Kennedy Krieger Institute

Updated September 22, 2014
3.7

Kennedy Krieger Institute President Gary W. Goldstein
Gary W. Goldstein

Wide range of opportunities for employment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Kennedy has a job in almost every field of the professional world, and you will learn a lot no matter what department you're in.

Cons

Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of favoritism in place in many departments and you may not get the compensation you deserve.

Take a closer look at the management of your departments and make sure that their practices meet your requirements for excellence.

Good place for learning and building connections

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

A good place to build relationships with some very smart people. Excellent resources in the form of classes/libraries/study groups through Johns Hopkins University.

Cons

Being a small Institute it is very hierarchial with alot of inside politics. Difficult to have any form of career growth. In research labs, your experience depends entirely on your PI as he/she defines the lab ethics & environment.

Figure out ways to improve career growth opportunities in research labs to stem the attrition rate and improve quality of research.

Great kids, very standards and LOADS of Favortism

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Kennedy has many caring staff members that really love the children. It isn't a big hospital at all so if you like to work somewhere that doesn't have a dozen rooms you will probably like it here. Staff is offered nice breaks, and tuition reimbursement is there, and very good if you are going on to pursue somehting in the nursing field.

Cons

There is HUGE corruption in upper management. They like who they like and that's the way it is. Don't expect any major favors unless they really like you. Recently I have picked up attitudes of favortism. Once your in there you will see it, feel it, and hear it. There is lots of lazy staff members as well. As I said people are allowed to get away with things such as leaving the floor, talking and texting on cell phones at the front desk. It is almost as if the place is a complete joke sometimes and not a REAL hospital. Pay is very, very, low. I am making 13.50. I made more back in Delaware with a non-profit organization. plus if your working as a tech you should be aware hat kennedy uses a lot of resources from hopkins (Emergency room, Pharmacy, and other appointments) therefore the tech has to run back and forth through their raggedy tunnel and take patient's to appointments, or ru to pharmacy all the time. It is not a short walk either. It is annoying and kennedy needs to upgrade and stop being cheap!

PLEASE get it together and start paying attention. Stop gossiping like five year olds and start watching the people who aren't doing there job, or somewhere hiding. Provide feedback and survey's to your employees so you can really so who truly loves the organzation and who is really there to play games.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best benefits package of any company

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

The benefits & the rewarding work that we do. Also, in my department opportunity for advancement is rather quick .

Cons

Time off isn't always easy to come by, we are underpaid, and there is favoritism.

Rotating weekends like back in the old days should be reinstated.

Great place to work put pay lacking.

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Great work life balance, nice work environment, wonderful co-workers.

Cons

The pay was below average.

I like how institute is making itself more known in the community.

A rewarding place to work

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute

Pros

Kennedy Krieger offers a great benefits package including tuition reimbursement, computer purchase assistance, live near your work programs, and good health and dental insurance. The institute is very large and offers a wide range of jobs. The population served is very deserving, which provides the employees with a sense of importance. It's not just a paycheck.

Cons

Some jobs could be considered high stress and time off is not always easy to receive. Promotions are sometimes given to preferred people as opposed to the right person for the job

Please provide more support for high stress jobs. Just like you, we work hard. Sometimes we need a "mental health day".

Worked for Kennedy Krieger Institute? Contribute to the Community!