Kentucky Blood Center Reviews

Reset
2.7
William Reed

1. KBC

I have been working at Kentucky Blood Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, and flexible with work hours.

Cons

No mobility within company. Low pay for the amount of responsibility.

Advice to Management

Workers keeping the company running deserve more than key chains, and popcorn as thanks!

2. Very long days, hard to balance family life

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kentucky Blood Center

Pros

Great training department, great way to gain experience

Cons

Traveling is involved. I have put 15,000 miles on my vehicle in 6 months.

3. Healthcare without sick people!

Current Employee - BC Technician in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - BC Technician in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Blood Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair hourly wage, decent benefits. I work in mobiles - I go to a different place everyday which is cool. Hours are sometimes long, but I feel appreciated. Great to work with all the awesome donors.

Cons

Hours. Had to make it to work in the recent bad weather.

Advice to Management

Yes, we are regulated by the FDA. I get it. But there really are too many strict rules on how to do your job.

5. Management by fear, intimidation and greed!

I worked at Kentucky Blood Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The only pro is that blood donors save lives!

Cons

This non-profit functions more like a greedy corporation that governs over employees with superiority. Upper level management is heartless and leads with fear and intimidation.

Advice to Management

I would suggest to take some classes in management styles. You would probably discover that your current tactics are the least effective.

Deceitful and manipulative.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Kentucky Blood Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a large, window filled office.

Cons

Upper level management received bonuses regularly, one time the bonuses were for moving offices. Did they carry in boxes? The rest of staff were very low paid and they played the non profit card, however, the agency made a great deal of money. Employees would be fired with no warning that their performance was inferior. HR lacked integrity and there was no collaboration or teamwork. I chose to be out of work over this soul crushing environment.

Advice to Management

Integrity and teamwork are not just for generic posters on your walls.

Nice work environment

I have been working at Kentucky Blood Center full-time

Pros

Good training, lots of free food

Cons

doesn't pay well, no vision insurance

Advice to Management

Pay more!

Very low employee morale

I have been working at Kentucky Blood Center

Pros

The only way to keep your sanity is the fact that there are some truly good people here that really care and are genuinely good hearted people. It just makes the situation worse when you see someone you care about getting taken advantage of and there is nothing that you can do.

Cons

Just about everything about this place is a con. The overall employee morale is so low that it makes for a bad environment. No one seems to be satisfied with how they are being treated by others, especially management. Everyone walks around constantly looking over their shoulder for the fear that they will be next to be terminated for whatever mediocre reason that HR dreams up in their little twisted heads. You are never appreciated or told "thanks" for a job well done, instead they thrive on telling you what you should be doing, what you have done wrong, or how you just all together have no idea what you are doing. It seems like hard workers get treated the worst, they do everything they can to run them out the door so they can hire some lazy person who is going to set on their butt, clip coupons and surf the internet. If you are lazy, two-faced and love to screw people over then you will fit right in here, if not no need to apply. They constantly preach that their retirement is so good, but most never make it to be fully vested, and if they have it is not worth the hell they have encountered. A pension plan does not help people much right now when they are making very low wages, have sky high insurance and can barely support their families. The turnover rate is extremely high which speaks for itself. If people were satisfied, they would stay. The Directors are all about the money, they get their bonuses while leaving a sign on the break room door that instructs employees to turn off the TV to save electricity. When they have a meal catered in, HR stands over employees to tell them how much of a serving they can have, to make sure that someone does not eat too much. And they wonder why no one wants to eat the meals now? They constantly watch the cameras trying to find something wrong instead of actually working. They have all these so called policies and rules, but will change them at the drop of a hat if it pertains to one of them. Someone could truly write a book on all the shady and dirty things that go on here, but it probably would not do any good. Just a bit of advice, stay away, find elsewhere to work you will be better off.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper management: realize that there are people out there other than yourself, start appreciating your workers more or one day you will be left running the entire show because no one else is going to continue to be treated like dirt. Quit thinking that everyone likes you, because in reality they probably hate your guts.

