Keywords International

Start-up Atmosphere

Former Employee - Localisation Tester in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Localisation Tester in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Keywords International as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting employees from all over the world, social life, enjoyable work, paid holidays and plenty of overtime opportunities

Cons

Very disorganized with little long-term planning, contracts often end after a couple months due to a lack of available project work

Commit to your contract employees for a specified term and you won't always be scrambling to fill vacancies at the last minute! A lot of the overtime expense could be avoided with more effective project management and less lax project management.

Poor communication, poor training, low salary

Former Employee - Localizer/Game Tester in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Localizer/Game Tester in Redmond, WA

I worked at Keywords International as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with Keywords International in Redmond, WA for almost a year. It is fun to work with people all over the world. My colleagues were foreigners - like me - who live in the US and cannot get a better job.

Cons

Fickle job: you can sit around for days bored to tears, and the next week work 80 (incl. overtime and weekends) to get everything done in time. The salary is low, and management does not bother to properly train people. Also you are never certain if you can still work the next week (or the next day even!), because project/resource planning is non-existent. Also the internal communication is terrible. You never know - until the very last minute - what's going to happen. But my biggest problem was the fact that management is not honest. They play favorites (promoting people who they like, not who are the best), and they lie when you join Keywords International: they will tell you it is a regular 40 hours per week job (and it CAN be for a certain period), but it really isn't and you'll find that out once they tell you they only have 2 days per week (or no work at all) for you for the next 2 months. And since you're on contract you do not get paid during those idle hours/days.

Be honest when you recruit people. Stop playing favorites. Communicate. Stop treating your work force as resources.

NO job security, LACK of professional growth, DISHONEST management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Keywords International full-time

Pros

You get some experience in the gaming industry and a Microsoft v-. Also, fellow colleagues are really nice and the environment is multicultural.

Cons

NO job security whatsoever. Management is constantly dishonest and very unorganized. They lie to you saying that you will have a job for 3 months, you make plans, and then they keep you for one month and after that you stay one month home. Very stressful environment as you do not know what will happen from one day to the next.
    Management plays favorites, keeping some people although they have nothing to do, promoting some people although they lack the skills. They keep promising and lying while nothing materializes. Lack of diversity in higher management, only one woman test lead.
    Might be a good job for someone with no work experience, but as a career or a personal investment not worth it at all.

Be honest, at least your employees will know what to expect. Create a meritocracy and stop playing favorites.

There are projects coming and fill with non experienced people to make up head counts

Current Employee - Lqa Tester in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lqa Tester in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Keywords International as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you speak any language rather than English, you get a job. And you can get "v-" status at Microsoft.

Cons

So anyone can get a job means, people are not professional whatsoever. Some of the GAME testers have NEVER touched a game console before. Some employees are babysitting those no-idea-what-i-am-doing employees. Oh, did I mention they DO NOT offer any benefits?

Tell people there are no opportunities, benefits, and flexibilities.

Fun work environment, constant change in projects

Current Employee - LQA Game Tester in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - LQA Game Tester in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Keywords International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Keywords consist of a great group of diverse people from all over the world for the language testing roles, and this makes for a fun and up-beat work environment. We get to work on great Xbox games, and the pace and mood on each project is always different. We get paid vacation, and sick days.

Cons

Everyone is on a contract, which means some instability in terms of what the future holds. For some people this isn't a viable option in terms of a steady income for paying the bills, and providing for their families. There are few FT jobs, but some people seem to be moving up the ranks - so some good with the instability!

It would be awesome with better communication around career path/personal growth. Also, it would be helpful if we could implement a weekly newsletter about future projects, what is happening around the company growth etc.

Satisfying job in gaining experience in the QA industry

Former Employee - LQA Game Tester in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - LQA Game Tester in Redmond, WA

I worked at Keywords International as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The company is full of growth at this time in Washington as they start partnering with Microsoft on the QA work for the Xbox One and so there are a lot of opportunities to advance in the company

Cons

As a college student I felt like sometimes that I wasn't valued anything more than a simple contract worker but I was thankful for the experience regardless

I was working at Keywords International as a contractor for over a year

Former Employee - Language QA Game Tester in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Language QA Game Tester in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Keywords International as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly and sociable co-workers
    Interesting multinational office
    Nice environment and atmosphere
    Interesting projects to work on

Cons

Sometimes testing/playing the same game for number of months can get boring!
    Had to work long overtime hours at very short notice.

Better project management in terms of time so staff are not asked to do overtime at 20 min notice!

Fun place to work

Current Employee - German QA Tester in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - German QA Tester in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

International team
    Interesting projects
    Free pizza for overtime
    Mostly good housing

Cons

Low salaries
    Housing only for a limited amount of time

Okei work for student or anybody who wants to enter Gaming business

I worked at Keywords International full-time

Pros

Ability to work with people all over the world.

Cons

Unstable and inconsistent projects, low pay, high turn out.

Exploited and humiliated

Former Employee - Language QA Tester in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Language QA Tester in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Keywords International as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Due to the nature of the business you get to work with young people from all over the world. If you are a tester. the type of job also allows you to bond and make friends within your team. The management is very generous when organising nights out at the end of projects. The job can be suitable for students as summers are really busy and the wage increases considerably thanks to the hours of overtime worked.

Cons

Several hours of overtime are often requested. I have seen people work for a month non-stop, no days off, from 9.30 in the morning until 9, 10 or 11 in the evening. From a legal point of view, of course it is possible to choose not to do any overtime, but in most cases when you start working for them you only have a short-term contract that covers you only until the end of your current project. If your performance does not suit the management they will think twice before calling you in for another project. I worked for them for over a year and never got a permanent/long-term contract. After a year working regularly for them, on one occasion our team lead brought all the team to a meeting room and asked us in front of everybody whether we were available for overtime or not. On that occasion I was not available and as a consequence of this I had several meetings with the management, I was told that probably I was not fit for the job and that I had demotivated other people by refusing to work overtime. Since then I was never called for projects longer than a couple of weeks. On another occasion our team lead made a list of the mistakes made by the team during the previous week and read the"chart" (best tester, worst tester) out loud in front of everybody. The food provided when you do overtime is take-away food, not the healthiest, especially if you find yourself eating it every evening for a month. Sexist comments are made without anybody complaining about them. Usually women and homosexuals are targeted. When you do overtime you might even get an email with the picture of a girl in revealing clothes telling you to choose the type of pizza you want. Not to mention the pressure of having to turn down your team lead's attention, knowing that he will score your testing performance at the end of the project. The wage can be very low (the conditions vary from language to language according to the company's needs when they hire you). Competitiveness is encouraged within teams and language accuracy is not always taken into consideration. The work/life balance is so inexistent that many people fall sick frequently after the first year in the job and their relationships deteriorate.

Start treating your testers as human beings and not slaves.

Keywords International Photos