KeyPoint Government Solutions

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeff Schlanger

Pros
  • One of my favorite things is being able to work from home some each week (in 17 reviews)

• Working from home and having some control over my work schedule is a plus (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Many of the field managers and workload managers do not even consider the fact of how they are assigning work (in 6 reviews)

• No merit or cost of living increases (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Loveland, CO

ProsFormer program manager was a great person to work for. In my position there was little supervision.

ConsI didn't have any negatives other than overall the company would have rather spent money on Christmas parties than give raises to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the front line people. They are the ones who know what is needed to improve the company. Bottom line is important in a business, but employees should be more important.

I am a current employee of over 5 years in the Loveland office.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Loveland, CO

ProsOur time off policies were good until we were forced to take all of our vacation time this year. We were furloughed twice. Our benefits are very good compared to several companies in the area.

ConsThe office culture leaves much to be desired. There is much gossip going on because nothing is ever really told to us as it really is. We had a new mandatory procedure thrown at our investigators on Monday and some of them change their schedules to take this MANDATORY training and then everything is changed on Wednesday and now it is just a pilot program and it is only for the people who took the MANDTORY training on Wednesday. This is typical KeyPoint knee jerk junk. This has to stop. We have NEW management but the same old "tricks" nothing has really changed. I don't think anything will ever change.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, please, please. Think about the people that are working under you and the stress that you are creating, we know that you really don't care, it is like this is all a joke to you. Just throw it out there and see who jumps. We all jump because we want and we like our jobs. We like the people we manage out in the field and we hate what you are doing to them. Please think before you rule.

Integrity

Special Investigator (Current Employee)

ProsIn the beginning there were many but within a very short time the company became just as bad as its competition.

ConsCompany policies are changed at a whim to ensure minimal upward mobility can be achieved. Recruiters inflate company benefits and don't tell you before you accept offer the metrics for making level moves for increase in pay are skewed in favor of shareholders and against the employee, when that method fails management changes metric achievability scale and instead of 3 mos you have to work 6 mos at that level to obtain. New investigators are assigned work at 130% of expectation ensuring burnout. No merit or cost of living increases. Senior management demands integrity from its employees yet lack their own. Managers are regularly advised to withhold important OPM changes to the field which ensures investigators will fail and have multiple re opens thus reducing their chance at advancement. Managers threaten investigators with termination "3 strikes rule" to control investigators, this was exposed as a lie. The job and stress level for 17 bucks an hr just isn't worth it. BTW working from home is not a benefit, it is very stressful, it takes extreme discipline and it only benefits the company because you are tethered to your work 24/7.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people and tell your shareholders including Schlanger to respect the backbone of your company or watch it fall the way all greedy empires do!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

high expectations with minimal pay

OPM Investigator (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsAs a contractor, can't say much regarding the positive aspects of working as a BI besides ability to work from home,

ConsContractors are treated like full-time employees without the benefits! Things such as gas, paper and ink, or hours spent in the field are NOT reimbursed. Really??

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer some incentives for the work completed by contractors in the field. Being given $20 to conduct a record check is worthless to an investigator when we pay for expenses out of our own pocket.

Was good, but going downhill fast

Full Time Field Investigator (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood question. The ability to work from home is great, although you have so much fieldwork that this is becoming less. Per diem is nice when traveling TDY. Company car although you pay about what it would cost to less a vehicle on your own. Some great people work in the field. Company provided I-phone.

ConsIt is very unclear what the status of the company is. We are told things are improving, but haven't seen anything to back this up other than the occasional e-mail from someone assuring us company is stable. Many higher ups have left recently which poses a fair question of the company's stability. This company finds any way possible to prevent level moves. Stats are important, but they aren't the only thing that makes an employee valuable. This business is too stats-driven. We are the workers, out there everyday in the field making things happen and closing cases, yet not treated fairly with pay. OPM investigators make much more than we do and do the same job. This job is very stressful and there should be a better structure in place and transparent for raises, bonuses, etc. There are investigators here working so very hard and focuses on quality, yet passed over because company doesn't want to pay. This will catch up with the company, don't think it won't.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining of new investigators needs to be better. There needs to be investigators who are specifically trainers. They should be paid at a higher level for taking on this responsibility. Currently, investigators are randomly picked and told they need to train, all the while still having their own cases to work on. This is not easy. Stop the review vs. field fight; we are supposed to be a team. The reviewers get more respect than the investigators. Reviewers nit-pick and the company allows this. All of which effects our stats thus leads to no increases. This isn't right and creates a negative work environment. Treat employees with more respect and give cost of living increases. Move investigators up when you know they are deserving. We are more than just a number. This work is important, stop making it out like it isn't and pay us what we are worth for what we do. We have a new CEO and I sincerely hope he changes the culture here. We are starting to really look like our main competitor, which is not a good thing.

