Kettering Health Network
www.ketteringhealth.org Dayton, OH 1000 to 5000 Employees

Kettering Health Network Reviews

Updated Feb 5, 2014
Kettering Health Network – Kettering – “KMC Main Entrance”

Fred Manchur

Great place, Great People

I have been working at Kettering Health Network

ProsThe People make the place and this place has a lot of good people

ConsAs with any place the HR department dictates how fast things get done with moving up in positions. They leave much to be desired when getting things done

Hard to get ahead

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
Kettering, OH

I worked at Kettering Health Network full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits with 403(b) matching and profit sharing (some years), PTO accrual increases with seniority.

ConsKHN is a Seventh Day Adventist, so their Sabbath is on Saturday. They do not really recognize that the majority of their employees have a Sabbath on a different day, nor to they care. Network down times and such are never done on their Sabbath, we have to give up ours, however.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so greedy with your salaries and push some of the wealth down to your employees. You are losing good employees to your competition as they are paying better.

More concerned with cutting Costs, than providing Adequate care

PCA (Former Employee)
Hamilton, OH

I worked at Kettering Health Network full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are ABSOLUTELY NONE that come to mind....other than poorest excuse of Human Resources associates that I have EVER dealt with.

ConsHire you in as full time but call and inform you that they do not have enough patients to warrant you being there. Also do not issue W-2's, by the Federal deadline of 1/31.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose Hamilton, only caters to the heroin addicts in that area that overdose

Very focused on minimizing salary/benefits of the rank and file employees to enrich the senior management

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Dayton, OH

I worked at Kettering Health Network full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice buildings. They talk a great game during orientation. Fail to deliver a satisfying work environment

ConsMust be 7th Day Adventist to rise above Director level

Advice to Senior ManagementStop feathering your own nests so opulently and pay the people who make up the backbone of the organization an attractive salary.

personal

Dayton, OH

I have been working at Kettering Health Network full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt is a good company that cares for its employees

Consfaith based organization that does not promote beyond Director unless one is 7th day adventist

Budget cuts one week, next week buying multi-million dollar buildings

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Kettering Health Network full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Benefits, paid time off, pay was ok.

ConsThis organization is constantly making budget cuts and laying people off, then the next week they will spend money buying another building or practice. It is very top heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut back on upper management and focus on the people that make you money.

Worst HR and executives in the medical industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros...
Vacation days aren't bad, but there's better from the competition.

ConsLack of professionalism.
Pay.
Lazy employees.
Lazy managers.
HR department who need to go recertify their PHR and SPHR (etc)...
Politics.
Management will stab you in the back if need be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. Just because Ohio is an "at will" state doesn't mean you should treat your employees awful!

Hope I never work here again

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kettering Health Network full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's local and the facilities for the most part are beautiful...you can see where they spend their money.

ConsThey say they are non-profit, but it is definitely all about the money here.

A lot of talk about the budget, yet the CEO salary is the highest in local area and the among the top 15 in the Midwest. Funny how they could only afford to give the employees a 1.5 percent raise.

For a health care organization their health benefits are awful. Many employees had to drop it because they couldn't afford it any more.

Suggestions given to administration goes in one ear and right out the other. Nothing changes if you bring forth issues or concerns, it's the same old same old.

The culture is a selfish one with many arrogant physicians. Ideas brought forth on moving projects forward to managers are taken as their own. Never mind giving credit where credit is due.

Work life balance is awful as well, it's all about meeting the needs of their projects. No appreciation for how you put your work before your personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to and show appreciation for your employees. Don't stand for those who create a negative culture.

Satisfied Employee

Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee)
Hamilton, OH

I have been working at Kettering Health Network part-time for less than a year

ProsVery flexible scheduling, great employee perks, room for employees to use thier best judgement in clinical settings. Well prepared protocols to follow.

ConsPay is not very competitive compared to other major healthcare employers in the area but it seems they may be reconsidering this decision.

Pockets of Greatness and Not-So-Great-Ness

IS Analyst (Current Employee)
Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at Kettering Health Network full-time

ProsCompany culture is very strong and TRULY encourages collaboration and employee recognition. Job security is no issue. Most management in IS has a great set of ideas and wonderful execution (most of the time). Listens to employee feedback and does it's best to recognize employees and their opinions. Nationally recognized for outstanding healthcare. Also, I love working for a not-for-profit.

ConsSalary salary salary salary... Most IT analysts elsewhere make 40% more these days. The company is expanding too rapidly. ROI for new facilities seems to be crawling and everything else is taking a hit as a result. KHN seems to have this idea that over-saturating the market will allow it to compete with the other, smaller networks in the region who appear to be far more efficient. We have 8 hospitals... The next largest in Dayton? Two. This is causing very high turnover rates and angering seasoned veterans who have been with the company many years, some to the point of seriously considering going elsewhere.

There are politics, but nothing out of the ordinary, I would say.

Awkward meetings at times due to the organization being a Seventh-Day-Adventist organization. Charles Kettering was not SDA, so why should we be forced to adhere to religious doctrine at work? This isn't a huge issue, but it's a thorn in my side as I am atheist and consider any discussion on religion and politics to be grossly unprofessional in the workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop buying/building new hospitals and focus on making what we have profitable. The company is suffering in many areas because of budget cut-backs that are caused by this over-spending. Your analysts are not paid competitively and are leaving because of this single issue, nothing else. We love this company but don't love the numbers coming out of payroll. I would love to stay here for the rest of my life, but I won't because I need to feed my family.

Worked for Kettering Health Network? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kettering Health Network reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kettering Health Network CEO Fred Manchur. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Kettering Health Network employees.