Kennedy Krieger Institute

Gary W. Goldstein

Clinical Assistant I

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very hard work and out of this world experiences, people will not be able to relate to you or understand the work you do and that's what makes this job so special. Because you're doing one of a kind work and helping children and others with autism and behavioral disorders that are extreme cases from around the world.

Cons

Hard work. Be humble. Prepare to be a father or mother in training, you'll be picking up and cleaning your patient, and more likely yourself of your patient's pee, vomit, poop, and God knows what else. If something like this can turn you off, don't bother. It is an acquired skill to tolerate all these and definitely possible. Very stressful at the beginning but you get used to it, and stress goes down after 3 months.

The more rules, the less the job is enjoyable.

Providing cutting edge education and research for children with special needs.

Current Employee - Special Education  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Special Education in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good environment, talented coworkers, great benefits

Cons

Low salary range and poor parking availability

Be more flexible about telecommuting when possible

Great overall company to be apart of

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Very lenient with PTO
    Not very many people you won't get along with
    A lot of locations so depending on where you're at is where you'll most likely be

Cons

Certain jobs don't have very much room to move up, more lateral moving.

If theres not much room to move up then allow for better increases. This can be hard though until the economy improves.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Receptionist

Current Employee - Care Center Associate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Care Center Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Place to work. Nice environment. Good benefits.

Cons

Nepotism and favoritism filled business. Difficult to promote.

You have great people who work for you. Utilize their skills and promote accordingly. Do away with the favortism. It holds your progress back.

Clinical Assistant

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers! Day shift during the week is awesome! Team members are very helpful. It is awesome to see a child progress and their behaviors diminish.

Cons

Stressful and tiring. It's takes a special person to work on this unit. You will be wiped out after a few days. Scheduling can be rough as well, especially with on calls!

Insightful!

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits! The tuition benefit and live near your work program are great incentives!

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth depending on what department you work for but is a great place to gain experience. Needs more training and professional development programs for mid-line managers and lower level employees.

Try to make human capital management more of a priority.

Great people work here!

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Kennedy Krieger Institute is a great learning experience. The employees here are caring and intelligent people who you enjoy working with. They put patient's best interest at heart. Health benefits are great, and there is free parking!

Cons

Low compensation. Depending what your job is, there may be a high turn over rate due to the nature of the job (understandably). May have politics within the department you work for, but that may be true in most work places.

Mostly happy.

Current Employee - Developmental Pediatrician  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Developmental Pediatrician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people. Positive work environment. It's all about helping children with disabilities and disorders of brain and spinal cord.

Cons

Large organization. Relatively low salaries.

It is a tremendous opportunity to learn and grow with the best in the industry.

Current Employee - Faculty  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Faculty in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Working on cutting edge research with industry leaders and world recognized personnel. It provides a diverse and challenging workload that can be very rewarding.

Cons

Low salary and very demanding work environment.

Understand that tolerating poor performers is frustrating and demotivating to the top performers.

Overall satisfied, but there's lots of space to improve!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kennedy Krieger has a lot of great benefits such as a 401k (KKI will match up to 3% of your salary here), paid tuition, and reduced tuition (50% if I remember correctly) for your children. Health benefits, sick leave, and vacation seem to be very reasonable. I work in a position where hours are flexible. The staff is incredibly helpful and pleasant to work with. There is a 'pay it forward' mentality with respect to training.

Cons

The pay is considerably lower than what you'd expect from a government or private industry position. If funding runs dry, expect to see people let go until more prospects arise. Your work experience will entirely depend on your supervisor. I have witnessed quite a bit of favoritism that's based on personal rather than professional relationships. My experience with respect to supervisors has been less than pleasant - very unprofessional and immature, especially when comparing to such great staff. Being a hospital and research facility, expect to work weekends and holidays if needed.

Don't be afraid to challenge supervisors for their actions and attitudes. You could really boost morale, and unlike staff, you won't risk your job for it!

Worked for Kennedy Krieger Institute? Contribute to the Community!