Key Safety Systems

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
3.5

Jason Luo

Rewarding and beneficial for an entry level engineer.

I have been working at Key Safety Systems

Pros

Company has solid benefits package, ability to grow and learn about various topics. Relaxed environment and very easy to build relationships.

Cons

Ambiguous direction at times, high workload

Key safety benefits review

Current Employee - NONE in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - NONE in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Key Safety Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

performance review pay increase
    poor medical
    poor 401 K

Cons

poor dental
    poor medical
    no bonus
    no profit sharing

add bonuses and profit sharing

Product Engineer

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Key Safety Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Been here for a month and coming from an OEM , work-life balance seem to be much much better. fairly good salary and good benefits. one of the few Supplier who offer matching 401K... meaning the organization is doing really good. Absolutely no hierarchy issue, everyone is very approachable… our boss prefers to sit with us rather than his nice office so that he is more engaged in helping us. Everyone from floor shop to management is very helpful. Less enabling and more team work environment. HR has done a great job on my paperwork.

Cons

It’s too early to make any judgment on the short coming off KSS. But from the my years of experience I don’t see any major issue working here for long. Any way I will continue with a optimistic attitude.

1 year review

Current Employee - Tooling Engineer in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Key Safety Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workload is challenging but doable, Issues are easliy discussed with management. Atmosphere is casual and enjoyable. Gym is awesome, Management provides opportunities to improve knowledge and health. Just need to take the initiative.

Cons

Getting information to complete your tasks can sometimes be a challenge. Organizational structure can be confusing. Where responsinility starts and ends is a little fuzzy.

Starting on the right foot

I have been working at Key Safety Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have just started here but what I have seen so far is: Better salary with better benefits along with profesional environment and lots of positive energy. HR has done a great job in my onboarding.

Cons

Obviously my short time here does not qualify me to make judgements here, but honestly I have experienced no legitament cons here. I usualy go into new situations with a cautiously optomistic attitude. There is nothing here to raise my caution flags.

Keep it the same. It seems that the values and processes that I have been exposed to so far are forward thinking and have been thouroghly thought out.

Great welcome to the Company

I have been working at Key Safety Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm a new employee, so I can't yet fully judge the company. What I can say thus far, is that the onboarding experience is one of the best I've had. Organized & everyone is welcoming. My manager was prepared for my first day with handouts of expectations, training, tour, notes & tips.

Cons

I'm new and haven't experienced none thus far; except I may get lost in the builiding because of all the different access points & turns.

Relaxed Open Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at Key Safety Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Everyone is very friendly and helpful
    -Management makes it a point to be approachable
    -Egalitarian attitude
    -Self motivated productivity standards, personal accountability
    -New facilities include in-office gym with available personal trainer
    -Open policy on personal electronics, as long as its not distracting

Cons

-Highly competitive Industry
    -Working near the lab can get loud
    -Global Responsibilities will require flexibility
    -Not all technology up to date (some desktops still run XP)

Use, abuse, and dump you like trash!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Key Safety Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You make a paycheck. Yay...

Cons

Severely overwork and underpay employees. One person is now expected to handle tasks that once required three people. Management and various departments do not communicate well with each other. Any problems with components and materials are still somehow the fault of the workers (still trying to figure that one out). No matter how often you tell them about operations that need changed no one will listen to you. Company has no problem causing you life altering injury and when you can not work because of the injury THEY CAUSED, they fire you. Equipment is in deplorable condition, 3/4 of the technicians are incompetent and rather than fix machines just make patch jobs until the machines go down again for the exact same problem. Temporary workers can expect to wait in excess of three years or more before they have a chance of becoming a full-time employee. That means working with all the terrible conditions but for less pay and no insurance benefits; though even those benefits are so terrible it could be argued they aren't missing much. Training is virtually non-existent. Temporary workers can expect to show up and be thrust head first into the fire with little to no knowledge of the equipment, be informed they should understand the processes involved in no more than two hours and then be ridiculed by management for being too slow and not producing hourly quotas. Make sense doesn't it?

Oh, if you're sent to the Lakeland, FL plant and you end up in one of facilities beyond Building 1 you're in for a surprise. Upper management decided in order to cut cost they (poorly) fenced off the area and introduced cattle. Yes, CATTLE in an industrial facility! A facility that utilizes explosive, dust compounds might I add. The bovine being well, bovine, defecate where they please, it's rarely cleaned up, and this has caused a great influx of mice, roaches and other vermin into the buildings, particularly lunch areas.

Stop overworking people and expecting the same results with one person that you got with three in the past. Also, when someone complains for years that an operation is causing them pain, try listening and actually doing something about it BEFORE it's too late.

Work is work.

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Key Safety Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

KSS does more events for employees than I have experienced at other places. Summer picnic, Tiger's game, Christmas party etc. This events helped coworkers socialize and it helped to improve cross functional teams.

Cons

Company does not learn from it's mistakes. KSS lets its people continue to make the same mistakes program after program.

Share your knowledge with your employees!

Working conditions are very poor.

Former Employee - Material Handler in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Key Safety Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good coworkers, good hours, weekends and holidays off, team work from coworkers, made a few good friend while I was there.

Cons

very poor management, forklifts and other equipment in unsafe conditions, work ethics very low. no support from management, too many cut backs, management makes to many dumb changes.

repair broken down equipment, hold meetings in the board room, not on the production floor, stop making unnecessary changes. stop treating employs like dirt. stop wasting money on unnecessary project.

Key Safety Systems Photos