Keywords International

Updated July 21, 2014

3.2

Andrew Day
1 Rating

Fun work environment, constant change in projects

Current Employee - LQA Game Tester  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - LQA Game Tester in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Keywords International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Keywords consist of a great group of diverse people from all over the world for the language testing roles, and this makes for a fun and up-beat work environment. We get to work on great Xbox games, and the pace and mood on each project is always different. We get paid vacation, and sick days.

Cons

Everyone is on a contract, which means some instability in terms of what the future holds. For some people this isn't a viable option in terms of a steady income for paying the bills, and providing for their families. There are few FT jobs, but some people seem to be moving up the ranks - so some good with the instability!

It would be awesome with better communication around career path/personal growth. Also, it would be helpful if we could implement a weekly newsletter about future projects, what is happening around the company growth etc.

NO job security, LACK of professional growth, DISHONEST management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Keywords International full-time

Pros

You get some experience in the gaming industry and a Microsoft v-. Also, fellow colleagues are really nice and the environment is multicultural.

Cons

NO job security whatsoever. Management is constantly dishonest and very unorganized. They lie to you saying that you will have a job for 3 months, you make plans, and then they keep you for one month and after that you stay one month home. Very stressful environment as you do not know what will happen from one day to the next.
    Management plays favorites, keeping some people although they have nothing to do, promoting some people although they lack the skills. They keep promising and lying while nothing materializes. Lack of diversity in higher management, only one woman test lead.
    Might be a good job for someone with no work experience, but as a career or a personal investment not worth it at all.

Be honest, at least your employees will know what to expect. Create a meritocracy and stop playing favorites.

There are projects coming and fill with non experienced people to make up head counts

Current Employee - Lqa Tester  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lqa Tester in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Keywords International as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If you speak any language rather than English, you get a job. And you can get "v-" status at Microsoft.

Cons

So anyone can get a job means, people are not professional whatsoever. Some of the GAME testers have NEVER touched a game console before. Some employees are babysitting those no-idea-what-i-am-doing employees. Oh, did I mention they DO NOT offer any benefits?

Tell people there are no opportunities, benefits, and flexibilities.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfying job in gaining experience in the QA industry

Former Employee - LQA Game Tester  in  Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - LQA Game Tester in Redmond, WA

I worked at Keywords International as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The company is full of growth at this time in Washington as they start partnering with Microsoft on the QA work for the Xbox One and so there are a lot of opportunities to advance in the company

Cons

As a college student I felt like sometimes that I wasn't valued anything more than a simple contract worker but I was thankful for the experience regardless

Exploited and humiliated

Former Employee - Language QA Tester  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Language QA Tester in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Keywords International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Due to the nature of the business you get to work with young people from all over the world. If you are a tester. the type of job also allows you to bond and make friends within your team. The management is very generous when organising nights out at the end of projects. The job can be suitable for students as summers are really busy and the wage increases considerably thanks to the hours of overtime worked.

Cons

Several hours of overtime are often requested. I have seen people work for a month non-stop, no days off, from 9.30 in the morning until 9, 10 or 11 in the evening. From a legal point of view, of course it is possible to choose not to do any overtime, but in most cases when you start working for them you only have a short-term contract that covers you only until the end of your current project. If your performance does not suit the management they will think twice before calling you in for another project. I worked for them for over a year and never got a permanent/long-term contract. After a year working regularly for them, on one occasion our team lead brought all the team to a meeting room and asked us in front of everybody whether we were available for overtime or not. On that occasion I was not available and as a consequence of this I had several meetings with the management, I was told that probably I was not fit for the job and that I had demotivated other people by refusing to work overtime. Since then I was never called for projects longer than a couple of weeks. On another occasion our team lead made a list of the mistakes made by the team during the previous week and read the"chart" (best tester, worst tester) out loud in front of everybody. The food provided when you do overtime is take-away food, not the healthiest, especially if you find yourself eating it every evening for a month. Sexist comments are made without anybody complaining about them. Usually women and homosexuals are targeted. When you do overtime you might even get an email with the picture of a girl in revealing clothes telling you to choose the type of pizza you want. Not to mention the pressure of having to turn down your team lead's attention, knowing that he will score your testing performance at the end of the project. The wage can be very low (the conditions vary from language to language according to the company's needs when they hire you). Competitiveness is encouraged within teams and language accuracy is not always taken into consideration. The work/life balance is so inexistent that many people fall sick frequently after the first year in the job and their relationships deteriorate.

Start treating your testers as human beings and not slaves.

Good atmosphere but limited career options and poor wages with no benefits

Current Employee - QA Lead  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - QA Lead in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Keywords International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good atmosphere, the operational and project managers are all very nice. It's relaxed even when the pace of work gets hectic.

Cons

Very limited career opportunities, poor contracts, dreadful pay and no options to negotiate the contract or wage rises. Internal communication and performance feedback is nearly non existent. Even when the management is nice, the employees have to find value in the gaming aspect of the work, as it is very difficult to feel valued as a person unless you happen to get lucky with project assignments and get to advance sooner. Do not expect to become a lead soon, there is no reward for good performance, it is down to luck and if the test PM's happen to think about you when assigning projects.

Amazing experience

Former Employee - Localized Game Tester  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Localized Game Tester in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Keywords International as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

International environment, new technologies and games, dream job

Cons

I was on a temporary contract. I wish i could get a permanent one.

Offer better contracts. But itis understandable that some markets dont have projects throughout the year

Diabolic contracts and poor internal communication quality..

Former Employee - LQA Game Tester  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - LQA Game Tester in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Keywords International as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They serve free fruit once a day. The job is not difficult. Nice location (Dublin). You get to work with some of the biggest producers in the industry (Gaming). I worked on two projects and we had an overall great time!

Cons

The management is unorganised, they lie to/avoid you in many cases. Relentlessly poor internal communication. Limited feedback on performance and short notice about upcoming projects make the job very stressing. Overtime can be hard to cope with.

Be more visible (I never even got to shake the hand of my superior, once). Do something about communications issues! Treat your employees with respect and cut the "Flexi Term" contract.

Very laid back and good atmosphere, however as a tester you are used as resource, not like a individual or asset.

Current Employee - Localized Game Tester  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Localized Game Tester in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

Laidback atmosphere, good relocation package, good working equipment, hot girls for a gaming company, freedom at work place

Cons

Low pay, very temporary, no feedback to your performance, managers don't care about you, far from the city center, no benefits except relocation, temporary contracts, very uncertain future for possible employment

Take a better care of your employees, do not see them as a cell in an excel file. Right now the current relationship with management is very anonymous. Also providing merchandise from the tested games to the testers creates wonders.

Good company to start a career. Not for "long term" though...

I worked at Keywords International as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good to start a career. Good for those who prefer multilingual environment.

Cons

Low Compensation & Benefits. Would not advice to think of building a future development in there; it almost take ages (not exaggerating) to get promotion. Or be a friend of the friend of the friend of... that might work. HR, never really knew who was in HR team, mysterious HR.

Be more organized. Testers want to grow to, so they need your help for that. Long term contracts

Worked for Keywords International? Contribute to the Community!