Kennedy Krieger Institute Reviews

Gary W. Goldstein

1. Great coworkers, management left a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Clerical in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Clerical in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. The health insurance and pto was fantastic. Good for the resume.

Cons

Very toxic work environment. Poor management. Very low salaries.

2. Yikes- Clinical Assistant

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Patients are very interesting to work with. Very rewarding experience if you have the patience for it.

Cons

I got beat up. Its an extremely dangerous job. They don't pay you well at all for the amount of work you do. They are not flexible with the scheduling. You get paid 12 bucks an hour to get beat up by the children. I got punched and bitten on my first day of training. I couldn't even make it through training.

GET OUT OF THE OFFICE AND ACTUALLY HELP. Stop being so bossy and showing favoritism.

Clinical Assistant

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with special needs children and you gain a lot of experience. The Perks are great.

Cons

Whoever is writing the reviews of 4 and 5 is obviously the recruiter. This job is dangerous. Be prepared to bitten, kicked, slapped, thrown up on and everything else. You are with the children 24/7. Since this is the inpatient unit, be expected to work around the clock! The only reason there is so many college students here is because of the college reimbursement incentive. That's if you make it to 6 months. The supervisors just sit behind a glass window and bark orders all day, while we inside a room being slapped around by children. Also if there is a big patient, they don't care about weight class, they will put a small person in the room to handle them and pray they don't headbutt you to death. Management show favoritism. Whatever horror stories you heard about this job is the TRUTH, don't let the supervisors fool you into thinking it's not! Most ppl leave as soon as they realize what the job entails, that's why they are always hiring Clinical Assistants!

Don't be so quick to fire someone, because they don't understand something. None of the supervisors stepped up to the plate to help me during training, when they knew I was struggling!

5. Overall Experience Horrible

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (less than a year)

Pros

1.Experience is good for resume.
    2.Builds skills for hardworking and multitasking capabilities.

Cons

1. Upper Management has a lot of attitude for no reason, specially the scheduling lady; shows you a rude attitude for no reason.
    2. Unfair system, don't care about anything except there company
    3. Schedule flexibility is horrible
    4. Not understanding, write you up for dumb stuff; like being sick even with a doctors note
    5. Very very very unreasonable at times

Learn to favoriting, just because someone had been there a year versus 7 months doesn't mean automatically you should be nice to the person who was there longer yet a terrible employee versus the 7 month employee. Learn to be understanding, and actually think your employees are humans. Were not trash for you to use and throw away whenever you want. All the employees work really hard in the NBU. We work harder then you supervisors who sit there in the room the whole time. Also learn to assign patients to the proper size CA's. It is the dumbest thing to assign the biggest patient to a small person who will head butt them a kill them at the spot. You guys have no common sense; and sometimes knowing you have your favorite employees and give them the patients they want. JUst out of favoritism but then the ones who are not your favorite are stuck with the ridiculous huge patients.

6. N/A

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Great growth potential, and great salary.

Cons

Not a family organization, don't care about there employees.

7. It is an experience like none other.

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This place is somewhere that I am proud to say that I work. Awesome environment, great experience for future jobs, wonderful co workers, positive place. I love what I do. I love the fact that I am helping out an environment that so many people choose to either neglect or walk all over. I love being an advocate for my kids.

Cons

I am here for the benefits of tuition reimbursement and the experience. It is somewhere that I love, but would love more if I got paid what I was worth. I know SO MANY people that are making at LEAST 10 thousand more than me a year, doing the same thing, if not less than what I do.Severely underpaid, and sometimes I hate the "politics" of the job.

Increase our pay! We do so much work for this place! I think we should be getting paid what we deserve. Luckily, we love what we do....we wouldnt be here otherwise

8. My experience was good

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

On-site child care, shuttle service to different sites if you have to float

Cons

When it snows the day care is closed. If you have no back up sitter you cant work and if you have no PTO time you don;t get paid

9. Not a "bad" organization to work for.

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Current evidence-based practices, association with Johns Hopkins, its tuition reimbursement benefit.

