfaction and well-being. It is not uncommon for staff to feel over-stretched and unsupported from administration. There are high turn-over rates for paraprofessionals and teaching staff because of this.

Advice to Management

Keep all employees in the loop with regards to changes in their employment status (hours, wages, etc.). It is unfair to expect good morale when employees are regularly deceived and lied to about important information. Treat all employees with respect and do not diminish their experience because of corporate arrogance.

7. Good company that has a great mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time

Pros

The mission and people you work with are great. Good work/ life value and generally promote within.

Cons

Not paid the best considering the resposiblity you have for taking good care of children on the autism spectrum, but it depends on the position and how strict your manager is also.

8. good place to work around good pepole

Current Employee - Line Cook in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

you build a strong friendly place to work in

Cons

I like to cook work around food and good nice pepole

Advice to Management

Im a real nice person to work around

9. It is an experience like none other.

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This place is somewhere that I am proud to say that I work. Awesome environment, great experience for future jobs, wonderful co workers, positive place. I love what I do. I love the fact that I am helping out an environment that so many people choose to either neglect or walk all over. I love being an advocate for my kids.

Cons

I am here for the benefits of tuition reimbursement and the experience. It is somewhere that I love, but would love more if I got paid what I was worth. I know SO MANY people that are making at LEAST 10 thousand more than me a year, doing the same thing, if not less than what I do.Severely underpaid, and sometimes I hate the "politics" of the job.

Advice to Management

Increase our pay! We do so much work for this place! I think we should be getting paid what we deserve. Luckily, we love what we do....we wouldnt be here otherwise

10. A great learning experience

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great professional bonds built

Cons

School administration can be very micro-managerial.

11. My experience was good

Pros

On-site child care, shuttle service to different sites if you have to float

Cons

When it snows the day care is closed. If you have no back up sitter you cant work and if you have no PTO time you don;t get paid

RSS Feed </> Embed