KeyPoint Government Solutions Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
91 reviews filtered by
2.4
Eric Hess

Pros
  • One of my favorite things is being able to work from home some each week (in 23 reviews)

• Flexible schedule depending on the ISB manager (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • With the demands of the field managers you will end up working way more than you can actually get paid for (in 8 reviews)

• No merit or cost of living increases (in 4 reviews)

1. My experience was stressful.

Current Employee - Investigator
    Current Employee - Investigator

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of the job is a huge perk.

Cons

Feels like you never have time off and the requirements are changing so it is becoming very stressful.

No advice to give. They do their jobs the best they can.

It's what you make of it.

Former Employee - Field Investigator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Investigator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This job was all about what you put into it and how capable you were of managing the expectations and how to execute the planning. I loved this job because of it's flexibility. This was never a 9-5 job for me. It was a I'm going to do what was going to give me the best opportunity to succeed. If I had to go knock on someone's door, I was going to do it at 5 PM, which meant I had the opportunity to wake up as late as I wanted to. I had an excellent Field Manager in Bob Dunkel, who isn't a field manager anymore. If you are a person that can be happy working by yourself, not requiring much supervision, this is the best job ever. I enjoyed traveling on company money to do work.

Cons

Compensation was probably the weakest point. They didn't have any annual increases, but paid out their quarterly bonuses on time and without question, which was nice. I really didn't know much about company values because I only had contact with my field manager and really nobody else.

If you need to hire more people, then do it. If you need to spend more money on hiring quality people, then do it. Don't be afraid to fire people. There are people just not cut out for the job. You need to hire better people to do the work you need to get done. And this is all important work. Most people doing the job are just trying to get by. That's unacceptable considering the nature of the work that is being performed. (OPM contract)

Usis takeover.

Current Employee - Special Investigator V
    Current Employee - Special Investigator V

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions

Pros

Pros have disappeared over the past 6 months.

Cons

Since the onboarding of the USIS investigators in 2014, Keypoint has become USIS part 2. I started at USIS in 2001 and loved my job. By the time I left in 2011 to work for KeyPoint, the only focus of USIS was production and increasing revenue (which directly led to the case dumping issue). The original company statement had a clause that the company would do what is right for its employees and their families. That Mission Statement was replaced around 2005 or 2006.

Since USIS lost the contract in October of 2014, those of us who had been working for KP and had not seen raises or promotions watched as USIS investigators were offered salaries above what they made at USIS and get to keep their vacation accrual from USIS. USIS managers were hired, who hired USIS personnel over more qualified KP applicants. Almost immediately the pressure was on to produce. We get weekly emails with everyone's Stats listed and updates on production a couple times a week. It is too much.

Reduce the emphasis on production only and change ACDs without the investigator h A ving to write a novel to justify having an ACD mo v ed a couple of days. I loved my job at KP when I started in 2011, but now I cant wait to get out of here.

5. Don't work here. It's a frustrating and depressing place to work.

Current Employee - Operations in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Operations in Loveland, CO

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility about working from home for some people and departments. Most employees are good people and willing to help each other out. Doing important work for the national security of the nation.

Cons

Compensation is poor. Company has refused merit and cost of living pay for entire segments of its workforce for a decade. Underpays most of its operations staff and makes it virtually impossible to get a raise. Upper management seems to have very little understanding of how things function and the actual processes used to get things done. This leads to almost weekly poor and unworkable decisions by upper management. Little willingness to listen to ideas from its employees and the "open door" policy is used to ferret out and punish those who have legitimate concerns. Keypoint brought over a large number of USIS employees and put them into positions of management over qualified Keypoint employees which has had a serious effect on morale. They are inadequately trained, have no sense of the history and culture of Keypoint, and seem intent on implementing the same poor ideas and philosophy that made USIS such a cold, greedy, and corrupt company. Unfortunately, the new CEO garners no respect and is seen as an out of touch, hardheaded, hot-tempered, and unwilling or unable to understand the actual implementation processes of the business. He has gone out of his way to avoid interacting with, and addressing the concerns, of the Operations staff in Loveland. A large amount of time is spent throughout the business by employees finding workaround of the processes laid out by upper managements so that the work can actually be accomplished in a reasonable and logical manner. The implementation of an inefficient assignment tool that had already failed at USIS has greatly complicated the work for Field Managers, Field Investigators, and Workload Coordinators. It is almost universally despised by field operations and management alike. The standards and pressures are so high now for the Field Investigators that great numbers of them are being set up to fail, not to succeed.

Start listening and taking care of your employees. The employees are a vast pool of experience and wisdom so take advantage of it. Morale is in the toilet so do something about it. An immediate cost of living increase is needed for those who have worked many years without due compensation or raises of any sort. The company looks very greedy and selfish for not doing so. The move towards a "culture of greed" is a turn off. Simple steps can be implemented like bringing back the summer picnic and holiday party which were canceled without explanation. Those are integral parts of the Keypoint company culture.

