Key Plastics Reviews

1. I am not an employee of Key Plastics

Current Employee - Harness Design Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Harness Design Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Key Plastics

Pros

I like my natural interest towards, harness and piping design

Cons

I have to concentrate more initially.

Advice to Management

Best support to dedicated employees.

2. Great experience working here.

I worked at Key Plastics

Pros

Flexible environment with good colleagues.

Cons

Uncertain aboyt the future of the company.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees (training, tuition reimbursement etc.

3. If it would let me rate it a half of a star I would.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Key Plastics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing really worth mentioning but if I had to pick the best thing about working there it would be that they finally started a perfect attendance incentive. Every 2 months you have perfect attendance you got 4 hours of vacation. I think they had to do something because the absences were ridiculously high before they started that.

Cons

Pay...everyone gets the same raise no matter how good or bad of a worker you are. After 2 years you are topped out.
    No bonuses
    Low morale. Never got any appreciation for the good things we did....only got lectured about the mistakes we made.
    Team leaders and supervisors were unqualified and had no business being in a leadership position but because no one that was qualified wanted the position due to many different reasons they would get the position.
    Many co-workers were childish, two-faced, gossiped, lazy etc etc. including team leaders and supervisors. If you love drama you will love working at Key Plastics!!!!!! I realize this happens pretty much everywhere but hands down Key Plastics has been a million times worse than I have ever seen.
    Favoritism big time!!!!!! Team leaders would try to get temps fired just because they didn't like them even though they were good workers.
    The training???? Well let's just say there really isn't any...team leaders are suppose to train but yeah that like never happened.
    There has always been a high turnover rate there. I wonder why?
    My advice is to stay away!!!!! Of the people that are still working there the majority of them hate it and a lot of them are looking for other jobs.

5. This was an interesting, multicultural experience.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Key Plastics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a Material Handler on the production floor at Key Plastics. I started out as a Team Member and was promoted to Material Handler in one month. On the production floor, it is relatively easy to move into other positions such as material handling, shipping/receiving, mold setup and team leadership. Management is usually willing to give just about anyone a chance at a promotion when one is available. They offer excellent vacation time. First year employees receive 1 week paid vacation, years 2 through 4 = 2 weeks paid, years 5 through 9 = 3 weeks paid, years 10 through 14 = 4 weeks paid and you get 5 weeks paid vacation after 15 years of employment. There are many hard working and friendly folks at Key Plastics, including people immigrating from all over the world, which for me was an enriching cultural experience. Key Plastics is a fairly clean place to work as compared to other similar manufacturers.

Cons

The fact that it is so easy to receive a promotion leads to many incompetent and incapable people in jobs they have no business doing, which makes everybody's job more difficult. Their most challenging positions, material handling & mold setup, were generally short handed due to the extremely low pay considering the level of responsibility required. Key Plastics has a harsh point system which is the leading cause of termination. There are a number low performers who continue to remain employed here but they have fired a great many valuable workers due to absences, regardless of their reasons. The ethnic diversity, which was an enriching cultural experience, lent to much frustration, as many of these kindly folks spoke very little English. It was very interesting to hear a Nepalese person try to communicate something to a Vietnamese person who in turn would try to convey the same message to a Spanish speaking individual, bless their hearts. The way in which Key Plastics conducts their training is not very effective, due in part to incompetent team leaders, language barriers and generally no consistent training protocol which leads to lowered production, low morale and high turnover. The insurance benefits are less than desirable and the pay is slightly below industry standards.

Advice to Management

You need to address the language barrier problem, you need to adopt a more comprehensive training program, utilizing trainers who know the job and the language of the trainee, you need to raise the pay of material handlers, mold setup technicians and team leaders in order to attract more capable applicants. You also need to throw away your point system and deal with absences on a case by case basis and not assume that all absenteeism is created equal because it is not. You might also consider merit based raises and bonuses and work more diligently to get rid of dead weight.

6. Quality Engineer, record rejects, sent reports to KPM. Manage sort teams.

Former Contractor - Quality Engineer in Adrian, MI
    Former Contractor - Quality Engineer in Adrian, MI

I worked at Key Plastics as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Hourly pay was good, but.

Cons

They only wanted part time.

Advice to Management

Put people to work full time.

7. Dead end job. Not much or any advancement opportunities. You are just a warm body to fill a position .

I have been working at Key Plastics

Pros

Very nice coworkers. Get a free turkey at Thanksgiving and a Christmas party.

Cons

Never know how many hours you will be working in one day. Can't plan anything due to inconsistencies in scheduling.

Advice to Management

Need to clean house before you lose valuable employees due to stupidity up top.

Nepotism and buffoons: Tales of a poorly run company

Current Employee - Manager in Northville, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Northville, MI

I have been working at Key Plastics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is buffoonery up and down the organization and that is good. There is very little oversight on anything. Mediocre or poor employees can sustain long careers because “at least they stay”.

Cons

If you are not a former Visteon Employee and in Terry Gohl’s inner circle, forget about any respect for your abilities.

Nepotism. Terry Gohl’s Brother-in-Law was hired in as IT Director. Placed above existing people.

Buffoons everywhere. No sense of long term strategy. It is “how do I get through the week?” “How do I get through the month?”

There are several people with 10+ years with the company. They are there because they do nothing, but they have been there. Everything from Project Management, to Purchasing, to Sales. It does not matter. If you can put up with going there, you’ll be employed regardless of ability.

Nothing on employee development. No training, tuition reimbursement, etc.

Advice to Management

Your company is only good if you are unemployed and just need a gig. Nobody sees Key Plastics as a career. With that, minimal effort is given and minimum results are received.

9. A company with good ideas but no execution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northville, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northville, MI

I worked at Key Plastics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO knows what he wants and is trying to point the company in the right direction. Great plants in Grand Rapids and Fenton Pa.

Cons

The company has good ideas from the top but the middle management shakes their heads but sticks to the old legacy systems they have always used. Not organized well enough to know if they are progressing or going backwards. There were some good people in the company especially in the plants but they would manage themselves and did not really need to rely on the central org.

Advice to Management

You need to clean house and get a management group that is onboard with actual change not just feeding you lip service and trying to stay with the same old ways.

10. Had to buff flash off plastic all day

I worked at Key Plastics

Pros

make friends and get to listen to music

Cons

work sucks only get 20 min for lunch

11. Company Fighting For Survival

I worked at Key Plastics

Pros

There is a great sense of teamwork and commradarie amongst peers and across department lines.

Cons

The company is in survival mode where there has been repeated efforts to downsize to appropriate headcount, which results in a demoralized work environment.

Advice to Management

There seems to be a lack of commitment to making important decisions, which leads to rumors about stability.