Kerkering Barberio & Co

Kerkering Barberio & Co CEO Robert Lane

Robert Lane

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Staff Accountant (Current Employee)
    Sarasota, FL

ProsOpportunity for advancement, you will learn a ton, reimbursement for CPA exam, bonus once you pass, overtime paid at time and a half, great health insurance (as long as it's only for you), birthday cake every month, lots of fun events, tuition reimbursement, jeans days every once in a while, 401k, vacation, holidays & other PTO good

ConsLong hours during tax season, could have better training (sink or swim attitude)

Great place to work and grow.

Sarasota, FL

ProsPaid for every hour worked & bonus program.
    Great co-workers, smart and helpful.
    Flexible when you need it.
    Great paid time off allowance.

ConsExpected to work long hours certain times of the year and have to schedule vacations, life events, etc. around those times.
    Health insurance for anyone with more than one person on the plan is very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the best and standardize training for new employees.

SWEAT SHOP

ProsSome co-workers
    Some shareholders
    Location
    Provides education for the green ones
    Kerkering Barberio was known for it's name, now there is no Mr. Kerkering or Mr. Barberio involved in the company anymore. This is very sad as one in particular made this company what it used to be.

ConsThe ship is sinking and the shareholders have not even handed out the life jackets.
    I wish it was like the "old" days when every one got along with each other especially the shareholders. Why does one always want to be boss and act out? Some just can't be happy and want more and want others to be unhappy right along with him.

Too many chiefs. Too much gossiping. Too many secrets. Too many eyes.

Too many people think they can do or say whatever they please just because they are sleeping and/or are friends with their shareholder. It is a double standard around here.

Just let us do our jobs in our used small cubicles that the drawers won't even stay closed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople that are are blaming management, management can only do as much as the shareholders will allow. Remember who pays management. The shakedown has just started. Until they get control of one shareholder there will be problems. There is no respect for each other. It is all about the money. All respect went out the door when the last male shareholder retired. As we all know, each shareholder is in business for themselves. It's like executive suites, they hire their own team and pay rent and operate under the Kerkering Barberio name.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

YOU GET AND EMPLOYEE NUMBER WHEN YOUR START & THAT'S ALL YOUR ARE!

Sarasota, FL

ProsOnly the shareholders get the view. We used to have a nice view in the break room but the condos messed that up. Why do we even have a break room? You are always looked upon or check on when you go in there. Breaks are not deserved nor earned here in some eyes.

It is a known fact that you must be friends with your shareholder or else! See older posts and COMMENTS.

ConsLike someone said previously, "If you aren't friends with your shareholder, you are basically on the outs to begin with.
    Lots of favoritism.
    Certain employees are allowed to act as bosses (and not even in management positions).
    Other shareholders turn a blind eye to the chaos of their department and just care about billing clients and getting their pay." WELL SAID!

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the shareholders really make a company? Perhaps some do and some don't. Stop walking on the female shareholders. Please listen to what we are saying, please.

Be careful, beware and be prepared

Sarasota, FL

ProsName, location, reputation (you think) and coworkers.
    Free CE
    You can get your education here paid, get experience and then leave.

ConsNot appreciated as to what you bring to the table. You have no voice in this company. If you upset certain people, you get let go. The break room is monitored. If you take a break, you are stared at when certain people enter the room. Only certain people are allowed to have fun at this company.

Shareholders are in business for themselves. They operate as they are in business alone not has a whole. They all just operate under the KB name. They each have their own practice. It is just not seen as such on the outside. This is a very broken company when you get inside. Eight years and there has been change but not for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement keep up the good work. It is a tough market to be searching for a job.
    Leadership is great when you have full power.

Great reputation as a company, but horrible management of employees.

Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsName recognition.
    Name recognition.
    Name recognition.

ConsIf you aren't friends with your shareholder, you are basically on the outs to begin with.
    Lots of favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementShakedown of shareholders/managers/supervisors in order. There are good employees who want to do their jobs but it is tainted by the lack of respect provided in most departments and too many henchmen who are just out to cut heads. Not a comfortable work environment, no open door policy. And to be more realistic about the hours that they want employees to work.

unhappy at kb

Tax Slave (Current Employee)
    Sarasota, FL

ProsGood opportunity. Good location. Donuts, bagels on friday. Nice people to work with. Birthday cake once a month.

ConsSee ratings. Also, employee of the month is not based on performance, but on popularity.

Advice to Senior ManagementPretend like you care about your employees. It will make them more loyal and more productive.

ENJOY WHAT YOU DO

Staff Accountant (Current Employee)
    Sarasota, FL

ProsMy team, my shareholder, I enjoy public accounting.

ConsFavortism, long hours, location is downtown and we get a lot of riff raff in and around the building. Plus there is a PUB on the street level of the building that attracts the poeple you don't want to run into late at night when you are leaving the building alone. Management just sends out emails to warn us to be careful (just to cover their a**es.) They don't care or they would set ground rules or have 24-hour security. The parking facility is very dangerous. The Firm is just not what it used to be several years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a Christian, and as most parents taught us, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I will keep it as such.

DO YOU THINK WE WILL GET RAISES OR NOT?

Sarasota, FL

ProsWill we get raises or won't we? We are paid low base salaries because we are promised overtime, but now we are not allowed to work overtime. We are called in if we work one hour overtime like children. This is not fair in this economy! We are still working just as hard and just as much.

Location, technology, and coworkers. On the outside, it looks to be a large firm but each shareholder has his/her own practice, and it is broken down into teams.

ConsSize of firm. You don't get the family feeling anymore. If you are seen talking in the hallway you are frowned upon, it's just work, work, and work. They will beat you down to work, but do not want to pay you overtime anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have no HR dept. We have no one we can trust or talk to about anything. Management treats us like children. Who can we go to when we have a problem that is confidential? Is this so hard to ask of a company? I have a problem right now and I need talk to someone about it, and I don't feel comfortable talking with my shareholder. The dress code is terrible and is all HR can say is "I can't enforce it". Why waste money on a handbook then?

If you get a chance to work here, take it!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsFellow employees
    Dual Monitors, Personal Scanners at Deck
    Fun Functions around the office

ConsVery demanding during tax season long hours but no unexpected in public accounting
    Downtown is beautiful but attracts the homeless and it is sometimes scary coming in early and you see a homeless person sleeping by the door you are trying to enter. Security is a concern to the women.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Kerkering Barberio & Co? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kerkering Barberio & Co reviews and ratings in Sarasota, FL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kerkering Barberio & Co CEO Robert Lane. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Kerkering Barberio & Co employees.