Key Safety Systems

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Jason Luo

Great welcome to the Company

Sterling Heights, MI

ProsI'm a new employee, so I can't yet fully judge the company. What I can say thus far, is that the onboarding experience is one of the best I've had. Organized & everyone is welcoming. My manager was prepared for my first day with handouts of expectations, training, tour, notes & tips.

ConsI'm new and haven't experienced none thus far; except I may get lost in the builiding because of all the different access points & turns.

Relaxed Open Environment

Sterling Heights, MI

Pros-Everyone is very friendly and helpful
    -Management makes it a point to be approachable
    -Egalitarian attitude
    -Self motivated productivity standards, personal accountability
    -New facilities include in-office gym with available personal trainer
    -Open policy on personal electronics, as long as its not distracting

Cons-Highly competitive Industry
    -Working near the lab can get loud
    -Global Responsibilities will require flexibility
    -Not all technology up to date (some desktops still run XP)

Work is work.

Product Engineer (Former Employee)
    Sterling Heights, MI

ProsKSS does more events for employees than I have experienced at other places. Summer picnic, Tiger's game, Christmas party etc. This events helped coworkers socialize and it helped to improve cross functional teams.

ConsCompany does not learn from it's mistakes. KSS lets its people continue to make the same mistakes program after program.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare your knowledge with your employees!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Use, abuse, and dump you like trash!

Lakeland, FL

ProsYou make a paycheck. Yay...

ConsSeverely overwork and underpay employees. One person is now expected to handle tasks that once required three people. Management and various departments do not communicate well with each other. Any problems with components and materials are still somehow the fault of the workers (still trying to figure that one out). No matter how often you tell them about operations that need changed no one will listen to you. Company has no problem causing you life altering injury and when you can not work because of the injury THEY CAUSED, they fire you. Equipment is in deplorable condition, 3/4 of the technicians are incompetent and rather than fix machines just make patch jobs until the machines go down again for the exact same problem. Temporary workers can expect to wait in excess of three years or more before they have a chance of becoming a full-time employee. That means working with all the terrible conditions but for less pay and no insurance benefits; though even those benefits are so terrible it could be argued they aren't missing much. Training is virtually non-existent. Temporary workers can expect to show up and be thrust head first into the fire with little to no knowledge of the equipment, be informed they should understand the processes involved in no more than two hours and then be ridiculed by management for being too slow and not producing hourly quotas. Make sense doesn't it?

Oh, if you're sent to the Lakeland, FL plant and you end up in one of facilities beyond Building 1 you're in for a surprise. Upper management decided in order to cut cost they (poorly) fenced off the area and introduced cattle. Yes, CATTLE in an industrial facility! A facility that utilizes explosive, dust compounds might I add. The bovine being well, bovine, defecate where they please, it's rarely cleaned up, and this has caused a great influx of mice, roaches and other vermin into the buildings, particularly lunch areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop overworking people and expecting the same results with one person that you got with three in the past. Also, when someone complains for years that an operation is causing them pain, try listening and actually doing something about it BEFORE it's too late.

Working conditions are very poor.

Material Handler (Former Employee)
    Lakeland, FL

ProsGood coworkers, good hours, weekends and holidays off, team work from coworkers, made a few good friend while I was there.

Consvery poor management, forklifts and other equipment in unsafe conditions, work ethics very low. no support from management, too many cut backs, management makes to many dumb changes.

Advice to Senior Managementrepair broken down equipment, hold meetings in the board room, not on the production floor, stop making unnecessary changes. stop treating employs like dirt. stop wasting money on unnecessary project.

They are management help

Tooling Eng (Former Employee)
    Sterling Heights, MI

ProsNew work available in plastic field

ConsNeed more experienced help to lead Eng.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more senior staff

Just Started

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sterling Heights, MI

ProsThe salary and benefits were a welcome change. The people that I have met so far are welcoming to a new employee. They seem to want to make my experience at Key a positive one.

ConsI have not been here long enough to have any negative experiences. I suspect there will be some down the road. Stay tuned.

Leadership

Cell Leader (Former Employee)
    Lakeland, FL

ProsCreating production of air bags for vehicles.

ConsDidn't like when machines were down.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrong person to manage but with respect.

KSS is the fastest growing global safety restraint supplier - we're on a roll!

Sterling Heights, MI

ProsGreat opportunity to be with growing company to make a difference. KSS employees are very down-to-earth, what you see is what you get, everyone is very approachable.

ConsWith a growing company comes growing pains and infrastructure. However, I appreciate not being incumbered by lots of bureaucracy as I've experienced in other large companies.

Very growth focused!

Sterling Heights, MI

ProsCompany is focused on the future and growing it's employees!

ConsAs the company grows more higher level resources will be needed.

Worked for Key Safety Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Key Safety Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Key Safety Systems CEO Jason Luo. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Key Safety Systems employees.