Ketchum Reviews in Washington, DC

3.9

Ketchum CEO Rob Flaherty
Rob Flaherty

Pros
  • Great place to learn new skills but it's best to leave after a year (in 7 reviews)

• Fun colleagues, great clients, agency network, international business, trainee program (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is essentially non-existent even though it is touted often (in 13 reviews)

• long hours, no compensation for overtime (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Experience is what you make it

Current Employee - Managing Account Supervisor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Managing Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ketchum full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ketchum is a place that allows you to grow, but growth won't just be handed to you. Work hard and raise your hand to opportunities and don't be afraid to create an opportunity that doesn't yet exist.

Cons

Rise above office politics and learn to navigate around some department heads that are afraid to confront staff at any level head on.

New to Ketchum but enjoying it so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ketchum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture; something different every day; great team; never a dull moment; fast-paced; always something new; access to leadership at all levels of the agency; collaborative environment (everyone pulling together to complete projects on time); excellent process in place for reviews (both formal and informal); very creative - no idea is a bad idea; room for growth at all levels.

Cons

Long hours and no overtime; no reimbursement for using public transit (bus, metro); it's a big company so there is some level of bureacracy that you have to wade through.

Great experience but they burn through people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Ketchum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High profile clients and engaging projects. Cutting edge digital and creative departments. Great place for junior PR professionals to gain valuable experience.

Cons

Morale is extremely low – management views employees as interchangeable 'resources' to be worked into the ground. Account teams agree to insane deadlines without consulting those who will be executing the work. Managers think nothing of calling at 10pm or over weekends with the crisis du jour.

Manage your teams. I experienced weeks where my direct manager never even spoke to me. Absent or un-engaged managers can create a volatile workplace where employees are pitted against each other and back-stabbing gets you ahead.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging at times, like any big agency, but focused on client service (not office intrigue)

I have been working at Ketchum

Pros

In a town and industry that can be frustratingly crowded with self promoters, the team at Ketchum is remarkably collegial, professional and dedicated to client service. From top to bottom, I'm not sure I've worked with a more talented, hard-working group of people.

Cons

I don't think there's anything unique to Ketchum that isn't problematic in the industry as a whole. Clients are demanding, hours can be long, and the job itself is stressful (but comes with high rewards).

I know the company took significant steps to avoid laying off staff during the downturn, and I hope they show an equal dedication to sharing the benefits of a stronger performance this year.

It's OK, but not going to stay here forever

I have been working at Ketchum

Pros

As far as PR Agencies in DC go, Ketchum is a pretty good one. More transparency from upper management on financials and such.

Cons

Volume of work is absolutely crushing, work-life balance is a joke. Not enough staff to do the work -- ending up with more freelancers than staffers. And benefits are below industry standards -- two weeks vacation when most other DC agencies offer three to begin with. Very little sick leave too.

Managers don't have enough time to do their management tasks -- so reviews are 6-months late, no one has time to worry about career progression for those outside the traditional account-team roles.

Only ideas that are given credence are those surrounding social media. While social media is definitely growing faster than anyone ever imagined, can't hand our hats on that alone.

You're going to start losing people if you don't take care of them. Two weeks vacation is not nearly enough when everyone puts in 50-hour weeks.

Good Place to Work

I have been working at Ketchum

Pros

Ketchum offers the chance to work on big-name projects. Even though it's a large company, you can still feel like you're making significant contributions to projects. If your career is in PR, this is a good place to be. Company culture is somewhat laid back, and they have office happy hours and baseball games, etc. If you're looking for an internship, Ketchum is a great place to start.

Cons

If you are, like me, not working on the PR side of the office, this may not be a good place for you, as the work is not as exciting as at some other places. Office culture can be somewhat impersonal--like birthday cake for everyone within a month with the words "Happy birthday" written on a flip board. People generally commute from out-of-town, so there's not a lot of socializing outside of work hours. Office environment can be really quiet and dull, everyone works in a small cubicle, and most people have tiny computer screens. Many of the accounts people (especially interns) do a lot of grunt work for very little pay; it seems unsatisfying. Ketchum is probably a better place to work if you are mid-career.

There are far too many "managers"! Anyone at Ketchum who has been in the industry for more than four years seems to be a "Vice President"--the title is almost meaningless. All of these "VP"s are Type A people who run around like Chicken Little, asking where things are. The office is top heavy!.

Met some nice friends, hated the work

Former Employee - AE  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - AE in Washington, DC

I worked at Ketchum

Pros

I met a great many friends while working at Ketchum. People I still keep in contact with to this day - many years after leaving (well, not many years). Frankly, that's about it.

Cons

Very little respect paid to employees. Too much concern with punching clocks. Stale environment. Very little money invested into the corporation or employees. Old infrastructure.

Start all over. Look at your rentention rates and ask yourself, why are they so low?

Worked for Ketchum? Contribute to the Community!