KeyPoint Government Solutions

Updated July 9, 2014
Updated July 9, 2014

2.7

Jeff Schlanger

Pros
  • One of my favorite things is being able to work from home some each week (in 17 reviews)

• Working from home and having some control over my work schedule is a plus (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Many of the field managers and workload managers do not even consider the fact of how they are assigning work (in 6 reviews)

• No merit or cost of living increases (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

Pros

Former program manager was a great person to work for. In my position there was little supervision.

Cons

I didn't have any negatives other than overall the company would have rather spent money on Christmas parties than give raises to employees.

Pay more attention to the front line people. They are the ones who know what is needed to improve the company. Bottom line is important in a business, but employees should be more important.

I am a current employee of over 5 years in the Loveland office.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

Pros

Our time off policies were good until we were forced to take all of our vacation time this year. We were furloughed twice. Our benefits are very good compared to several companies in the area.

Cons

The office culture leaves much to be desired. There is much gossip going on because nothing is ever really told to us as it really is. We had a new mandatory procedure thrown at our investigators on Monday and some of them change their schedules to take this MANDATORY training and then everything is changed on Wednesday and now it is just a pilot program and it is only for the people who took the MANDTORY training on Wednesday. This is typical KeyPoint knee jerk junk. This has to stop. We have NEW management but the same old "tricks" nothing has really changed. I don't think anything will ever change.

Please, please, please. Think about the people that are working under you and the stress that you are creating, we know that you really don't care, it is like this is all a joke to you. Just throw it out there and see who jumps. We all jump because we want and we like our jobs. We like the people we manage out in the field and we hate what you are doing to them. Please think before you rule.

Integrity

Current Employee - Special Investigator
    Current Employee - Special Investigator

Pros

In the beginning there were many but within a very short time the company became just as bad as its competition.

Cons

Company policies are changed at a whim to ensure minimal upward mobility can be achieved. Recruiters inflate company benefits and don't tell you before you accept offer the metrics for making level moves for increase in pay are skewed in favor of shareholders and against the employee, when that method fails management changes metric achievability scale and instead of 3 mos you have to work 6 mos at that level to obtain. New investigators are assigned work at 130% of expectation ensuring burnout. No merit or cost of living increases. Senior management demands integrity from its employees yet lack their own. Managers are regularly advised to withhold important OPM changes to the field which ensures investigators will fail and have multiple re opens thus reducing their chance at advancement. Managers threaten investigators with termination "3 strikes rule" to control investigators, this was exposed as a lie. The job and stress level for 17 bucks an hr just isn't worth it. BTW working from home is not a benefit, it is very stressful, it takes extreme discipline and it only benefits the company because you are tethered to your work 24/7.

Pay your people and tell your shareholders including Schlanger to respect the backbone of your company or watch it fall the way all greedy empires do!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

high expectations with minimal pay

Current Employee - OPM Investigator  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - OPM Investigator in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

As a contractor, can't say much regarding the positive aspects of working as a BI besides ability to work from home,

Cons

Contractors are treated like full-time employees without the benefits! Things such as gas, paper and ink, or hours spent in the field are NOT reimbursed. Really??

Offer some incentives for the work completed by contractors in the field. Being given $20 to conduct a record check is worthless to an investigator when we pay for expenses out of our own pocket.

Was good, but going downhill fast

Current Employee - Full Time Field Investigator  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Full Time Field Investigator in Tampa, FL

Pros

Good question. The ability to work from home is great, although you have so much fieldwork that this is becoming less. Per diem is nice when traveling TDY. Company car although you pay about what it would cost to less a vehicle on your own. Some great people work in the field. Company provided I-phone.

Cons

It is very unclear what the status of the company is. We are told things are improving, but haven't seen anything to back this up other than the occasional e-mail from someone assuring us company is stable. Many higher ups have left recently which poses a fair question of the company's stability. This company finds any way possible to prevent level moves. Stats are important, but they aren't the only thing that makes an employee valuable. This business is too stats-driven. We are the workers, out there everyday in the field making things happen and closing cases, yet not treated fairly with pay. OPM investigators make much more than we do and do the same job. This job is very stressful and there should be a better structure in place and transparent for raises, bonuses, etc. There are investigators here working so very hard and focuses on quality, yet passed over because company doesn't want to pay. This will catch up with the company, don't think it won't.

