Kennedy Krieger Institute

1. Receptionist

Current Employee - Care Center Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Care Center Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work. Nice environment. Good benefits.

Cons

Nepotism and favoritism filled business. Difficult to promote.

Advice to Management

You have great people who work for you. Utilize their skills and promote accordingly. Do away with the favortism. It holds your progress back.

2. Great overall company to be apart of

Pros

Very lenient with PTO Not very many people you won't get along with A lot of locations so depending on where you're at is where you'll most likely be

Cons

Certain jobs don't have very much room to move up, more lateral moving.

Advice to Management

If theres not much room to move up then allow for better increases. This can be hard though until the economy improves.

3. Providing cutting edge education and research for children with special needs.

Current Employee - Special Education in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Special Education in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment, talented coworkers, great benefits

Cons

Low salary range and poor parking availability

Advice to Management

Be more flexible about telecommuting when possible

5. Clinical Assistant I

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very hard work and out of this world experiences, people will not be able to relate to you or understand the work you do and that's what makes this job so special. Because you're doing one of a kind work and helping children and others with autism and behavioral disorders that are extreme cases from around the world.

Cons

Hard work. Be humble. Prepare to be a father or mother in training, you'll be picking up and cleaning your patient, and more likely yourself of your patient's pee, vomit, poop, and God knows what else. If something like this can turn you off, don't bother. It is an acquired skill to tolerate all these and definitely possible. Very stressful at the beginning but you get used to it, and stress goes down after 3 months.

Advice to Management

The more rules, the less the job is enjoyable.

6. Clinical Assistant I

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing entry level ABA and Behavioral Experience.

Cons

The nonflexible hospital shift like schedule.

7. School Psychologist

Current Employee - School Psychologist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - School Psychologist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent working environment. You keep learning.

Cons

My commute was too long to maintain

8. Experience at KKI has been the best, beside management.

Current Employee - Care Center Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Care Center Specialist in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The benefits that KKI has is the best. The tutition reimbursement and health benefits, the flexible hours that they offer.

Cons

I don't like the management of KKI. It's horrible and the unfair treatment that some employees receive. Supervisor need more training.

Advice to Management

Supervisors needs to train on people skills, and managing their employees. Have more support system for the employees and honor their request of complaints.

9. Love it

Current Employee - Program Aide in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Program Aide in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, satisfying job. We are work for a great cause and the kids make it great.

Cons

The pay could be a bit better. But I still love going to work so it's all good.

10. Kennedy Krieger is a great work environment, filled with great people, and with a wonderful reputation.

Current Employee - Clinician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time

Pros

The administration is flexible and collaborative, the hours are reasonable, and the health benefits are some of the best in the world (Johns Hopkins). They are also very supportive of professional development, including providing some funding for conferences and trainings.

Cons

It is in Baltimore, which is not my favorite city (though it has its benefits), the pay isn't awesome, and there isn't as much inter-departmental collaboration as there could be.

11. Overall satisfied, but there's lots of space to improve!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kennedy Krieger has a lot of great benefits such as a 401k (KKI will match up to 3% of your salary here), paid tuition, and reduced tuition (50% if I remember correctly) for your children. Health benefits, sick leave, and vacation seem to be very reasonable. I work in a position where hours are flexible. The staff is incredibly helpful and pleasant to work with. There is a 'pay it forward' mentality with respect to training.

Cons

The pay is considerably lower than what you'd expect from a government or private industry position. If funding runs dry, expect to see people let go until more prospects arise. Your work experience will entirely depend on your supervisor. I have witnessed quite a bit of favoritism that's based on personal rather than professional relationships. My experience with respect to supervisors has been less than pleasant - very unprofessional and immature, especially when comparing to such great staff. Being a hospital and research facility, expect to work weekends and holidays if needed.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to challenge supervisors for their actions and attitudes. You could really boost morale, and unlike staff, you won't risk your job for it!

RSS Feed </> Embed