Keynote Systems Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
3.4

Jennifer Tejada

Lots of changes going from a public company to a private company.

I have been working at Keynote Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a real emphasis on collaboration between employees. People work hard but management realizes that vacations and time off are also very important.

The San Mateo office space was remodeled so that it is a brighter and more open work environment.

Cons

The changes brought on by switching from a public to a privately held company has caused a fair amount of turnover. This can be unsettling when co-workers who are ofter friends leave the company.

Make sure that every employee has a transparent work growth plan.

Working on cutting edge and exciting technologies.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Keynote Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good benefits. Good work life balance. Brand new office space in a nice area in Peninsula. As their product is about monitoring sites of eCommerce giants like Amazon, Wall-Mart and providing remote testing features for latest mobiles and tablets, you are constantly working on latest and exciting technologies. But they are good in providing flexibility like work from home. Remote working options provided. Employees can volunteer for their favorite charity and get paid for 40 hours a year. Drinks and snacks are provided free of charge. Top management provides constant update about company's prospects. Company also reimburses employees for attending seminars or taking courses to update their skill sets.

Cons

Need to pay more to employees. Salaries are below market. Especially since their skills are in great demand and they are working on latest technologies.

Need to keep salaries competitive. Top management provides constant updates about prospects of the company but they are more like sales pitches. Top management needs to be honest and open about anything negative.

A turnaround that did not turn the company around, but turned it backwards...

Former Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Keynote Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people/coworkers, hard-working folks. Company in a good market (mostly with their mobile offering), great new environment/facilities, good benefits.

Cons

New management does not take the time to listen to employees. Lots of politics and favoritism. Good performers not being recognized or promoted. Aging technology, not market leaders but distant followers. Lack of vision from a product/industry perspective. Strong employee attrition/turnover.

Stop living in a bubble and being just cheerleaders for the team. Take the time to really understand the state of the products and services, and how much the company is conceding to competitors by not having the right solutions to address customer needs. Take the time to get to know your employees and work with them on professional development plans. Act as if your employees are your best assets, not just say it.

Outdated technologies and workplace.

Former Employee - Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Keynote Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great first experience in software. They would never let someone into the engineering dept without a CS degree. I only got in because it was a front end role on an internship. A lot to learn!

Cons

Mostly outdated technology for front end work. I'm sure they are more invested in products they want to put front and center, but there's a lot they have that's in maintenance mode and there's no product support for it. Company values have changed dramatically since Umang Gupta sold. Now, it might be good again, but they laid off too many people after the sale.

No advice for upper management. I'm sure they have their own ideas.

Change us a happening...and pace is picking up!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Keynote Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Much needed changes are being rolled out. Some fast...some not fast enough...mostly all good. Big focus on innovation, new technologies, and collaboration internally and directly with customers. More attention and engagement from new executive team with the rest of the company. Keynote is a fun place to work again and the positive energy is flowing!

Cons

Lots of change = lots of work! This is mostly felt with the management and internal business support teams. Some groups feel more understaffed than others.

Keep the pace going...don't be afraid to take risks in the market and internally. Trust your teams and those who have been with the company for awhile while we pursue new directions. Keep making Keynote a fun place to work...so far, so good.

What a difference 9 months makes

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Keynote Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting environment, with a lot of change going on. I find myself enjoying working here much more, partly because of the caliber of people I work with and partly because of the collaborative environment.

Cons

There is a lot of change. Sometimes it feels like things are happening too fast, and then that some things are happening too slowly.

Keep it up. Heading in the right direction.

This is not your father's Keynote

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Keynote Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at Keynote for almost 6 years. In the past 9 months this company has received an injection of energy that is transforming it into a force to be reckoned with in our industry. The company was bought by Thoma Bravo, brought private and many key executives have moved on. The result of all this change and the new focus that the new owners and executives have brought in is that this is a more exciting place to work than in all the previous years that I've been here.

Cons

This "new" Keynote is a place for people who want to work and be challenged. So there are days when I go home very tired only to need to be back early the next morning for another challenging day. And right now there is a lot of new management, some of whom are still learning about Keynote and others that have been promoted into positions they are still learning to handle effectively. This has led to some short term growing pains, particularly as everyone is being challenged to do things that were not asked of them previously.

Some tough decisions have had to be made in the past 6-9 months by management at Keynote. I know that there are some employees that feel that some of these decisions were not the best thing for the business. While I don't agree with that opinion I do understand it and I would ask management to bear in mind that some very good people (particularly those that work in remote offices) may not be feeling the excitement that many of us are experiencing in the San Mateo headquarters these days.

Been with Keynote for 10 years and am more excited now about our future than at any other time in the past.

I have been working at Keynote Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Prior to going private through the Thoma Bravo acquisition we were too conservative and missed a lot of market opportunities. Today decisions are made and action is taken quickly to seize worthwhile opportunities. Love the new energy level and how we are positioned, especially to capitalize on the exploding mobile opportunities. Very, very financially stable company, with a proven record of making our customers happy combined with new leadership. Very good balance of work/life here.

Cons

Lots of changes over past 6 months required extra effort to work through, but in the long run the changes were needed to ensure we stay ahead of our competition and continue to make our customers happy.

Keep your foot on the pedal. Love your vision of where we are headed and am confident you can help us achieve it.

A company that's turned the corner on the past and is headed for great things.

I have been working at Keynote Systems full-time

Pros

Great fresh energy, great products, great people. Things have dramatically changed here since the company was taken private back in August. New management has brought a new level of excitement and rigor that was much needed. This feels like a top notch high tech firm once again. This is going to be a fun ride.

Cons

Everything that could be a "con" is in the past.

Keep your foot on the gas pedal! Things are changing for the better every day.

Stagnant Industry; Worst VP of Sales based on NY; No Trust

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Keynote Systems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

If you want to retire, hide and say YES to everything, you have hit the jackpot

Cons

Aging dinosaur with new make-up as owners

Good Luck!