Keynote Systems

Keynote Systems Reviews in San Mateo, CA

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Jennifer Tejada

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Change us a happening...and pace is picking up!

San Mateo, CA

ProsMuch needed changes are being rolled out. Some fast...some not fast enough...mostly all good. Big focus on innovation, new technologies, and collaboration internally and directly with customers. More attention and engagement from new executive team with the rest of the company. Keynote is a fun place to work again and the positive energy is flowing!

ConsLots of change = lots of work! This is mostly felt with the management and internal business support teams. Some groups feel more understaffed than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the pace going...don't be afraid to take risks in the market and internally. Trust your teams and those who have been with the company for awhile while we pursue new directions. Keep making Keynote a fun place to work...so far, so good.

Outdated technologies and workplace.

Developer (Former Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat first experience in software. They would never let someone into the engineering dept without a CS degree. I only got in because it was a front end role on an internship. A lot to learn!

ConsMostly outdated technology for front end work. I'm sure they are more invested in products they want to put front and center, but there's a lot they have that's in maintenance mode and there's no product support for it. Company values have changed dramatically since Umang Gupta sold. Now, it might be good again, but they laid off too many people after the sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice for upper management. I'm sure they have their own ideas.

What a difference 9 months makes

San Mateo, CA

ProsExciting environment, with a lot of change going on. I find myself enjoying working here much more, partly because of the caliber of people I work with and partly because of the collaborative environment.

ConsThere is a lot of change. Sometimes it feels like things are happening too fast, and then that some things are happening too slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Heading in the right direction.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is not your father's Keynote

San Mateo, CA

ProsI have been at Keynote for almost 6 years. In the past 9 months this company has received an injection of energy that is transforming it into a force to be reckoned with in our industry. The company was bought by Thoma Bravo, brought private and many key executives have moved on. The result of all this change and the new focus that the new owners and executives have brought in is that this is a more exciting place to work than in all the previous years that I've been here.

ConsThis "new" Keynote is a place for people who want to work and be challenged. So there are days when I go home very tired only to need to be back early the next morning for another challenging day. And right now there is a lot of new management, some of whom are still learning about Keynote and others that have been promoted into positions they are still learning to handle effectively. This has led to some short term growing pains, particularly as everyone is being challenged to do things that were not asked of them previously.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome tough decisions have had to be made in the past 6-9 months by management at Keynote. I know that there are some employees that feel that some of these decisions were not the best thing for the business. While I don't agree with that opinion I do understand it and I would ask management to bear in mind that some very good people (particularly those that work in remote offices) may not be feeling the excitement that many of us are experiencing in the San Mateo headquarters these days.

Keynote Systems provided a great work environment.

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe team at Keynote Systems is a very passionate and close knit group. They care greatly about each other and their customers.

ConsKeynote was taken private very recently. In the short term, there will be some distractions based on this. Given the management team's direction, this will be short lived.

Keynote is making some great changes

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsGreat culture, great product, receptive leaders and opportunities to make an impact.

ConsA lot of change which can be distracting. The changes are good ones, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew members of the management team are doing a great job promoting an energetic and dynamic culture. Employees are being treated very well and everyone has a voice. The teams are ready for more great improvements it so let's keep pushing.

Coast along job

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe work/life balance is good since you just have to do the base job that has been identified for you. Don't need to learn new things because there is no product innovation or changes.

Consno technical growth since there is no innovation at the company. and no wonder it was sold.

Advice to Senior Managementnone at this time since it recently got sold

Horrific lack of work/life balance, work around the clock, discriminates against disabled

Information Technology Manager (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsHigh salaries, benefits, but low pay considering how many hours per week/year you have to work.

ConsNo sleep. Atmosphere where you are expected to work around the clock, on call 7x24x365, non-stop, to the point where it destroys employees' health and home lives. Unwilling to reasonably accommodate employees with disabilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making your employees work around the clock. Hire more people to distribute the work. Work smarter not harder. Don't attack employees with medical disabilities and engage in retaliatory practices such as demoting them, firing them etc.

ok, but could be great company

Sales (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

Prosgreat culture, cool products, good people

Consslow product innovation, slow change management

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to customers

Can you hear me now?

Slave (Former Employee)

Proswork life balance at only 60 work hours a week

Consno life due to 60 work hours a week
    salary cuts
    no raises
    sup-par salaries compared to industry standards (HR should do more to research this but they are filing their nails)

Advice to Senior ManagementCultures and Values: Live what you speak, you listen to customers needs but not ours. You talk a good game but don't follow through with employees. VPs should take a good look at their departments and just for a moment get their head out of cloud or..... wherever it is. Open you eyes and see where the problems are:
    Great Departments:
    Needs Improvement:
    -Marketing
    -Sales & Support
    -Human Resources

Worked for Keynote Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Keynote Systems reviews and ratings in San Mateo, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Keynote Systems CEO Jennifer Tejada. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Keynote Systems employees.