Kentucky Community and Technical College System

CEO

Gateway - Not Bad

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Covington, KY
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Covington, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I like working there - It is a good environment and the students are great. There is a lot of options for autonomy and I think that it has an ok combination of student-teacher interaction.

Cons

The school is very administrative heavy and there should be more focus on faculty hiring. It has come a long way during its growth but there is room for improvement with some management interactions - I think some kind of training is needed to teach personality styles and how to interact.

Spastic support for employees.

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System

Pros

Teaching 10 months, all of the holidays off. take a fall break, Have a spring break. And usually about a three week break between fall and spring semesters.

Cons

Lousy insurance benefits, HR throws everyone under the bus equally. No personal growth has been seen. Adjuncts are all they want to hire to minimize their expense.

Learn how to help employees, with better development and professional programs.

Average place to gain a good start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kentucky Community and Technical College System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hires women and minorities for visible roles. Offers choice of pension or 401K.

Cons

Extremely low salaries! Will not give good salaries for your worth; and, especially not for your accomplished education, even though they are an higher education institution!

Find a way to compensate staff and adjuncts their worth! Give tenures regular evaluations ensuring they are keeping up with most technical procedures and student behavioral standards to teach at an optimum level - this change could help with your low enrollment and student success!

Overall, Gateway is a good place to work.

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System (more than 10 years)

Pros

The staff is friendly and departments work well together. Quarterly meetings help to put everyone on the same page. College president is friendly and approachable.

Cons

I can only speak about my department, but the leader isn't the best when it comes to personal growth or encouragement. More training and communication would benefit everyone. Sometimes we don't keep in mind what we are there for... educating students. It is always seems to be about money.

disappointing

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with non-traditional students is wonderful.

Cons

There are no promotions. Adjuncts are overlooked for promotions and financial opportunity. We feel like we must beg for classes, like dogs beg for leftovers under the dinner table. Instead of hiring a full time instructor--though many are within reach and qualified, they prefer to hire three adjuncts. I have had the same salary for six years.

Consider investing in the talent among your adjunct population. Get your coordinators into the classes to observe your fulltime instructors. There is evidence of prejudice, racism, and poor teaching among them.

Love working for KCTCS

Current Employee - Math Instructional Specialist in Hazard, KY
    Current Employee - Math Instructional Specialist in Hazard, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very wonderful place to work. Excellent benefits, tuition waivers, vacation, sick leave.

Cons

I do not have any negative comments. It is a wonderful place to work.

I have no complaints.

Unfulfilling

I worked at Kentucky Community and Technical College System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work / life balance, benefits are great,

Cons

Supervisory feedback is poor, job expectations are unrealistic and need to change to keep pace with the industry they are servicing.

This is where the problem is, people need to retire when they are 30 years behind the curve.

Enjoyed my adjunct experience

Current Contractor - Adjunct in Crestview Hills, KY
    Current Contractor - Adjunct in Crestview Hills, KY

I have been working at Kentucky Community and Technical College System as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Faculty was helpful and friendly.

Cons

I was not given all info needed prior to starting my course.

Make sure to prepare new teachers with their materials prior to the start of term.

Pretty good place to work

I worked at Kentucky Community and Technical College System (more than 3 years)

Pros

Student focus, Good value for students

Cons

Slow to change and adapt

Government job. Steady, but boring, with lots of red tape

Former Employee - Senior Public Relations Manager in Versailles, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Public Relations Manager in Versailles, KY

I worked at Kentucky Community and Technical College System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a steady job, working for state government. There was a nice benefit of extra time off during the Christmas holidays.

Cons

Lots of red tape. Took 18 months, or longer, to accomplish even small tasks, such as organizing an event, due to all the signoffs necessary. The marketing department is also a world unto itself within the organization. Raises never occur, because of cuts in state funding. So get the salary you want to start with, because it won't increase unless you get promoted from within, which is rare.