Cons

Low pay, dangerous work-setting (based on which department you're hired), not the best geographic location.

Provide more team-building experiences and strive for a more modern company culture.

10. Wonderful Opportunity for Professional Development, Although Not Long-Term

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked on the Neurobehavioral Unit (NBU) for almost two years.

- Wonderful benefits (401k immediately after hire, tuition reimbursement, computer payment plan, health care, and all the bells and whistles).
    - Great opportunity to work in the field of psychology, autism, and applied behavior analysis.
    - Although hard work, seeing the patients from day one to the day of discharge can be very rewarding.
    - They are willing to work with you on your schedule, especially if you're a student (majority of the NBU are undergrad or grad students). You will be working evening shift for a while but, however, you'll be able to get onto day shift in no time, even as a part-timer. Just fill out the paper work and follow up.
    - The Program Specialists were always helpful and very supportive, especially if you've always been honest with them. (i.e., calling out, opportunities for growth, issues such as bereavement).
    - You are guaranteed an hour-long break.
    - Promotions open up often, which provides opportunities for growth for all employees.
    - You can shadow a therapist for a day shift. REALLY great opportunity in getting to know the behavior team and see what they do.

Cons

- KKI's policy on providing references is that it ONLY applies to KKI itself or for a college/university limits professional recommendations to outside companies.
    - Little staff appreciation. CA of the Month award always goes to the same 10 people each month and the fried chicken buffet every August means little.
    - Coworkers hate the job and openly complain about it throughout your shift.
    - Write ups occur often, especially over frivolous things. A rumor can get your fired.
    - Neoptism from management and therapist teams tend to reward underqualified and/or incompetent employees.
    - High intensity environment of the NBU leads to high turn over rates. People have even walked out on the job during shifts.
    - No negotiation for the already low salary. I was offered CA III for $12.85 an hour compared to my new job that pays significantly more and less than 10 minutes away from me.
    - Inflexibility of schedule logisitics. For instance, you're required to sign up for a certain amount of on-calls every six weeks, full-time must work Saturday and Sunday unless promoted, and part-time were required to work at least one weekend shift. Turning down on-calls and mandatory overtime result in automatic write-ups.

- Stop encouraging neoptism by Unit Coordinators, Therapists, and subordinates.
    - Appreciating your employees goes a long way.
    - Compensate your employees more.

11. Since I have a Psych degree the one-to-one care, and treatments I learned were worth it. I worked there for 3yrs.

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-You meet great people that will most likely become life-long friends.
    -If your into human behavior this is definitely a perfect place to gain experience with harder disorders.
    -A great place to move up in your career. (The overall hospital not the Neurobehavioral Unit).
    -Tuition reimbursement after 6 months.

Cons

-Time off is difficult depending on staffing.
    - FT you have to work all weekends. PT you have to work 1 weekend day most likely an eve shift.
    -No union due to the hospital being Non-profit, meaning your job is not secure and a rumor may get your fired so be careful.
    -Expect to be injured, and they will not compensate you until your 4th day out of work.
    -Turn over rate is high due to injury, and severity of how dangerous the job can be.
    -The recruiter looks for former graduates and college students because school is reimbursed, however you may not receive this reimbursement until after 6 months and during the interview you are told that you probably wont make it to six months because the turn-over rate is so high.
    -Employee appreciation rarely exists, so expect long hours, mandatory overtime, lots of on-calls, no weekends off, no holidays off, sometimes you will not have a break, and write-ups are very common.
    -Supervisors can be unreliable, childish, and treat employees as if they are children despite the knowledge or work ethic.
    -While training on the unit current employees are told to hide the truth behind the job as a means to not scare prospective employees off.
    -Almost every employee hates the job and expresses it while working.
    -For the amount of work and hours, the pay is just a touch over minimum wage. (And this includes the raises that were given in 2014)
    -When asking a supervisor a question expect to be redirected multiple times because no one ever knows the solution.

-Increase pay