Kent State

Updated August 17, 2014

3.7

Kent State President Lester A. Lefton
Lester A. Lefton

Pros
  • Great people, job security, good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Tuition waiver for yourself, spouse, and kids (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, racism in some departments, lack of care for students, weak leadership (in 4 reviews)

• I have no cons for this company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Empowering, Team-Oriented Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Twinsburg, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Twinsburg, OH

Pros

Flexible schedule, given wide breadth of responsibilities, family-like atmosphere, stress-free environment, excellent benefits

Cons

Difficult to advance, questionable policy decisions from the top, salary is on the lower side

Listen to regional campuses, departments, units

Great!

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Kent, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Kent, OH

Pros

Kent State University is growing at an astonishing rate. They are investing heavily and updating many buildings with new technology.

Cons

There are a lot of systems and processes in transition. Sometimes it is difficult to get simple tasks completed.

Good people

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator  in  Kent, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Kent, OH

Pros

People are really nice here and they never put too much pressure on you. Also, even as a part time employee, I got sick leave and holiday bonus.

Cons

If you are looking for a place that full of challenge, Kent State may not be your first because the pace here is kind of slow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best education a student can ask for!

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Kent, OH
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Kent, OH

Pros

Knowledgable faculty and rigorous courses. Diverse student population that makes the experience very interesting. I would recommend the graduate Math program with no reserve.

Cons

No cons. The Math department is strong and cares for the students. The compensation is reasonable. They also pay for gym membership.

Keep it up!

Pretty dismal as a long term career choice.

Current Employee - Information Services  in  Kent, OH
    Current Employee - Information Services in Kent, OH

Pros

Good medical benefits, free tuition.

Cons

Speaking as an Information Services employee:

There is absolutely no reward for going above and beyond what is required other than more work to do.

There is no work from home policy, yet many of us are forced to complete tasks after hours during unpaid overtime or risk being labeled as poor performers for being unable to keep up with our workloads.

To see any sort of significant increase in salary, the only option is to apply for other positions. This puts the organizational structure in constant flux and makes it difficult to find coworkers with expert knowledge in their current field difficult to find.

The working environment is depressing at best, given that we are all crammed in a small building with little natural light and a bathroom to people ratio of about thirty-five to one. To make matters worse, upper management has specified that on yearly reviews, all employees should average 3 out of 5. The only thing that this promotes is mediocre performance.

Every time we find we way to break up the tedium such as playing harmless pranks on each other or turning on some music, management tosses their wet blanket our way and ruins any sort of motivation that previously existed.

Most employees here exhibit signs of depression and at least half can be found browsing job sites first thing every morning. Little is done to improve morale and it seems as though the opposite is more likely to happen.

First off, find a way to reward employees for working hard.

Secondly, allow for a more relaxed environment. It's not necessary to schedule 'required activities' like picnics and 'team building' to get us interacting with each other. We'll do it on our own if you let us.

Lastly, work on employee retention. It's difficult to get any work done when we're always understaffed because we lose at least one person a month.

Proud to be a Golden Flash!

Pros

Having now worked at another higher education institution, I can whole heartedly say that Kent State University has really done great work to develop and promote valuable initiatives and programs, ranging from supporting underserved students, to study abroad programs, to the infrastructure and systems that support all that the university does.

Cons

Wish there had been more work-life balance opportunities, such as telecommuting or better access to exercise/recreation (time/cost/locations).

A wonderful place to work part-time

Current Employee - ESL Instructor  in  Kent, OH
    Current Employee - ESL Instructor in Kent, OH

Pros

Kent State University's ESL (English as a second language) program is booming, leading to many part-time job openings in the department. The pay is very competitive, teachers are given the freedom to conduct their classes they way they like, and the full-time staff are friendly and helpful.

Cons

There is little room for advancement to a full-time position due to high enrollment fluctuations. As needs are difficult to quantify, it is difficult to get approval for more full-time faculty.

Not bad

Pros

beautiful campus, good environment, easy to live

Cons

bad location, no job opportunities

Student Application Developer

Former Employee - Student Applications Developer  in  Kent, OH
    Former Employee - Student Applications Developer in Kent, OH

Pros

Helped me gain knowledge in .NET

Cons

Pay could be little more.

It was a great experience

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant  in  Kent, OH
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Kent, OH

Pros

Great atmosphere and a wonderful opportunity for a graduate student to earn their scholarship

Cons

Pay is not so great.

Worked for Kent State? Contribute to the Community!