Kennelwood Pet Resorts

Christopher B. Danforth

Nepotism

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Get to bring dog to work
    - Relaxed work environment
    - Getting to work with animals

Cons

- Poor Pay for the amount of hours and effort
    - You will not get ANYWHERE if you are not friends with the owner of the company or with the district manager. Be prepared to have any major (or minor) concerns ignored if you are not part of the "in-crowd". Also, don't expect to get promoted unless you are family.
    - Even though working with the animals is a pro in this case it is also a con. You end up seeing a lot of animals go uncared for and people paying for services that their pets did not receive even after bringing attention to your manager who will then ignore you.
    - LONG hours with no lunches or breaks.

Get quality managers who aren't promoted by their mom's after not even having an interview for the position and your business will succeed.

Horrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Boarding Attendant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Boarding Attendant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. dogs, 2. If you have a drug problem, you have a job! Just don't lose your timecard.

Cons

This place is abhorrent. The company is owned and operated by people who have no experience or knowledge regarding the jobs that they are paid to do, but plenty of experience brown nosing each other. Management has no respect for each other, much less their employees. Requests to improve working conditions are ignored or will get you fired. New and lazy employees are rewarded by getting holidays and weekends off while long term and dedicated employees are punished by being overworked. The yearly raise (same for everyone regardless of how much work you put in) is a slap in the face. No advancement opportunities (they hire from outside.) Equipment and conditions are dangerous for animals and humans. Most of all, the animals are often not cared for properly because of management's lack of ability or interest to staff company adequately and with quality, knowledgable employees. This company still exists because A. it's backed by old money (do some research,) and B. clients are unaware of what goes on behind closed doors - in that order. Like previous reviews say, there are definitely shady business practices going on and the higher ups should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves. Don't work here. You'll be happier and more appreciated flipping burgers.

Hire actual humans with hearts to replace yourselves and go away.

Worst job I have ever had

Former Employee - Groom Tech in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Groom Tech in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The animals and the customers,

Cons

Not enough time to get everything done.
    I worked all day no bathroom break and no lunch break
    was told in training dogs had to be let out of crates to potty. I let my animals out which put me behind on bathing. others did not let dogs out and they were accidents in crates. rude groomers rude manager

stop running a sweat shop. It should be all about the animals. My dog will never go to kennelwood since I have seen what goes on behind the scenes.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None. I found everyone from the customer service to the management to be rude and demeaning. Though only good thing was the cute dogs.

Cons

They have shady business practices. When I asked about it I was told "oh well, it's not like the dogs can tell their owners." I also experienced more attitude there than at any other job that I have ever had!

Get better business practices and actually care about employees and dogs

Disappointed and disheartened

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts

Pros

The dogs were great and they would get so happy when they saw you

Cons

There are shady business practices and the management cares more about money then the dogs or customers. There was little consideration about employee safety and the coworkers were awful. People were verbally attacked daily and it's was hostile. There was a high turn over because of it. They would not promote from within unless you were friends with managment. There was favoritism and if you reported something expect to be verbally went after by coworkers if not written up by management.

Actually follow your TLC motto and care about the dogs and customers. Get new front desk workers they were rude to customers and overall make it a better work environment.

Very Disappointing

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you genuinely love dogs you will enjoy the opportunity to meet many.

Cons

If you love animals you will be disappointed in how they are cared for at the pet hotel located on Page. Poor management, deceitful business practices and a lack of genuine concern for the welfare of employees and the animals in their care. It's all about making money without concern for ethics, integrity or Best Practices.

Greater profits can be earned by being a company that is trustworthy in a manner that earns the respect of customers and employees alike.

Disheartened Worker

Former Employee - Cross-Trained in Ballwin, MO
    Former Employee - Cross-Trained in Ballwin, MO

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being around dogs.
    Pretty flexible scheduling.

Cons

Clique-like coworkers, you can tend to feel left out.
    Working most holidays while Customer Service and Grooming staff are off.
    Injuries are common, floors are often slick and dogs will pull you around harshly.
    Managers choose favorites, and typically the rest of the workers follow suit.

Making sure that all Kennelwood locations are ran by people who are professional and not just there to "gossip" or take advantage of their power. Investigating more on how certain Kennelwood's are ran (show up without warning).

Dog Groomer

Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a pet stylist you dont have to answer the phone The most they pay for a groom dog is 50% commission

Cons

but they only pay 25% for add ons and 25% for bath dogs.

Good place to work while in school

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts

Pros

They were very flexible with hours and worked around my school schedule well.

Cons

They are open 365 days of a year and require you to work most all holidays and weekends. Also the pay could certainly be better

It is very rewarding to work with individuals who have a common passion for animals.

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Kennelwood Pet Resorts

Pros

Company stability - been in business for 36 years.
    Can bring pet to work - great environent.
    Casual dress code.
    Supportive management team.
    Fun workplace

Cons

Minimum wage for most entry level positions

Continue to promote from within.