Kennedy Krieger Institute

Add Photos

Kennedy Krieger Institute President Gary W. Goldstein

Gary W. Goldstein

Clinical Assistant I

Clinical Assistant I (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsVery hard work and out of this world experiences, people will not be able to relate to you or understand the work you do and that's what makes this job so special. Because you're doing one of a kind work and helping children and others with autism and behavioral disorders that are extreme cases from around the world.

ConsHard work. Be humble. Prepare to be a father or mother in training, you'll be picking up and cleaning your patient, and more likely yourself of your patient's pee, vomit, poop, and God knows what else. If something like this can turn you off, don't bother. It is an acquired skill to tolerate all these and definitely possible. Very stressful at the beginning but you get used to it, and stress goes down after 3 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more rules, the less the job is enjoyable.

Providing cutting edge education and research for children with special needs.

Special Education (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsGood environment, talented coworkers, great benefits

ConsLow salary range and poor parking availability

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible about telecommuting when possible

Great overall company to be apart of

ProsVery lenient with PTO
    Not very many people you won't get along with
    A lot of locations so depending on where you're at is where you'll most likely be

ConsCertain jobs don't have very much room to move up, more lateral moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf theres not much room to move up then allow for better increases. This can be hard though until the economy improves.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Receptionist

Care Center Associate (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat Place to work. Nice environment. Good benefits.

ConsNepotism and favoritism filled business. Difficult to promote.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have great people who work for you. Utilize their skills and promote accordingly. Do away with the favortism. It holds your progress back.

Great people work here!

Clinical Assistant (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsKennedy Krieger Institute is a great learning experience. The employees here are caring and intelligent people who you enjoy working with. They put patient's best interest at heart. Health benefits are great, and there is free parking!

ConsLow compensation. Depending what your job is, there may be a high turn over rate due to the nature of the job (understandably). May have politics within the department you work for, but that may be true in most work places.

Mostly happy.

Developmental Pediatrician (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat people. Positive work environment. It's all about helping children with disabilities and disorders of brain and spinal cord.

ConsLarge organization. Relatively low salaries.

It is a tremendous opportunity to learn and grow with the best in the industry.

Faculty (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsWorking on cutting edge research with industry leaders and world recognized personnel. It provides a diverse and challenging workload that can be very rewarding.

ConsLow salary and very demanding work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that tolerating poor performers is frustrating and demotivating to the top performers.

Overall satisfied, but there's lots of space to improve!

Baltimore, MD

ProsKennedy Krieger has a lot of great benefits such as a 401k (KKI will match up to 3% of your salary here), paid tuition, and reduced tuition (50% if I remember correctly) for your children. Health benefits, sick leave, and vacation seem to be very reasonable. I work in a position where hours are flexible. The staff is incredibly helpful and pleasant to work with. There is a 'pay it forward' mentality with respect to training.

ConsThe pay is considerably lower than what you'd expect from a government or private industry position. If funding runs dry, expect to see people let go until more prospects arise. Your work experience will entirely depend on your supervisor. I have witnessed quite a bit of favoritism that's based on personal rather than professional relationships. My experience with respect to supervisors has been less than pleasant - very unprofessional and immature, especially when comparing to such great staff. Being a hospital and research facility, expect to work weekends and holidays if needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to challenge supervisors for their actions and attitudes. You could really boost morale, and unlike staff, you won't risk your job for it!

Kennedy Krieger is a great work environment, filled with great people, and with a wonderful reputation.

Clinician (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsThe administration is flexible and collaborative, the hours are reasonable, and the health benefits are some of the best in the world (Johns Hopkins). They are also very supportive of professional development, including providing some funding for conferences and trainings.

ConsIt is in Baltimore, which is not my favorite city (though it has its benefits), the pay isn't awesome, and there isn't as much inter-departmental collaboration as there could be.

Love it

Program Aide (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsFriendly, satisfying job. We are work for a great cause and the kids make it great.

ConsThe pay could be a bit better. But I still love going to work so it's all good.

Worked for Kennedy Krieger Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kennedy Krieger Institute reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kennedy Krieger Institute CEO Gary W. Goldstein. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Kennedy Krieger Institute employees.