Training of new investigators needs to be better. There needs to be investigators who are specifically trainers. They should be paid at a higher level for taking on this responsibility. Currently, investigators are randomly picked and told they need to train, all the while still having their own cases to work on. This is not easy. Stop the review vs. field fight; we are supposed to be a team. The reviewers get more respect than the investigators. Reviewers nit-pick and the company allows this. All of which effects our stats thus leads to no increases. This isn't right and creates a negative work environment. Treat employees with more respect and give cost of living increases. Move investigators up when you know they are deserving. We are more than just a number. This work is important, stop making it out like it isn't and pay us what we are worth for what we do. We have a new CEO and I sincerely hope he changes the culture here. We are starting to really look like our main competitor, which is not a good thing.

An ok place to work until you can find something better

Former Employee - Workload Coordinator  in  Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Workload Coordinator in Loveland, CO

Pros

Being able to work from home a few days a week was really nice. The schedule was pretty flexible, with you getting to set your own hours to a certain extent. Although still a work in progress, the systems weren't too difficult to work with. IT and HR were a little slow, but considering the size of the company, it didn't take too long to at least get answers to your questions. Working with and building rapport with the investigators is the most satisfying aspect of this job- it does make it hard to leave. Much of the experience for Workload Coordinators depends on the interaction with the Field Managers and Contractor Liaisons for your area, and I worked with two of the best Field Managers there.

Cons

An almost daily changing of policy was not exactly confusing, but hard to keep up with. There is no personal accountability at all, instead everyone is brought together as a group and told how terrible they are doing- while in these same meetings, Field Managers are encouraged to manage each investigator individually. Yet, it's difficult to excel when your hands are tied and you aren't allowed to do you job half the time, and you're pushed to make up for it by whatever means necessary in half the time later. Those who are known to continually fall short of standards are not counselled, and it seems that it matters little whether you do an outstanding job or a poor job. The attitude is generally one that they could care less if you leave the company, as someone else looking for a job can take your place. The Contractor Liaison I worked with was absolutely horrible, and never helped me get last minute items taken care of, and in fact hardly ever talked to to the contractors if they could help it. This was known, and yet nothing done about it, so I was doing some of the Contractor Liaison job myself. Training is scattered and uncoordinated at best. Specifically as a Workload Coordinator, you are not valued nearly as highly as a Field Manager- so my advice is to become a Field Manager as soon as possible and not waste your time as a Workload Coordinator for longer than you must. Upper management is anything but transparent, hiding big developments from office workers until the last possible moment- often not telling staff what is going on at all, but hinting at it, so office staff come off to the field as confused and unprofessional.

Stop spending so much time in meetings day after day and start managing people. Spreadsheets, blanket emails, ever more constricting directives, and meetings where everyone in the office is told how awful they are doing don't count as management. Hold individuals who are struggling accountable and offer extra training and support, and leave the people who are doing a good job alone to do that job. Stop promoting people who don't do a great job at their current position, hoping a new one will suit them better (it almost never does). Stop treating the staff like children that can't be trusted and show some transparency. Reward the hard workers more, and the lazy people less (Yes, we all know who they are and we know you do too.) Don't pass the buck and don't encourage others to pass the buck. Find a way to encourage a team atmosphere.

I have worked here for a couple of years now.

Current Employee - Workload Coordinator  in  Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Workload Coordinator in Loveland, CO

Pros

One of my favorite things is being able to work from home some each week. I do get more work done from home because there is too much drama in the office. I like most of the people that I work with. I think that we help contribute to the safety of the U.S.

Cons

Lack of communication and the drama because people are trying to guess what is going to happen next. The directive each week is so sporadic, you don't know what is coming next - or when. The fact that there is a new directive EACH WEEK is confusing and annoying.

Communicate. Let employees know what is going on. Not just a brief, "we are doing great." But let us know what is REALLY going on. People are leaving because things are getting worse. Think about raises - years without a raise = poor morale. Get the morale back up in the office, work on getting employees to trust management.

Great Support

Pros

Tools to do the job and great support. Benefits are awesome.

Cons

Pay and not much room for moving up or increase in salary.

Pay to an investigator should easily be $65K.... If it is that important to the government to have people working 100% to maintain security and integrity then you should pay those people what they deserve. There a ton of people making more and doing less in this country. The employees you hire and train are top notch people and deserve to be paid a salary that fits qualifications.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

Pros

Work from home. Flexible schedule. Great management. Bonuses,

Cons

No cost of living raises. Bonuses have gone down significantly over the last year.

Consider an annual salary increase.

Interesting work and overall a good experience.

Former Employee - Contract Investigator  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Contract Investigator in Dayton, OH

Pros

It's a great company to work at if you love working independently. While the tasks can get repetitive, they all have their unique quality due to the nature of the job.

Cons

Because this job is independent, it gets lonely. The managers are in Loveland, CO and though there are weekly teleconferences, this does not substitute for having true co-workers.

Worked for KeyPoint Government Solutions? Contribute to the Community!