Kennywood

www.kennywoodentertainment.com

Kennywood Reviews

2.9

Harry Henninger

My experience during my first year was wonderful. Once they changed management, the experience went downward.

Current Employee - Cafe Employee  in  West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Cafe Employee in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Kennywood part-time for more than a year

Pros

Have the opportunity to learn valuable skills such as team work, customer service and communication skills.

Cons

Not very well run and there tends to be favoritism shown to employees by managers and supervisors.

If you want the place to run more effectively and efficiently, you need to hire people who are more qualified. You can't have biology majors running the business.

hard

Former Employee - Food and Beverage  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Kennywood part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

you make good money. kind of

Cons

they dont care about you, you work 13 hour shifts all the time, only get " good" pay because you are always there. ALWAYS. they own you.

dont put your employees in a dangerous work environment.

Acceptable Job for a College Student

Current Employee - Ride Operator  in  West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Ride Operator in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Kennywood part-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to work outside and the people are nice

Cons

Long hours and low pay

Pay your employees better and fire the nonproductive ones

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Prepare to be underpaid and villainized for the amount of hard work you put in.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  West Mifflin, PA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in West Mifflin, PA

I have been working at Kennywood part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Though it's seasonal employment, most are guaranteed work May - December every year. There's no shortage of hours for those willing to work. Most gain valuable job experience, especially with money handling, guest service, leadership, team work and food preparation.

Cons

Supervisors and managers are grossly underpaid for time and effort required of them. Team members also somewhat underpaid at minimum wage for what is expected of them. Kennywood often villainizes team members, provides little to no privileges and takes very few steps to ensure team member safety. Employees often work in temperatures that soar above 100 degrees and are not allowed fans. Team members work with badly outdated appliances that are notoriously dangerous and prone to fires. At seasons outset, employees often have to pay upwards of 50 to 60 for a uniform not worth the thread its spun from and are overcharged in a designated employee cafe. Management often contradicts themselves and show no regard for the "children" they manage.

Upper management makes it abundantly clear that they do not care about the well being of team members and supervisors. There's an atmosphere that teens and young adults working within the park are expendable so long as a profit is made. Start recognizing just how much your team members toil in the heat, deal with cantankerous guests, and work in overall hostile environments. Senior employees recall a time not so long ago that employees were appreciated much more. Perhaps if employees were treated as people and not "bodies," there would be a lower turnover rate, ergo, there would be less hiring/firing and fewer bad seeds. Reassess the way you treat your subordinates and perhaps the atmosphere will improve.

Completely awful

Former Employee - Games  in  West Mifflin, PA
    Former Employee - Games in West Mifflin, PA

I worked at Kennywood

Pros

You get a lot of hours and most of the people are decent to work with. The paychecks are never bad.

Cons

The shifts are way too long. You are underpaid for how much time you put in there everyday. They don't ever let you leave your game when you need to go to the bathroom because there aren't enough employees even though there's other game stands with too many employees.

The management should be more fair with how many employees are allowed to be there at each game. Games should also open late when people are actually going to play them.

Kennywood Park

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Mifflin, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Mifflin, PA

I worked at Kennywood

Pros

Kennywood Park is a fun place to work, offering team member perks such as free admittance to the Park and several other local amusement parks, team member parties, and prizes/incentives for outstanding work. The management staff is friendly and helpful, and the true spirit of "team" is evident throughout all departments.

Cons

Kennywood Park pays team members minimum wage, yet expects EXCEPTIONAL customer service, as well as long hours in sweltering heat. Many positions within the organization require extensive training to ensure guest safety, and should be appropriately compensated. Kennywood does not even offer time-and-a-half for hours worked over 40 per week, because they are not required to do so as a seasonal employer.

For the most part, Kennywood Park is a great place to work. Higher starting wages would be a positive for team members, however, because the team members are what make Kennywood one of the best amusement parks in the world.

Kennywood, good place for a summer job.

Former Employee - Refreshments  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Refreshments in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Kennywood

Pros

Grew up in the area and always loved the park. Worked with many people around the same age as myself. Seemed to be decent opportunities to advance if you were a good worker and started there during high school. I only worked there one summer (before my last year of college), but several of my co-workers had worked there 3+ years. Though I did not get promoted to a higher level position while I was there, I did get moved to a better location where I was able to get more hours.

They also organized several social events throughout the summer for the staff which was really nice. I rarely had an issue working my schedule around times I needed to be off, my managers and co-workers were very flexible.

Cons

If you worked in certain areas of Refreshments (ex. Cotton Candy Wagon) you were likely to get sent home early if it was slow or the weather was bad, which of course cut into your pay.

Might not be able to work in the area of the park you want (I really wanted Rides) unless you apply very early or, (it appeared from what I could gather) had been there awhile and were able to get transferred.

Ticket prices are a little high, especially for the current economy. Money can't be made if only limited numbers of people can afford to go to the park.

Fun at First, then Work is Tedious

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Mifflin, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Mifflin, PA

I worked at Kennywood

Pros

Other employees are around high-school age and you can make many friends; Free admission to Sandcastle waterpark as well as Kennywood

Cons

Most positions will have you sitting in the same spot all day long. The pay is barely above minimum wage.

Remember to give praise for good performance besides just criticism for poor performance, otherwise you guys are very friendly people.

its a good place of doing our job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calcutta (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calcutta (India)

I have been working at Kennywood part-time for less than a year

Pros

moving friendly with colleugs and co workers

Cons

seniority politics prevailing here often

nothing

n

Current Employee - GLS Sweep
    Current Employee - GLS Sweep

I have been working at Kennywood

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Never any time to yourself

n

Worked for Kennywood? Contribute to the Community!