Ketchum

Ketchum Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Ketchum CEO Rob Flaherty

Rob Flaherty

Pros
  • Great place to learn new skills but it's best to leave after a year(in 7 reviews)

• Fun colleagues, great clients, agency network, international business, trainee program(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is essentially non-existent even though it is touted often(in 13 reviews)

• long hours, no compensation for overtime(in 10 reviews)

Overall, a pleasant experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are wonderful to work with. It's a fast paced, dynamic environment filled with a lot of smart and motivated people. There are a lot of career advancement opportunities if you seek them out.

ConsThere can be a disconnect between senior management and the rest of the staff. If you want to advance in your career, you need to take the initiative to make it happen or else you can easily be overlooked.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk the right questions, listen to your staff and show action to address areas of concern.

Best Big Agency in the PR World

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros=Collaborative, team-oriented environment
    =Shape award winning creative work
    =Grow, thrive and reinvent yourself
    =Good, smart people who care about each other

Cons=Financial pressures of working for a public company
    =High expectations for breakthrough creative thinking

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep allowing people to challenge themselves with new roles/responsibilities!

Great experience but they burn through people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHigh profile clients and engaging projects. Cutting edge digital and creative departments. Great place for junior PR professionals to gain valuable experience.

ConsMorale is extremely low – management views employees as interchangeable 'resources' to be worked into the ground. Account teams agree to insane deadlines without consulting those who will be executing the work. Managers think nothing of calling at 10pm or over weekends with the crisis du jour.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage your teams. I experienced weeks where my direct manager never even spoke to me. Absent or un-engaged managers can create a volatile workplace where employees are pitted against each other and back-stabbing gets you ahead.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn and grown

Assistant Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsRetains well-respected clients
    Great sense of community (depending on what office you work in)
    Good for developing skills applicable to all industries and professions
    Strong emphasis on creativity and innovation

ConsJunior levels carry heavy work load but pay is not competitive (typical for agencies)

Personally and Professionally Rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsKetchum is a collaborative, accepting place to work and I have built great friendships here. These are people I enjoy working with and as relationships deepen over the years, I like coming to work more and more. I have the opportunity to use my strengths every day. Ketchum focuses on training and development, identifying internal and external subject matter experts to help employees at all levels continue to develop in their careers.

ConsThe pace is very fast - it can be a little like "baptism by fire." I think managers try to do a good job of bringing on new people, but sometimes client demands and travel hinder this. Client work is demanding and compensation (as an industry) is lower than other fields.

work is hard and thankless be a good trainging ground

Account Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosyou learn client service and self promotion. These are invaluable skills, also it's a great name to have on a resume. You learn a lot and what you learn is helpful down the road in any job.

Consemployees compete with each other and can be petty. hours are long and pay can be poor especially at the junior level.

Advice to Senior Managementreward good work

Excellent corporate culture and great oppty for self development

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat culture
    excellent resources
    global company

Consnot very diverse
    extremely competitive, but this is also a plus

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to take stock in your people. it shows

Challenging at times, like any big agency, but focused on client service (not office intrigue)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIn a town and industry that can be frustratingly crowded with self promoters, the team at Ketchum is remarkably collegial, professional and dedicated to client service. From top to bottom, I'm not sure I've worked with a more talented, hard-working group of people.

ConsI don't think there's anything unique to Ketchum that isn't problematic in the industry as a whole. Clients are demanding, hours can be long, and the job itself is stressful (but comes with high rewards).

Advice to Senior ManagementI know the company took significant steps to avoid laying off staff during the downturn, and I hope they show an equal dedication to sharing the benefits of a stronger performance this year.

Fantastic place to start and grow your carrer in communications

Vice President/Group Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsTalented and creative staff, great clients and culture that fosters break through thinking

ConsVery fast-paced environment that demands commitment

I have my dream job here at Ketchum. I have work-life balance and spend my days with intelligent, creative, fun people.

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIn my field, Ketchum is recognized as a true leader. I have phenomenal resources from throughout the agency to help me and my team deliver top results to clients. We really care about doing excellent work and having a thriving workplace. We work with colleagues from different offices throughout our network and the Global Practice Leader for my specialty area is one of the brightest in the business.

ConsKetchum is owned by Omnicom, which is a publicly-traded company. As such, we must adhere to very strict rules and some procedures can be cumbersome.

Worked for Ketchum? Contribute to the Community!