Awful.

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Kentucky Blood Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid training in the very basics of phlebotomy.

Cons

The management is a nightmare, the turn over rate of colleagues and management is amazing. You will be gossiped about and your life made a living hell if you are anything other than a born again Christian. Weekends off? Forget it. Time with your family? Better hire a full time nanny because you will never see your kids again. Work hours can range from 10 to 16 or more hours a day. A day off may come around once every ten days if your lucky. Being an excellent and punctual worker means nothing if your not with the in crowd.

Advice to Management

Read the "no A hole rule" by Robert I. sutton, PhD

Loved it, wanted to work there forever, then they fired me and everyone else on my shift.

Former Employee - Hospital Services Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Hospital Services Representative in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Kentucky Blood Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's for a good cause. Most of the non-management people are very amiable and easy to get along with.

Cons

Management are set in their ways, not receptive to new ideas or methods. Very easy to quickly fall out of favor with managers, especially in the technical services area. Employees can be terminated for very trivial reasons, usually for some very vague form of misconduct, so KBC won't have to pay unemployment. If you make a mistake, you will hear about it from QA/QC and your manager over and over again. Unbeknownst to the public, a lot of blood products, namely plasma, are sold to for-profit entities (used for research, cosmetics, etc) for great financial gain to KBC.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like preschoolers.

No respect and bony fingers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Blood Center

Pros

It is a full time job with benefits. The retirement program is comparable to other companies and parking is close.

Cons

Employees are treated like children. Managers are patronizing and paternalistic. KBC plays the big "Blame-Game" with the fault always settling down the line onto the lower employees. Nothing is ever a manager or director's fault. Every stray mark or tiny clerical error is a huge deal and shows up on the employee's performance evaluation. My manager marched into our lab once time and announced, "There has been too much talking and too many mistakes in here lately, so we're going to have a 'Day of Silence'!" Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, free adults right here in America were forbidden to speak on the job for an entire day or else risk being suspended or fired. Now this same manager is spearheading the new Health and Wellness program that is supposed to benefit employees and follow what the employees want. Instead it is just another way for management to control us. We are on camera every moment, even in the breakroom and off the clock, and going into the restroom. We never know when the drug testing crew will be brought in to hustle us from our work areas like criminals under arrest. We're herded into the hallway and forced to sit under their watchful eye and the cameras, searched, then forced to urinate with a monitor/collector standing right there at the stall door that has big gaps at the sides. Employees not being tested have to stay away from the restroom. Have to go really bad or on your period? Too bad..you must go all the way to the other hallway on the ground floor. There is blatent favoritism. One employee was suspended for being 15 minutes late twice in 6 months. Another employee in the same shipping dept. called in over 30 times in one year and nothing happened except she was promoted to a Senior Rep. Beware of this place. The average length of employment is a mere 2 years. You will be railroaded or fired for no reason. We all never know whether or not our badges will let us in the door or whether HR reps will be waiting to fire us when we arrive. Everyone on evening shift freaks out if a director or HR rep pulls in the parking lot and a worried announcement is yelled over the intercom.. "HR/Director is on the premises!" Then everyone waits to hear who took the "Walk of Shame".

Advice to Management

Respect your employees more. We have carried you through dozens of inspections and garnered award after award. Compared to other blood centers, you are blessed with quality employees who work very hard. After every FDA inspection, new licensing application approval, new testing equipment implementation, and major system change you always clap your hands and say "Thanks so much!". But then 2 days later you are glowering, firing, and hating again. You are earning millions with the new product licensing that allows you to sell more products in more places than ever and from now testing 3 more tests in-house instead of sending them off to another lab and paying through the nose.... so how is it that you constantly nitpick and complain? Employees are aware that the directors have given themselves generous bonuses, while crying poor to hourly employees, half of whom live under the poverty line, and refusing to give raises over 2.8%. It's becoming clearer to employees that our only option is to join a union.

RSS Feed </> Embed