Kentucky State University Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.1
CEO

1. Unorganized but yet organized.

I worked at Kentucky State University

Pros

Small campus, one on one interaction with staff, friendly co workers, no problems with pay, air condition rooms, HBCU.

Cons

Administration is not the best, doesn't always come of as helpful for the students, unorganized at times, change of command is a bit off, not enough Indians.

2. Toxic Work Environment

I have been working at Kentucky State University

Pros

The campus is small, and it is easy to get to know your co-workers.

Cons

Top management hires friends, family members, and church buddies over qualified applicants. Promotes the same. Fear and intimidation are common tactics used by upper management. Poor financial condition.

Advice to Management

Board needs to be replaced.

3. Great Students, Great Staff, Upper Management Has Problems

Former Employee - Support Staff in Frankfort, KY
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Frankfort, KY

I worked at Kentucky State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most students and staff are great to work with and are very dedicated to the students. The campus is small, and fringe benefits are very good.

Cons

The climate at KSU is a problem. Many people leave their jobs within weeks of being hired because of poor management.

Advice to Management

Hire managers who understand the systems at KSU and who are committed to the institution and the state. Avoid hiring managers who micromanage and treat employees badly.

5. KSU needs help

I worked at Kentucky State University full-time

Pros

Small town, close contact with students

Cons

Low pay, miserable morale, poor local image

Advice to Management

Be fair to everyone.

6. Not supportive of faculty - base decisions on "perception" rather than fact.

I worked at Kentucky State University

Pros

It is a very pretty campus. It is a small campus with small class sizes. Easy access to parking. Faculty are issued laptops instead of desktops.

Cons

Administration does not support faculty. If issue occurs with student, administration will tell faculty "perception" overrides facts. Will not let faculty present facts and documentation. In my department, faculty refuse to change, update teaching methods, and curriculum. The only tenured faculty member in department tries to get by with minimum work. Bullies faculty who try to do work and try new teaching methods. Faculty blames students for being unsuccessful. They do not see that they are doing anything wrong with their instruction even though half of the class failed. In my department we team teach. Never have faculty team/course meetings, no minutes, even though required for program evaluation from outside accrediting agency. Lack of communication between faculty and faculty and students. I felt I was set up for failure from day one due to the lack of communication, no course meetings, no orientation, and nobody explained the curriculum even when asked. The building that I worked in had major leaks to the point that the ceiling was falling down. Maintenance was very slow in addressing the issue. Mold is a big problem. I developed severe allergies that included mold.

Advice to Management

Base decisions on fact rather than perception.

7. Incompetence

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfort, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frankfort, KY

I have been working at Kentucky State University full-time

Pros

Pay is okay. One of the buildings was renovated in the last decade and is actually fairly nice to walk through. At the least the restrooms are clean there, and the water is cold.

Cons

I enjoy taking walks around campus during off time. What I have found is disturbing and shows that the university has suffered from a lack of maintenance dating back years: * Exposed wiring in kitchens. * Mouse droppings, cockroach bodies, fungus and other determent in kitchens, restrooms and other parts of the campus. * An unbelievable number of dead trees on campus, along with dead flora (e.g. in front of the business school). One of the trees had drooping branches that were brittle; it was clear that it had been dead for some time. * Mildew smell in my building that is persistent. * Lack of cleaning. Mildew and other dark stains on the restrooms walls. Unidentifiable crusting around the faucets from a lack of cleaning. * Unworkable water fountains that either project too far or feature HOT water. * Rusty light posts. Broken curbs. Poor pavement. Let's move onto the university as a whole. The last president, who just resigned, dropped the graduation rate from ~40% to 14% in her tenure. There have been enrollment drops as a result. Retention is extremely low. There have been major job cuts. Many positions remain unfilled as no one who is qualified would even begin to work at a place with such an uncertain future. Some coworkers berate other employees and faculty, calling them incompetent, stupid and other unprofessional terms on an almost daily basis. Others are disgruntled due to lack of promotions and pay raises. Or in some cases, pay cuts.

8. Building Assistant

I worked at Kentucky State University part-time

Pros

Working with the student body and being around people that care about your future.

Cons

Seems like you got paid whenever they felt like paying you. Very unprofessional at times.

Advice to Management

Be more professional .

9. The job is all right

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist II in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist II in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Kentucky State University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work - family balance

Cons

I cant think of any

Advice to Management

I dont have any advice for managment

10. Not supportive of faculty.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Frankfort, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Frankfort, KY

I have been working at Kentucky State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since a small university, there are small class sizes.

Cons

Out of date technology, working in a building that does not have heat or air conditioner.

Advice to Management

Need to support faculty - students seem to have control and the Dean overrides the decision of the specific school

11. Unrealized potential

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Frankfort, KY
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Frankfort, KY

I have been working at Kentucky State University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Frankfort is a great place to live. University has a worthwhile mission. Many good people work there.

Cons

Too many administrators, not enough people actually working with stakeholders. Barely functioning infrastructure (computer systems, hiring, purchasing, building maintenance etc.). Poor community engagement. Hiring and promotion often based on who you know and what color you are.

Advice to Management

Administrators should support programs, not hinder them. Cut out the petty power politics.

RSS Feed </> Embed