Kennedy Krieger Institute

Updated October 21, 2014
3.5

Kennedy Krieger Institute President Gary W. Goldstein
Gary W. Goldstein

It is a tremendous opportunity to learn and grow with the best in the industry.

Current Employee - Faculty in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Faculty in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working on cutting edge research with industry leaders and world recognized personnel. It provides a diverse and challenging workload that can be very rewarding.

Cons

Low salary and very demanding work environment.

Understand that tolerating poor performers is frustrating and demotivating to the top performers.

Hire people for their skills and not because they have family there

Former Employee - CNA in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - CNA in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Doctors and caring Physician Asst

Cons

no more family working in the same job area

Get better training in dealing with truthful people not untruthful ones respect everyone no matter what title people LIE!!!!!!!

Overall Experience Horrible

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (less than an year)

Pros

1.Experience is good for resume.
    2.Builds skills for hardworking and multitasking capabilities.

Cons

1. Upper Management has a lot of attitude for no reason, specially the scheduling lady; shows you a rude attitude for no reason.
    2. Unfair system, don't care about anything except there company
    3. Schedule flexibility is horrible
    4. Not understanding, write you up for dumb stuff; like being sick even with a doctors note
    5. Very very very unreasonable at times

Learn to favoriting, just because someone had been there a year versus 7 months doesn't mean automatically you should be nice to the person who was there longer yet a terrible employee versus the 7 month employee. Learn to be understanding, and actually think your employees are humans. Were not trash for you to use and throw away whenever you want. All the employees work really hard in the NBU. We work harder then you supervisors who sit there in the room the whole time. Also learn to assign patients to the proper size CA's. It is the dumbest thing to assign the biggest patient to a small person who will head butt them a kill them at the spot. You guys have no common sense; and sometimes knowing you have your favorite employees and give them the patients they want. JUst out of favoritism but then the ones who are not your favorite are stuck with the ridiculous huge patients.

Great overall company to be apart of

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Very lenient with PTO
    Not very many people you won't get along with
    A lot of locations so depending on where you're at is where you'll most likely be

Cons

Certain jobs don't have very much room to move up, more lateral moving.

If theres not much room to move up then allow for better increases. This can be hard though until the economy improves.

N/A

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Great growth potential, and great salary.

Cons

Not a family organization, don't care about there employees.

Overall satisfied, but there's lots of space to improve!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kennedy Krieger has a lot of great benefits such as a 401k (KKI will match up to 3% of your salary here), paid tuition, and reduced tuition (50% if I remember correctly) for your children. Health benefits, sick leave, and vacation seem to be very reasonable. I work in a position where hours are flexible. The staff is incredibly helpful and pleasant to work with. There is a 'pay it forward' mentality with respect to training.

Cons

The pay is considerably lower than what you'd expect from a government or private industry position. If funding runs dry, expect to see people let go until more prospects arise. Your work experience will entirely depend on your supervisor. I have witnessed quite a bit of favoritism that's based on personal rather than professional relationships. My experience with respect to supervisors has been less than pleasant - very unprofessional and immature, especially when comparing to such great staff. Being a hospital and research facility, expect to work weekends and holidays if needed.

Don't be afraid to challenge supervisors for their actions and attitudes. You could really boost morale, and unlike staff, you won't risk your job for it!

Kennedy Krieger is a great work environment, filled with great people, and with a wonderful reputation.

Current Employee - Clinician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time

Pros

The administration is flexible and collaborative, the hours are reasonable, and the health benefits are some of the best in the world (Johns Hopkins). They are also very supportive of professional development, including providing some funding for conferences and trainings.

Cons

It is in Baltimore, which is not my favorite city (though it has its benefits), the pay isn't awesome, and there isn't as much inter-departmental collaboration as there could be.

Good company, rough department

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meaningful work, good culture and management was overall very nice and helpful.

Cons

Working in the NBU can be tough, the patients are some of the most intense...CAs are underpaid, work schedules are predetermined and inflexible with the exception that they will work around any classes you are taking.

Would be helpful to find a better way to do scheduling. Have the employees actually talk to the administration rather than just submit preferences and hope for the best.

Love it

Current Employee - Program Aide in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Program Aide in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly, satisfying job. We are work for a great cause and the kids make it great.

Cons

The pay could be a bit better. But I still love going to work so it's all good.

Receptionist

Current Employee - Care Center Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Care Center Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Place to work. Nice environment. Good benefits.

Cons

Nepotism and favoritism filled business. Difficult to promote.

You have great people who work for you. Utilize their skills and promote accordingly. Do away with the favortism. It holds your progress back.