Kentucky State University

Kentucky State University Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Unorganized but yet organized.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmall campus, one on one interaction with staff, friendly co workers, no problems with pay, air condition rooms, HBCU.

ConsAdministration is not the best, doesn't always come of as helpful for the students, unorganized at times, change of command is a bit off, not enough Indians.

KSU needs help

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmall town, close contact with students

ConsLow pay, miserable morale, poor local image

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair to everyone.

Not supportive of faculty - base decisions on "perception" rather than fact.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a very pretty campus. It is a small campus with small class sizes. Easy access to parking. Faculty are issued laptops instead of desktops.

ConsAdministration does not support faculty. If issue occurs with student, administration will tell faculty "perception" overrides facts. Will not let faculty present facts and documentation. In my department, faculty refuse to change, update teaching methods, and curriculum. The only tenured faculty member in department tries to get by with minimum work. Bullies faculty who try to do work and try new teaching methods. Faculty blames students for being unsuccessful. They do not see that they are doing anything wrong with their instruction even though half of the class failed. In my department we team teach. Never have faculty team/course meetings, no minutes, even though required for program evaluation from outside accrediting agency. Lack of communication between faculty and faculty and students. I felt I was set up for failure from day one due to the lack of communication, no course meetings, no orientation, and nobody explained the curriculum even when asked.

The building that I worked in had major leaks to the point that the ceiling was falling down. Maintenance was very slow in addressing the issue. Mold is a big problem. I developed severe allergies that included mold.

Advice to Senior ManagementBase decisions on fact rather than perception.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetence

Frankfort, KY

ProsPay is okay. One of the buildings was renovated in the last decade and is actually fairly nice to walk through. At the least the restrooms are clean there, and the water is cold.

ConsI enjoy taking walks around campus during off time. What I have found is disturbing and shows that the university has suffered from a lack of maintenance dating back years:

* Exposed wiring in kitchens.
    * Mouse droppings, cockroach bodies, fungus and other determent in kitchens, restrooms and other parts of the campus.
    * An unbelievable number of dead trees on campus, along with dead flora (e.g. in front of the business school). One of the trees had drooping branches that were brittle; it was clear that it had been dead for some time.
    * Mildew smell in my building that is persistent.
    * Lack of cleaning. Mildew and other dark stains on the restrooms walls. Unidentifiable crusting around the faucets from a lack of cleaning.
    * Unworkable water fountains that either project too far or feature HOT water.
    * Rusty light posts. Broken curbs. Poor pavement.

Let's move onto the university as a whole. The last president, who just resigned, dropped the graduation rate from ~40% to 14% in her tenure. There have been enrollment drops as a result. Retention is extremely low. There have been major job cuts. Many positions remain unfilled as no one who is qualified would even begin to work at a place with such an uncertain future.

Some coworkers berate other employees and faculty, calling them incompetent, stupid and other unprofessional terms on an almost daily basis. Others are disgruntled due to lack of promotions and pay raises. Or in some cases, pay cuts.

Building Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with the student body and being around people that care about your future.

ConsSeems like you got paid whenever they felt like paying you. Very unprofessional at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional .

The job is all right

Administrative Specialist II (Current Employee)
    Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsGreat work - family balance

ConsI cant think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementI dont have any advice for managment

Not supportive of faculty.

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
    Frankfort, KY

ProsSince a small university, there are small class sizes.

ConsOut of date technology, working in a building that does not have heat or air conditioner.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to support faculty - students seem to have control and the Dean overrides the decision of the specific school

Unrealized potential

Associate Professor (Current Employee)
    Frankfort, KY

ProsFrankfort is a great place to live. University has a worthwhile mission. Many good people work there.

ConsToo many administrators, not enough people actually working with stakeholders. Barely functioning infrastructure (computer systems, hiring, purchasing, building maintenance etc.). Poor community engagement. Hiring and promotion often based on who you know and what color you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdministrators should support programs, not hinder them. Cut out the petty power politics.

Kentucky State University poor management

Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers are the best at Kentucky State University

ConsManagement is the horrible and need to leave

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave KSU

If you do not have some sort of connection with top management, you are basically screwed.

Frankfort, KY

Prosit is actually a friendly environment.

ConsIt is very difficult to get things done over there.

Advice to Senior Managementthey need to take their jobs more seriously.

Worked for Kentucky State University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kentucky State University reviews and ratings. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Kentucky State University employees.