Very shady

Current Employee - Special Investigator
    Current Employee - Special Investigator

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits aren't horrible.

Cons

This company is doomed. They are all about revenue, with no regard to OPM guidelines. Prioritize new cases which are easier to gain revenue, and table old cases without regard to customer designated critical dates. Get revenue at all costs, similar to the USIS strategy.
    Missed your source unit expectation for last week, email from boss saying you have to overproduce (aka, work off the clock) to make up the shortage in the following week.
    Review lives in constant fear of OPM, refiles anything they please with no consequences for their mistakes.
    Hiring a bunch of ex-USIS managers, smart move considering they bankrupt that company.
    KGS management is clearly in over their head. Went from managing a few hundred employees, and very small share of contract, to thousands of employees and a massive share of contract. Have made no rational adjustments to compensate for those increases.

Take advice from your employees. Many have multiple years on the OPM contract, some have advanced degrees, and a few have common sense. If we struggle, we are expected to ask for help. When you struggle, which you clearly are, you refuse to ask your employees for help.

The current leadership style is to threaten and intimidate your employees into compliance. There is no positive motivation, and no concern for employee morale. You may hear good things from a few people, but that's only because we are all afraid to share our true thoughts out of fear of reprisal. If you don't want to be behind USIS in the bankrupt line, stop acting like USIS.

KeyPoint Government Solutions Response

Mar 17, 2015HR Operations Specialist

If you have advice, we want to hear it! This is not lip service: We know our staff is our greatest asset and that what you know will make us a better company.

There are many ways to talk to
    ... More

Overall rating

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions

Pros

Great place to work. Set your own schedule as long as the work gets completed on time

Cons

This is not for everyone

The fear in the field is that since USIS shut down operations some of their management was picked up and we will operate just like they did and loose a lot of good people for their poor management skills.

Investigator

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions

Pros

Some flexibility and decent pay. Good benefits and ability to work from home half time.

Cons

No fleet requires Investigators to use their own cars. New management has created a metric system that prevents Investigators from completing jobs within 80 hour work week. In addition, the new system severely limits bonuses because very few Investigators are now able to meet 100 percent of metric requirements.

Implement fair metrics and set realistic workload requirements.

Current Employee

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions

Pros

Work from home. Benefits and paid time off are good. I don't understand why Veterans Day is not a day off though. If you are organized and dedicated you will be successful.

Cons

Pay should be commensurate with the level of responsibility, this is National Security work and we should be paid as such. Annual raises would definitely boost morale and help in retaining the best personnel. I have seen many experienced investigators jump from contractor to contractor in order to grab bonuses and/or more pay.

Focus more on the importance of the work and take care of your people.

10. Very Happy Contract Investigator

Current Contractor - Contract Investigator
    Current Contractor - Contract Investigator

I have been working at KeyPoint Government Solutions as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Stress free.
    Ease of choosing workload (as much or as little as you like).
    Contractor Liaison that is very nice, helpful, laid back and accommodating.
    ACDs changed when requested.
    Great premium pay for TDYs.
    Quick pay for work.
    I highly recommend the company if you can be a contract investigator.

Cons

My only con is that I wish they would pay the same rates for case items that the other company paid (the one that recently lost the OPM contract). The company makes a ton of money off contractors (with no overhead due to benefits, etc), so they could increase the rates a bit without much of a dent in their revenue.

You would do better increasing the number of contractors and decreasing the number of employee investigators. Contractors do a better a better job on cases and make more money for the company. Employees must rush through cases to meet their points quota, so they are less likely to get full coverage for all items and I-note out lack of coverage a lot, but contractors get paid per item, so they will make a bigger effort to get the full number of sources for every item (and put more time into making sure they have all sources instead of blowing it off). Employees get paid the same no matter how hard they work, so not much incentive.

The most stressful job ever

Former Employee - Case Review
    Former Employee - Case Review

I worked at KeyPoint Government Solutions (more than 3 years)

Pros

One might think setting own schedule is a perk, but it is not. Working from home on the surface seems to be a good thing, but it is not.

Cons

There is no consistency with policy or guidance. Reviewers are given changes that directly affect the field investigators ability to do their job and because those changes are not handed down the result is chaos and poor quality. The company has hired a lot of former USIS personnel who have been poorly re-trained. There are skewed metrics no cost of living or merit increases the business model used is archaic and built around punishment and threats to increase production.

THIS IS A TRULY AWEFUL COMPANY READ ALL THE REVIEWS AND REMEMBER ANYONE CAN POST A POSITIVE REVIEW SO BE SUSPICIOUS.