Ketchum Change Reviews

Updated July 29, 2014
Updated July 29, 2014

4.3

David Rockland

Amazing place to work - meaningful, creative and effective change work, and smart, professional and supportive people!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ketchum Change full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coming from a more traditional management consulting firm, I really enjoy the more creative and entrepenuerial type of environmnet the smaller (but growing) K-Change team. Even at a more junior level, I have opportunities to contribute to new business and thought leadership, as well as take on client-facing roles on my projects.

Cons

Juggling multiple projects and multiple clients can sometimes be a challenge, but also keeps the work exciting and interesting.

Nicest People I've Ever Worked With

I have been working at Ketchum Change full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll work with friendly intelligent people. Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood I'll go to a meeting and walk out feeling better because I got to laugh for a few minutes. It's not all play and I'm proud of the work we do also. Senior level people are extremely approachable and they listen to their feedback.

Cons

Some clients can be boring, and there is a lot of "client pleasing".

It's ok to say no to clients. We are the experts. Could use a common area for lunch/thinking like darts or pool. This place is so creative and it's sad how many people eat their lunch at their desks.

We need more vacation days

Great boutique consulting experience, with a dash of entrepreneurial spirit

I have been working at Ketchum Change full-time

Pros

Great people, interesting projects and with access to Ketchum's client roster and a wide variety in the project work (internal communications, OD, change management)

Cons

Less opportunity to specialize or focus on one part of the business. Sometimes viewed as an afterthought (as a specialty business within a PR agency). The work/life balance is often sub-par but the limited travel is a nice feature.

Keep up the good work, we're heading in the right direction.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Entrepreneurial in spirit, where growing their business and their people is top priority

I have been working at Ketchum Change full-time

Pros

The leadership is exceptional. They give people at all levels the opportunity to speak up, take ownership of client projects and they are coaches instead of bosses. The projects vary and the clients come from all industries. You can request certain projects or clients within reason to help develop your skills or capitalize on a focus area. They really believe in their people and their vision for the company.

Cons

If compared to a traditional management consulting firm, their salaries and perks are below average. If compared to a PR company, their salaries and perks are above average. Being part of Ketchum PR, this is the paradigm they find themselves struggling with in order to remain salary competitive.

Creative, comfortable environment where one can truly shine

I have been working at Ketchum Change full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture. Nice balance between entrepreneurial spirit of a boutique firm with resources/access/brand recognition of a large organization. Diversity of clients, engagements. Creative environment is fresh and energetic. Atypical consulting model a plus - less travel, more diversity of clients/experiences, closer to connection to consultancy.

Cons

Specialty change business in the context of communications organization requires vision, assertiveness and willingness to adapt and reframe for colleagues/partners. Atypical consulting model requires love for and ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities well.

Continue to promote change in the context of creativity and communications!

Awesome culture, great work and clients

I have been working at Ketchum Change full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing team, creative and challenging work, great leadership, unique position as niche business inside a large communications agency

Cons

Incredibly fast-paced work environment, demanding clients, lean but growing team sometimes feels too lean

As we continue to grow so quickly, please make sure to keep the amazing, close-knit culture alive!

Amazing people, challenging work, creative consulting

I have been working at Ketchum Change full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at KPC for over a year and the organization has done a complete 180. With a team that is 95% new, yet still has history and roots from Stromberg Consulting, along with outstanding leadership, our boutique consultancy has turned into a power house for innovative change management thinking, the highest standards of client service and break through thought leadership.

The team is made up of smart, fun and motivated consultants. The culture is set up to be supportive for those starting off a career path and entrepreneurial for those looking to use their experience to bring fresh ideas and insights to client challenges. And, for a typical consulting firm, the travel model is much more manageable which allows you to still have a home base the majority of the time.

With the collaboration and backing of Ketchum, we have a strong foundation as a communications firm, but targeted expertise in change management, organizational effectiveness and employee communications/engagement. Our projects are grounded in Change/OD methodology with the expectation and room to create innovative and unique solutions for each different project.

Cons

There are the typical work/life balance challenges that come with any consulting job. Although the travel is about 30-40% (rather than 100%), we are still in a client service focused role, which often requires more than a typical 9-5 day. Since we are a small team and our business is growing very fast (which is great), we are working in a fast-paced environment and often are balancing multiple projects at once. On the flip side, this allows a lot of opportunity for career growth and the ability to be challenged. Additionally, to address the commitment and hard work, the leadership team promotes flexibility in work schedules and is really great about encouraging and supporting work/life balance to the extent possible in this industry.

A great consultancy squandered

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ketchum Change

Pros

Overall a great team of talent from the legacy Stromberg Consulting group. Work consists of some great brands from the Ketchum and Omnicom roster.

Cons

Leaders who grew up in the PR business trying to run a consultancy. Increasingly an internal communications shop with a culture, benefits, development and leadership being driven by the PR mothership.

Ketchum has struggled for nearly 10 years to integrate the former Stromberg Consulting, with a rotating door of 7 leaders in 9 years. They are now losing even more ground as they struggle to integrate the Pleon communications shop.

Worked for Ketchum Change? Contribute to the Community!