Kentucky Community and Technical College System

CEO

Gateway - Not Bad

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Covington, KY
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Covington, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I like working there - It is a good environment and the students are great. There is a lot of options for autonomy and I think that it has an ok combination of student-teacher interaction.

Cons

The school is very administrative heavy and there should be more focus on faculty hiring. It has come a long way during its growth but there is room for improvement with some management interactions - I think some kind of training is needed to teach personality styles and how to interact.

Overall, Gateway is a good place to work.

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System (more than 10 years)

Pros

The staff is friendly and departments work well together. Quarterly meetings help to put everyone on the same page. College president is friendly and approachable.

Cons

I can only speak about my department, but the leader isn't the best when it comes to personal growth or encouragement. More training and communication would benefit everyone. Sometimes we don't keep in mind what we are there for... educating students. It is always seems to be about money.

disappointing

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with non-traditional students is wonderful.

Cons

There are no promotions. Adjuncts are overlooked for promotions and financial opportunity. We feel like we must beg for classes, like dogs beg for leftovers under the dinner table. Instead of hiring a full time instructor--though many are within reach and qualified, they prefer to hire three adjuncts. I have had the same salary for six years.

Consider investing in the talent among your adjunct population. Get your coordinators into the classes to observe your fulltime instructors. There is evidence of prejudice, racism, and poor teaching among them.

Love working for KCTCS

Current Employee - Math Instructional Specialist in Hazard, KY
    Current Employee - Math Instructional Specialist in Hazard, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very wonderful place to work. Excellent benefits, tuition waivers, vacation, sick leave.

Cons

I do not have any negative comments. It is a wonderful place to work.

I have no complaints.

Unfulfilling

I worked at Kentucky Community and Technical College System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work / life balance, benefits are great,

Cons

Supervisory feedback is poor, job expectations are unrealistic and need to change to keep pace with the industry they are servicing.

This is where the problem is, people need to retire when they are 30 years behind the curve.

Enjoyed my adjunct experience

Current Employee - Adjunct in Crestview Hills, KY
    Current Employee - Adjunct in Crestview Hills, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Faculty was helpful and friendly.

Cons

I was not given all info needed prior to starting my course.

Make sure to prepare new teachers with their materials prior to the start of term.

Pretty good place to work

I worked at Kentucky Community and Technical College System (more than 3 years)

Pros

Student focus, Good value for students

Cons

Slow to change and adapt

Government job. Steady, but boring, with lots of red tape

Former Employee - Senior Public Relations Manager in Versailles, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Public Relations Manager in Versailles, KY

I worked at Kentucky Community and Technical College System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a steady job, working for state government. There was a nice benefit of extra time off during the Christmas holidays.

Cons

Lots of red tape. Took 18 months, or longer, to accomplish even small tasks, such as organizing an event, due to all the signoffs necessary. The marketing department is also a world unto itself within the organization. Raises never occur, because of cuts in state funding. So get the salary you want to start with, because it won't increase unless you get promoted from within, which is rare.

Went from great to terrible

Current Employee - Confidential in Versailles, KY
    Current Employee - Confidential in Versailles, KY

Pros

vacation - salary - retirement

Cons

So many to list --- management is good ( finance) to terrible -- most of the rest of the place. Everything centers about making the bosses look good and the President look awesome. Hiring is done based on ethnicity - gotta improve the diversity at all costs! regardless of any ability to DO the job!! Very bureaucratic - and a lot of red tape. Admin is afraid to make decisions - things take forever.

Need new blood in all the upper management areas - and why do you only hire folks from out of state??? They come for a year or two and then they are off to the next job.... Folks from KY are actually interested in making the state better- but get passed over for out of state folks.

Morale down

Former Employee - Administration in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Administration in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kentucky Community and Technical College System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great compensation; tuition reimbursement; benefits

Cons

Morale; leadership; culture; working on student first