An ok place to work until you can find something better

Workload Coordinator (Former Employee) Loveland, CO

ProsBeing able to work from home a few days a week was really nice. The schedule was pretty flexible, with you getting to set your own hours to a certain extent. Although still a work in progress, the systems weren't too difficult to work with. IT and HR were a little slow, but considering the size of the company, it didn't take too long to at least get answers to your questions. Working with and building rapport with the investigators is the most satisfying aspect of this job- it does make it hard to leave. Much of the experience for Workload Coordinators depends on the interaction with the Field Managers and Contractor Liaisons for your area, and I worked with two of the best Field Managers there.

ConsAn almost daily changing of policy was not exactly confusing, but hard to keep up with. There is no personal accountability at all, instead everyone is brought together as a group and told how terrible they are doing- while in these same meetings, Field Managers are encouraged to manage each investigator individually. Yet, it's difficult to excel when your hands are tied and you aren't allowed to do you job half the time, and you're pushed to make up for it by whatever means necessary in half the time later. Those who are known to continually fall short of standards are not counselled, and it seems that it matters little whether you do an outstanding job or a poor job. The attitude is generally one that they could care less if you leave the company, as someone else looking for a job can take your place. The Contractor Liaison I worked with was absolutely horrible, and never helped me get last minute items taken care of, and in fact hardly ever talked to to the contractors if they could help it. This was known, and yet nothing done about it, so I was doing some of the Contractor Liaison job myself. Training is scattered and uncoordinated at best. Specifically as a Workload Coordinator, you are not valued nearly as highly as a Field Manager- so my advice is to become a Field Manager as soon as possible and not waste your time as a Workload Coordinator for longer than you must. Upper management is anything but transparent, hiding big developments from office workers until the last possible moment- often not telling staff what is going on at all, but hinting at it, so office staff come off to the field as confused and unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending so much time in meetings day after day and start managing people. Spreadsheets, blanket emails, ever more constricting directives, and meetings where everyone in the office is told how awful they are doing don't count as management. Hold individuals who are struggling accountable and offer extra training and support, and leave the people who are doing a good job alone to do that job. Stop promoting people who don't do a great job at their current position, hoping a new one will suit them better (it almost never does). Stop treating the staff like children that can't be trusted and show some transparency. Reward the hard workers more, and the lazy people less (Yes, we all know who they are and we know you do too.) Don't pass the buck and don't encourage others to pass the buck. Find a way to encourage a team atmosphere.

Company appears to lack any real business leadership....dilettantes

Contract Investigator (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWorking from home as an independent contractor.

ConsRecently changed contractors to a part time position at a fraction of contractor pay. Most will take this position while looking for other opportunities. The larger effects of this change will be the loss of high productivity of what used to be contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate your revenue outlook. Less productivity from what were contractors and no incentive to step up and meet/exceed monthly target goals, June numbers will be your first example. Hard to believe this was not considered before this change was made.

(DISCREPANT)

Special Investigator (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWork from home, company car.

ConsNo balance!!! Work all the time, and it never stops. With the demands of the field managers you will end up working way more than you can actually get paid for. The top level management has all been leaving over the past few months with no communication with the employees of what is happening behind the scenes. The processes and requirements are changing all the time and they keep adding new administrative requirements all while increasing the workload.

They hired with the promise of promotion and bonuses. Even with my workload at 160% I'm still getting passed for promotion due to not having everything in on time perfectly with no mistakes. They make the system almost impossible to move up an they just work you more and more. It feels like I'm at the casino and they are the dealer. Dealer always wins. I've been at KGS over a year and a half, and have never seen a bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't even know who the management is... I thought they all left. I really don't know who is running the company. If they are listening, pay your employees what they deserve. Field investigators are getting fed up and will be looking for different jobs. USIS pt 2...

I have worked here for a couple of years now.

Workload Coordinator (Current Employee) Loveland, CO

ProsOne of my favorite things is being able to work from home some each week. I do get more work done from home because there is too much drama in the office. I like most of the people that I work with. I think that we help contribute to the safety of the U.S.

ConsLack of communication and the drama because people are trying to guess what is going to happen next. The directive each week is so sporadic, you don't know what is coming next - or when. The fact that there is a new directive EACH WEEK is confusing and annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate. Let employees know what is going on. Not just a brief, "we are doing great." But let us know what is REALLY going on. People are leaving because things are getting worse. Think about raises - years without a raise = poor morale. Get the morale back up in the office, work on getting employees to trust management.

Great Support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTools to do the job and great support. Benefits are awesome.

ConsPay and not much room for moving up or increase in salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay to an investigator should easily be $65K.... If it is that important to the government to have people working 100% to maintain security and integrity then you should pay those people what they deserve. There a ton of people making more and doing less in this country. The employees you hire and train are top notch people and deserve to be paid a salary that fits qualifications.

Worked for KeyPoint Government Solutions? Contribute to the Community!