Kennedy Krieger Institute

Employment Status

Reset

Clinical Assistant

Former Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers! Day shift during the week is awesome! Team members are very helpful. It is awesome to see a child progress and their behaviors diminish.

Cons

Stressful and tiring. It's takes a special person to work on this unit. You will be wiped out after a few days. Scheduling can be rough as well, especially with on calls!

2. Great coworkers, management left a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Clerical in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Clerical in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. The health insurance and pto was fantastic. Good for the resume.

Cons

Very toxic work environment. Poor management. Very low salaries.

Clinical Assistant

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with special needs children and you gain a lot of experience. The Perks are great.

Cons

Whoever is writing the reviews of 4 and 5 is obviously the recruiter. This job is dangerous. Be prepared to bitten, kicked, slapped, thrown up on and everything else. You are with the children 24/7. Since this is the inpatient unit, be expected to work around the clock! The only reason there is so many college students here is because of the college reimbursement incentive. That's if you make it to 6 months. The supervisors just sit behind a glass window and bark orders all day, while we inside a room being slapped around by children. Also if there is a big patient, they don't care about weight class, they will put a small person in the room to handle them and pray they don't headbutt you to death. Management show favoritism. Whatever horror stories you heard about this job is the TRUTH, don't let the supervisors fool you into thinking it's not! Most ppl leave as soon as they realize what the job entails, that's why they are always hiring Clinical Assistants!

Advice to Management

Don't be so quick to fire someone, because they don't understand something. None of the supervisors stepped up to the plate to help me during training, when they knew I was struggling!

Insightful!

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits! The tuition benefit and live near your work program are great incentives!

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth depending on what department you work for but is a great place to gain experience. Needs more training and professional development programs for mid-line managers and lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Try to make human capital management more of a priority.

6. Great people work here!

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kennedy Krieger Institute is a great learning experience. The employees here are caring and intelligent people who you enjoy working with. They put patient's best interest at heart. Health benefits are great, and there is free parking!

Cons

Low compensation. Depending what your job is, there may be a high turn over rate due to the nature of the job (understandably). May have politics within the department you work for, but that may be true in most work places.

7. Since I have a Psych degree the one-to-one care, and treatments I learned were worth it. I worked there for 3yrs.

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-You meet great people that will most likely become life-long friends.
    -If your into human behavior this is definitely a perfect place to gain experience with harder disorders.
    -A great place to move up in your career. (The overall hospital not the Neurobehavioral Unit).
    -Tuition reimbursement after 6 months.

Cons

-Time off is difficult depending on staffing.
    - FT you have to work all weekends. PT you have to work 1 weekend day most likely an eve shift.
    -No union due to the hospital being Non-profit, meaning your job is not secure and a rumor may get your fired so be careful.
    -Expect to be injured, and they will not compensate you until your 4th day out of work.
    -Turn over rate is high due to injury, and severity of how dangerous the job can be.
    -The recruiter looks for former graduates and college students because school is reimbursed, however you may not receive this reimbursement until after 6 months and during the interview you are told that you probably wont make it to six months because the turn-over rate is so high.
    -Employee appreciation rarely exists, so expect long hours, mandatory overtime, lots of on-calls, no weekends off, no holidays off, sometimes you will not have a break, and write-ups are very common.
    -Supervisors can be unreliable, childish, and treat employees as if they are children despite the knowledge or work ethic.
    -While training on the unit current employees are told to hide the truth behind the job as a means to not scare prospective employees off.
    -Almost every employee hates the job and expresses it while working.
    -For the amount of work and hours, the pay is just a touch over minimum wage. (And this includes the raises that were given in 2014)
    -When asking a supervisor a question expect to be redirected multiple times because no one ever knows the solution.

Advice to Management

-Increase pay
    -Appreciate employees.
    -improve working conditions.

8. Clinical Assistant I

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant I in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very hard work and out of this world experiences, people will not be able to relate to you or understand the work you do and that's what makes this job so special. Because you're doing one of a kind work and helping children and others with autism and behavioral disorders that are extreme cases from around the world.

Cons

Hard work. Be humble. Prepare to be a father or mother in training, you'll be picking up and cleaning your patient, and more likely yourself of your patient's pee, vomit, poop, and God knows what else. If something like this can turn you off, don't bother. It is an acquired skill to tolerate all these and definitely possible. Very stressful at the beginning but you get used to it, and stress goes down after 3 months.

Advice to Management

The more rules, the less the job is enjoyable.

Mostly happy.

Current Employee - Developmental Pediatrician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Developmental Pediatrician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Positive work environment. It's all about helping children with disabilities and disorders of brain and spinal cord.

Cons

Large organization. Relatively low salaries.

10. Hire people for their skills and not because they have family there

Former Employee - CNA in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - CNA in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Kennedy Krieger Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Doctors and caring Physician Asst

Cons

no more family working in the same job area

Advice to Management

Get better training in dealing with truthful people not untruthful ones respect everyone no matter what title people LIE!!!!!!!

11. Providing cutting edge education and research for children with special needs.

Current Employee - Special Education in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Special Education in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kennedy Krieger Institute part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment, talented coworkers, great benefits

Cons

Low salary range and poor parking availability

Advice to Management

Be more flexible about telecommuting when possible

RSS Feed </> Embed