Keyence Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Michio Sasaki

Pros
  • Keyence UK is a growing company, so good opportunities if you are willing to put the effort in (in 4 reviews)

• Excellent training, not just at the start (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance even for a Japanese company (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, work/life balance is not ideal (in 3 reviews)

1. Fantastic entry level with opportunity to make much moola

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer

I have been working at Keyence full-time

Pros

Keyence has awesome benefits and rewards you in monetary amounts for your achievements. Bonuses are within reach. You work with others around your age and the office is a fun enviornment with loud personalities fit for sales. Keyence also has a high base pay definitely above average for a sales job.

Cons

Sometimes long hours but you are compensated for so. You need to put in the time to get the sales to get your bonuses.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Don't think, just do

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Keyence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are straight out of college, jump all over this job. It is an excellent training ground for becoming a great salesperson. Keyence will ask a lot from you, luckily they are very transparent about what they ask. If you can follow the process you will succeed. Keyence gives the opportunity to learn from your mistakes, in warp speed. You essentially get 5 years of sales experience in two. Consider 2 years at Keyence a master's degree in sales. You will have a huge advantage over your peers you went to school with, plus waaaay more money in your bank account.

Standard Pros: lots of paid vacation, excellent benefits, excellent starting pay

Cons

The process is structured in a way that doesn't allow you to think for yourself, which is great for a brand new employee, but becomes restrictive as time passes. Think of it this way, "we know what works, so do it this way, don't ask why". Once you start getting experience and settling in to the culture of the job, I see two paths develop....A highly functioning Keyence sales robot that is capable of hitting activity goals, but can't sell a life jacket to a drowning person... or a highly capable salesperson that is stifled by the restrictive culture. The robot will move up quickly in Keyence, the other guy will get a job with a different company, then move up quickly.

You are a direct marketing tool for Keyence, no more, no less. The products are so awesome, they sell themselves. The skill level to sell is minimal, just setup calls and show it to people. Why do you think new grads and ex military are the main demographic at Keyence? You follow directions and don't question anything...

Advice to Management

Nothing really, this company is a rocketship of success. Keyence will become(if it hasn't already) the Nike of the industrial automation world. This company will succeed no matter what nameless robot is out there demoing their products.

An amazing company to work for! A dream sales position!

Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Keyence (More than a year)

Pros

Such an amazing sales position to be in. People in the industry respect Keyence and enjoy working with them.

Cons

The training program is intense time ranges anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

5. Senior Sales Engineer

I worked at Keyence

Pros

Good starter company. Good opportunity for bonus.

Cons

Highly process oriented. Not much room for growth.

Difficult place to work

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Keyence full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good base salary for an entry level job. Decent earning potential right out of college. Excellent training program to develop lifelong sales skills.

Cons

Operates with a heavily activity driven model, results in do work for works sake (i.e. expected number of phone calls per day. Not a lot of room for growth and feels almost oppressive in the oversight. High turnover due to burnouts.

Getting a job here is a golden ticket!

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Keyence full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The job is not stressful (I was previously the GM of a construction company and they worked me to the bone at 85 hours a week for half the pay)
    -Everything is compensated
    -Pay is great (at 22 years old my starting salary was 63k plus commision)
    -Benefits are great
    -Travel (I had the opportunity to train and explore in 13 different states)
    -Training is long and thorough
    -The culture is awesome, there is a good split between age groups. Although the company does trend on the younger side, My office hangs out after work often.
    -Managenent cares about you

Cons

-work ends at 5pm, but if you leave the office before 5:15pm, it is frowned upon (makes no sense to me, make work end at 5:15 then!)
    -although the job isn't stressful, I barely have enough time to fit the gym, food shopping, and meal prep into my work week.
    -if your manager doesn't like you, you're not going to enjoy this job.
    -I had to choose the type of car I could drive based on the size of my equipment (big box for the tech)
    -lifting heavy equipment in and out of my car hurts my lower back.

Advice to Management

-Move away from the Japanese culture
    -create more bonding work events
    -more joint sales calls in the beginning
    -more communication between divisions

Continuously Evolving

I have been working at Keyence full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Constantly evolving and improving areas that need to change in the modern world. Good salary.

Cons

If you are not willing to make changes you can sometimes stagnate or get stuck in your role.

Keyence is stable, and ever changing in a positive direction.

I have been working at Keyence full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you want a sales career and steady pay check this is a great place. Upward mobility is also very achievable.

Cons

Structure and consistency are great for most people. The standard format for office setting and management style do not blend well to inspire creativity. But this is potentially something they don't care about anyway.

Excellent opportunity with the industries best training

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer

I have been working at Keyence full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The training offered by Keyence is unmatched in the industry. The typical in classroom training last from 2-6 months depending on the division.
    The pay is competitive to 80% of the industry.
    This is a growth company that didn't need to lay anyone off during the recession. Find me another company of this size that can say the same thing.
    Keyence has the best products in the industry. Customers like to refer to us as the Apple of the industry. This level of quality gives you instant credibility with your customers.
    You can be promoted rapidly.

Cons

If you are not going the management path your career can easily stagnate after 4-6 years.
    If you are in a smaller division it can be harder to move up compared to larger divisions.

Hard Work, moderately rewarded.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Keyence (Less than a year)

Pros

Expenses paid, strong base salary, excellent technical training and support, travel (could go either way), never see your boss.

Cons

Never see your boss/limited feedback. Travel. Long hours. High expectations. Lack of transparency in terms of bonuses and promotions. Glad I got on management's good side because if I didn't life would be a lot harder.

Advice to Management

If you trust your employees with very expensive equipment, why keep things so tight lipped? Be more open about things.

RSS Feed </> Embed