Kennedy Krieger Institute Reviews

39 reviews filtered by
3.6
Kennedy Krieger Institute President Gary W. Goldstein
Gary W. Goldstein

1. It is an experience like none other.

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This place is somewhere that I am proud to say that I work. Awesome environment, great experience for future jobs, wonderful co workers, positive place. I love what I do. I love the fact that I am helping out an environment that so many people choose to either neglect or walk all over. I love being an advocate for my kids.

Cons

I am here for the benefits of tuition reimbursement and the experience. It is somewhere that I love, but would love more if I got paid what I was worth. I know SO MANY people that are making at LEAST 10 thousand more than me a year, doing the same thing, if not less than what I do.Severely underpaid, and sometimes I hate the "politics" of the job.

Increase our pay! We do so much work for this place! I think we should be getting paid what we deserve. Luckily, we love what we do....we wouldnt be here otherwise

2. Program Aide

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

every child is unique with very different personalities, most of them being silly and uplifting - makes the job much more worth it at the end of the day despite being a tiring job

Cons

monetary compensation could be better but the tuition reimbursement helps

3. My experience was good

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

On-site child care, shuttle service to different sites if you have to float

Cons

When it snows the day care is closed. If you have no back up sitter you cant work and if you have no PTO time you don;t get paid

5. KKI

Former Employee - SLP in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - SLP in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Gained valuable experiences working with the ASD population. Everyone there is truly there to make significant contributions to the field and that is clear from the environment.

Cons

Benefits and salaries are on the low end for the hours expected from their employees. Would be nice to have more significant packages that are competitive with other areas of the market.

Would love for more emphasis on work-life balance. Loved the job but burnout happens too fast and more built in time off may improve overall productivity.

6. I love working at Kennedy! It is a great community!

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

The work that is being done is leading in the field and you feel so great to see the children getting better.

Cons

Sometimes, the work can seem like a lot and you feel like leaving. But then you see the kids doing better.

7. Great place to work

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment. Employees are hardworking and friendly. Institution serves a great community with an even greater cause. If you want to feel accomplished and fulfilled in your job this is the place for you.

Cons

The area isn't great but the facilities make up for it and security is available to all at all times. Benefits could be better.

Training and development programs could use improvement.

8. Not a "bad" organization to work for.

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Current evidence-based practices, association with Johns Hopkins, its tuition reimbursement benefit.

Cons

Low pay, dangerous work-setting (based on which department you're hired), not the best geographic location.

Provide more team-building experiences and strive for a more modern company culture.

9. Yikes- Clinical Assistant

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Patients are very interesting to work with. Very rewarding experience if you have the patience for it.

Cons

I got beat up. Its an extremely dangerous job. They don't pay you well at all for the amount of work you do. They are not flexible with the scheduling. You get paid 12 bucks an hour to get beat up by the children. I got punched and bitten on my first day of training. I couldn't even make it through training.

GET OUT OF THE OFFICE AND ACTUALLY HELP. Stop being so bossy and showing favoritism.

10. Great place to work, but only if you plan making it a career

Former Employee - Program Aide I in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Program Aide I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

It is by far the most friendly and supportive environment I've worked in. I worked at the K-8 school for students with special needs as a Program Aide I. Good hours (7:30 - 2:30), free parking and transportation (shuttle), friendly supervisors and management. I loved the kids and classroom I worked in. Co-workers were amazing. Just a great environment if you can handle kids with special needs.

Cons

As a Program Aide, $12/hr is very low. The teachers and assistants have a lot between designing lessons, paperwork, meetings, and individualized education plans, but are compensated. As a Program Aide, you work one on one with students, helping them with work, social issues, and physically transporting them to a resource area if they become a threat to themselves or others (along with accompanying paperwork). That's all fine and good but $12/hr for one of the most hands on jobs at the school is low. Raises are also capped.

Management is always extremely friendly, helpful, and supportive. Consider budgeting more for your lower level employees and you would see skyrocketing turnover rates lower.

11. A great training experience, though the compensation is not so great.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time

Pros

Great training at a world class institution; supervisors are fantastic;

Cons

The pay is not great and I was not a huge fan of living in Baltimore.

Continue the great training, consider bumping-up the pay.