Kennelwood Pet Resorts Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
Christopher B. Danforth

1. Great Environment for Pet Lovers. The jobs are physically demanding and it is a loud environment.

I have been working at Kennelwood Pet Resorts

Pros

Work with other pet lovers.

Cons

Some days scheduled from 7 am to 6 pm.

2. the dogs are great

Former Employee - Dog Groomer
    Former Employee - Dog Groomer

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts

Pros

The dogs are great and most of the owners

Cons

Long hours, no recognition for good job from supervisors.

Advice to Management

Realize that your workers can make or break your company's reputation

3. Rewarding career and plenty of opportunity in this family like company.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits offered, great co-workers, paid holidays, flexible schedules, promotes from within, and of course you get to bring your dog to work!

Cons

Company pays minimum wage for entry level positions.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within. Continue to listen to employee's ideas and suggestions for enhancing services.

5. Taught me to boycott everything Danforth owned or associated

I have been working at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The dogs, the dogs, the occasional cookie cake, The poor workers who do it all for the legal minimum and still try in spite of the impossible positions we are put in by management.

Cons

The ownership, the corporate leadership, the management, the facilities, the company policies, the pay, the benefits, the "bonuses,"

Advice to Management

Close it down. Dogs are being neglected and harmed because of your policies. Franchising is a pipe dream, let it go. Chris Danforth and Alan Jones are an embarrassment to this industry, completely delusional, callous, and ignorant to the realities of this business. Stop hiring Alan's relatives, they're all jokes. Convince Chris Danforth to divest his interests in the company and bring in ownership who have a clue and a heart.

6. Nepotism

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Get to bring dog to work - Relaxed work environment - Getting to work with animals

Cons

- Poor Pay for the amount of hours and effort - You will not get ANYWHERE if you are not friends with the owner of the company or with the district manager. Be prepared to have any major (or minor) concerns ignored if you are not part of the "in-crowd". Also, don't expect to get promoted unless you are family. - Even though working with the animals is a pro in this case it is also a con. You end up seeing a lot of animals go uncared for and people paying for services that their pets did not receive even after bringing attention to your manager who will then ignore you. - LONG hours with no lunches or breaks.

Advice to Management

Get quality managers who aren't promoted by their mom's after not even having an interview for the position and your business will succeed.

7. Horrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Boarding Attendant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Boarding Attendant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. dogs, 2. If you have a drug problem, you have a job! Just don't lose your timecard.

Cons

This place is abhorrent. The company is owned and operated by people who have no experience or knowledge regarding the jobs that they are paid to do, but plenty of experience brown nosing each other. Management has no respect for each other, much less their employees. Requests to improve working conditions are ignored or will get you fired. New and lazy employees are rewarded by getting holidays and weekends off while long term and dedicated employees are punished by being overworked. The yearly raise (same for everyone regardless of how much work you put in) is a slap in the face. No advancement opportunities (they hire from outside.) Equipment and conditions are dangerous for animals and humans. Most of all, the animals are often not cared for properly because of management's lack of ability or interest to staff company adequately and with quality, knowledgable employees. This company still exists because A. it's backed by old money (do some research,) and B. clients are unaware of what goes on behind closed doors - in that order. Like previous reviews say, there are definitely shady business practices going on and the higher ups should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves. Don't work here. You'll be happier and more appreciated flipping burgers.

Advice to Management

Hire actual humans with hearts to replace yourselves and go away.

8. Worst job I have ever had

Former Employee - Groom Tech in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Groom Tech in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The animals and the customers,

Cons

Not enough time to get everything done. I worked all day no bathroom break and no lunch break was told in training dogs had to be let out of crates to potty. I let my animals out which put me behind on bathing. others did not let dogs out and they were accidents in crates. rude groomers rude manager

Advice to Management

stop running a sweat shop. It should be all about the animals. My dog will never go to kennelwood since I have seen what goes on behind the scenes.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. I found everyone from the customer service to the management to be rude and demeaning. Though only good thing was the cute dogs.

Cons

They have shady business practices. When I asked about it I was told "oh well, it's not like the dogs can tell their owners." I also experienced more attitude there than at any other job that I have ever had!

Advice to Management

Get better business practices and actually care about employees and dogs

10. Disappointed and disheartened

I worked at Kennelwood Pet Resorts

Pros

The dogs were great and they would get so happy when they saw you

Cons

There are shady business practices and the management cares more about money then the dogs or customers. There was little consideration about employee safety and the coworkers were awful. People were verbally attacked daily and it's was hostile. There was a high turn over because of it. They would not promote from within unless you were friends with managment. There was favoritism and if you reported something expect to be verbally went after by coworkers if not written up by management.

Advice to Management

Actually follow your TLC motto and care about the dogs and customers. Get new front desk workers they were rude to customers and overall make it a better work environment.

Very Disappointing

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Kennelwood Pet Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you genuinely love dogs you will enjoy the opportunity to meet many.

Cons

If you love animals you will be disappointed in how they are cared for at the pet hotel located on Page. Poor management, deceitful business practices and a lack of genuine concern for the welfare of employees and the animals in their care. It's all about making money without concern for ethics, integrity or Best Practices.

Advice to Management

Greater profits can be earned by being a company that is trustworthy in a manner that earns the respect of customers and employees alike.

RSS Feed </> Embed