Key Food

Updated Jun 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dean Janeway

I learned life and working skills that will benefit my future career.

Cashier (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsIt teaches you how to be patient most importantly communication skills.

ConsOther workers do not come on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Good work.

Terrible, terrible, terrible

Cashier (Current Employee) Maspeth, NY

Pros-Coworkers are some of the friendliest people I know
    -You can easily switch the days you're working with someone else with no consequences to you. Very convenient when you're scheduled on days you already had plans.
    -Payment is weekly as opposed to bi-weekly as most places do

ConsEverything else!
    -Management is absolutely terrible. If a customer is yelling at one of us about a sale that ended WEEKS ago, managers will give it to them anyway. They don't defend us at all when customers are treating us like dirt.
    -90% of the customers are rude, inconsiderate, ungrateful, and have disgusting attitudes. They treat us like sub-human.
    -A lot of customers are very friendly with the white cashiers but not the rest of us. Management does nothing in these situations either.
    -FAVORITISM! And a LOT of it! A handful of the girls can get away with literally doing NOTHING and being on their phones the entire shift, but some of us can't even go off-register to eat without being questioned or scolded. One of the managers dislikes several of the girls without reason and talks down to them.
    -No actual break times given. Also, no break room. When we take a few minutes to eat lunch, we have to sit on boxes and use the bagging area of the last register as a table. We can't even take that "lunch break" unless another girl can stand on our register for us, but we're not allowed to eat at the register either.
    -A lot of the prices for things on the shelves are misplaced or just downright wrong. Sale prices don't always ring up and, that means a customer trying to ague with you and having to trek around the store to find the prices in the aisles. Too many things in the store don't even have price tags on them to begin with.
    -Very old cash register technology. Sometimes doesn't scan things. Multiple button combinations for very basic tasks. Receipt machine jams very often. Handling food stamp cards can be a hassle because the machine doesn't always read the cards. No backspace or undo button if you make a mistake typing in someone's card number.
    -No opportunity for growth. You could be a cashier for 2 years and still only be a cashier. A few of the girls have moved on to filing or counting drawers, but it's the same pay and they still have to do cashiering work.
    -Usually only one person taking phone orders. There are several days where over 10 people call in, and it becomes VERY overwhelming. Managers want at least two of the 4 girls on register which is always impossible with them letting certain ones do whatever they want instead of actually working, so we often can't help whoever is doing the phone orders.
    -It's minimum wage, so don't expect to be making a lot of money from this job. And for all the nonsense we have to put up with, the pay is definitely not worth the trouble. There are also no benefits to speak of.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt this point, just get new management.

Flexible, decent pay for high school student

Cashier (Former Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsFlexible hours
    Union benefits after 6 months
    Great for gaining experience

ConsAt the location I worked at, everyone in management was either Hispanic or Albanian (mainly Dominican). There was a great amount of favoritism based on race. Only Dominican or Albanian cashiers were promoted to key holders or higher positions.

Some customers are not so easy to work with depending on location.

The system has a habit of ringing up items for the wrong price, which makes those "not so easy" customers even harder to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open minded.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Grocery Manager

Assistant Grocery Manager (Former Employee) Garden City, NY

ProsGreat work environment with friendly employers

ConsSometimes very long hours and long weeks

It is just a job.

Cashier (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsEasy work..decent hours. Air conditioned in the summer.

ConsTotally underpaid for some of the work you have to do. Mostly the horrible customers that you have to deal with on a day to day basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnion or a raise twice a year.

I do not recommend working here.

Customer Service (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers are very friendly. Some customers are friendly.

ConsThey don't care about you and will change your schedule without asking.

Great place to get by

Store Clerk (Current Employee) Floral Park, NY

ProsEasy work nice people who work there flexable schedule

ConsNot enough pay no movement of job tile need more hour cannt do full time

Advice to Senior ManagementOk needs more communication

Tiring.

Cashier/Key Holder (Former Employee) Maspeth, NY

Pros- Great co-workers
    - Some managers are really friendly
    - Scheduling is extremely flexible
    - You can call out if you really need to
    - If you've been there for a while and you request for more hours, you will get them

Cons- Terrible, terrible, terrible customers
    - Hectic
    - Sometimes you get stuck working a double because the other girls call out often
    - Some mangers are just extremely rude
    - Communication between management is terrible, they are never on the same page
    - People are favored for the wrong reason
    - If you're short, you pay up
    - You never get out on time
    - You have to work major holidays (I would get stuck working all day Christmas Day)
    - Rarely were you appreciated for your work
    - I worked there for about three years and never received a single raise (you start off at $7.25)

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the girls who call out everyday and get on the same page with the rest of management.

You'll work hard for your money.

Cashier (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsIt's a job and you do get paid. There are lots of KeyFood branches in many communities, so it's always located fairly near to your house. The management is usually very fair when you want to have days off, they believe any excuse you have. You could decide to join a union, this way when you're older you could get a little bit more money.

ConsI worked parttime and the hours were insane. You get paid minimum wage. They don't allow you to take friday or Saturday off. You can't wear skirts or dresses if you're a girl and if you're a guy then you have to wear a tie everyday. If you're a cashier then you have to stand on your feet all day and you MIGHT mess up and give someone the wrong amount of change back. If you're a stock boy then you might get hurt in the aisle that you work in. The management really sucks, everyone is always hiding because they don't want to do much. The manager I had was a pervert and couldn't help but to look at the girls. At the end of the day, when you complete you shift and if you're the unfortunate one to close, then you have to sweep, wipe down registers, pack bags, take out garbage from the dustbin and sometimes help the stock boys before you can go home. Women have to wear these ugly overcoats/smocks and they don't have them in a size small. You get suspended for having your phone out, wearing sneakers, and giving the wrong change.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know much about this. I am young.

NOT A FAN OF KEY FOOD

Upfront Manager (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsIt was close to home.
    It was a neighborhood place where people are very friendly.
    Customers recognize you outside of the store, and wave and say hi.
    It was a relaitvley easy job with easy taskes to complete.
    It didn't take much effort.

ConsThe one thing they were very strick on was being on time, they set the clock 5 minutes foward to make you think you were later that you really were. and they make comments when you punched the time clock 5 minutes late, when the set it 5 minutes fast.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more flexable in the work schedule. People have a life outside of keyfood

Worked for Key Food? Contribute to the Community!