Ketchum

Ketchum Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Ketchum CEO Rob Flaherty

Rob Flaherty

Pros
  • Great place to learn new skills but it's best to leave after a year(in 7 reviews)

• Fun colleagues, great clients, agency network, international business, trainee program(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is essentially non-existent even though it is touted often(in 13 reviews)

• long hours, no compensation for overtime(in 10 reviews)

One of the best companies I have worked for in my career

ProsCollaborative culture
    Growing globally
    Profitable but cares about its talent

ConsI'd like better time off policies

Smart people, good clients

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAttracts lots of smart, strategic PR thinkers; many great clients; opportunity to work on a variety of projects from corporate to brand marketing to crisis

ConsSometimes team resources stretched too thin and focus on hourly billing/bottom line can get a little old - but that's a lot of large agency

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to connect more with the younger team members - develop clear and consistent growth plans

New to Ketchum but enjoying it so far

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat culture; something different every day; great team; never a dull moment; fast-paced; always something new; access to leadership at all levels of the agency; collaborative environment (everyone pulling together to complete projects on time); excellent process in place for reviews (both formal and informal); very creative - no idea is a bad idea; room for growth at all levels.

ConsLong hours and no overtime; no reimbursement for using public transit (bus, metro); it's a big company so there is some level of bureacracy that you have to wade through.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great so far

ProsReally enjoying it, although I'm still relatively new.

ConsNone so far, but time will tell.

Professional. Friendly. Honest.

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Beautiful office/work environment with private rooms for client calls and great conference rooms
    -Fun clients and accounts
    -You get to work with some of the most creative, professional, friendly and patient colleagues
    -Interns all the way up to the Presidents work on the same campaigns/client accounts/projects
    -Interns and entry-level employees are highly valued. HR and upper level employees have regular check-in meetings with interns/entry-level employees to see how the work experience is going and what feedback you have for management
    -Fun parties and activities! ex. Bring your dog to work day

Cons-Not the best entry-level salary. Especially considering the cost of living in San Francisco
    -Everyone constantly runs about 5 minutes late to internal meetings
    -You work with colleagues all around the nation so sometimes you rarely get face-to-face interaction with teammates

Advice to Senior Management-Continue seeking feedback from all levels of employees and making suggested improvements.

Great place to work and grow.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people at Ketchum are creative and hard working. It is a collaborative and fun environment where everyone is always willing to pitch in and be supportive.

ConsA billable environment can be tough to work in, but that goes with any agency.

A great place to get my first taste of big agency PR.

Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI was given a lot more opportunity than I would have at many other agencies, as an intern. I was given a wide range of projects to work on and very little busy work (basically the opposite of my time at Edelman). My supervisors took an active interest in helping me improve my skills and helping me find a job at another agency, when there weren't any openings at Ketchum at the end of my internship.

ConsThe senior leadership (VP and above) didn't seem to take a very active role in talent development and retention. My primary account supervisors were great at this, but then again, they both left the agency not too long after I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a greater emphasis on helping younger team members grow and move up the ranks, to avoid losing talent to your competitors.

Work hard, play hard

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Ability to learn from the best in the industry
    - Amazing colleagues across the board, welcoming, helpful, genuine
    - A lot of growth potential, hard work does not go unnoticed
    - Great culture, positive work environment
    - Great training offerings
    - In NY you have a lot of exposure to the Sr. leaders of Ketchum
    - Drink cart Fridays
    - Kick-ball, bowling, run club, book club

Cons- Work life balance can be challenging during peak seasons
    - Some processes can take some time

Leading global PR agency with great, smart people

New Business (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros#1 - the people
    #2 - the smart work
    #3 - the people

ConsIts all about your attitude - if you work hard you and have a positive attitude, you will do well at Ketchum

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Trust in your people and we can do great things.

Vice President, Digital Strategist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsKetchum trusts its employees to take the ball and run with it, from day one. Never have I been given so much trust and leeway on projects and the result has been incredible, both from what I can do for clients, as well as the value I feel as an employee and team member.

ConsYou need to know your stuff and know it well. This is only a con if you don't.

Worked for Ketchum? Contribute to the Community!