Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia

Updated April 10, 2015
35 reviews filtered by
3.2
Byung Mo Ahn

1. Very nice place to work. Comfortable and easy to work with management.

Former Employee - Specialist in West Point, GA
    Former Employee - Specialist in West Point, GA

I worked at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia

Pros

Reasonable tasks set and very flexible environment

Cons

Less engineering related than what I wanted from employment.

2. I worked in the stamping department. Within KMMG it is regarded as the most relaxed of the departments

Former Employee - Stamping Co-op in West Point, GA
    Former Employee - Stamping Co-op in West Point, GA

I worked at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia

Pros

Good benefits and bonuses, steady promotions that eventually cap off

Cons

Rotating Shifts mean you work first shift for a month, then second shift, then third.

3. Quality engineer (specialist)

I worked at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia full-time

Pros

-Great benefits package.
    -Probably one of the better companies to work for in the West Point, GA area.
    -There are some overtime opportunities.

Cons

-High turnover, in my department over 40% of the specialist I worked with quit within my first year.
    -Many managers have hard time communicating with specialists, allowing personal views and relationships to decrease their ability to make good decisions.
    -There is nowhere for specialist to move up except into management positions. Management positions only open up when a current manager quits, which is very rare.
    -Pay is well below average for an engineer, and you are looked down on for wanting to remain in a technical position and not become a manger.
    -Difficult to make positive changes due to Korean management not wanting to give much decision making power to American employees. Koreans generally don't trust the work you do and will have a Korean engineer redo the tests you do before accepting your opinion. This waist a lot time and is very frustrating.
    -Technical training is rarely administered to specialists. Managers expect employees to learn most job duties from other current employees, which is difficult with the high turnover.
    -Your team is very small compared to similar teams at other automotive manufacturers, so you end up with many more responsibilities than is the industry norm, so the job requires lots of overtime and weekend work, although you only get overtime pay after 45hours worked in a week. Raises don't reflect how hard you work, they are based on time worked at KMMG.

Advice to Management

Create a technical ladder system, so specialists have something to work towards. Pay for performance, not just based on how many years you have been there.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Specialist in Lagrange, GA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Lagrange, GA

I have been working at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is great especially for the area. Management is easy going and is fairly hands off considering it is a manufacturing facility. No one in the plant makes less than $50,000/yr. and benefits are comparable or better than many companies in Georgia or surrounding states. OEMs standardly let employees off for a week at Christmas so that's a HUGE plus.

Cons

Rotating shifts every 4 weeks is tough but on the positive side you can get a lot of personal business handled without using PTO. This place is nowhere near civilization so expect to drive 40+ mins to work. Valley, Alabama is a joke and LaGrange is a crime infested slum. Civil residency can be found in Auburn, Al or Newnan, GA.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and proceed cautiously with new hires. I understand it is hard to find talent

6. Assembly Line Worker

Current Employee - Production Team Member in West Point, GA
    Current Employee - Production Team Member in West Point, GA

I have been working at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia

Pros

Good pay with great health benefits and bonuses.

Cons

Rotating shifts are the worst. Every 30 days.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees who work on the line and not the upper management.

7. What a miserable place to work.

Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in West Point, GA
    Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in West Point, GA

I have been working at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and unbeatable insurance. Literally no other benefit to working here.

Cons

Too many to list.

-Horrible treatment by Management and Koreans

-You have almost no opportunity to advance unless you're part of the "in" crowd

-surrounded by people that are awful at their job because they kiss the feet of the right managers

-Negative work atmosphere

-Medical center is more harmful than helpful. Their primary objective is to drug test people when they get hurt to eliminate potential liabilities. I recently went up there after dealing with severe allergies for 2 weeks, and they told me to keep taking generic over the counter cold/allergie medicine to treat the symptoms. Well, I continued to do that for 2 more weeks until a terrible migraine started. Went to a real doctor and he found an infection and that the over the counter medicine they told me to take had caused my blood pressure to elevate to stroke levels. The doctor prescribed me the correct anti biotics and I was better in a couple of days.

Oh, and as a final slap in the face, they tried to deny approval for a Tuesday off while I was dealing with that.

-Team Relations, (who is supposed to be a voice on your side when you have an issue with KMMG) is completely useless. They do nothing but parrot the same lines management has told them over and over. They will be of no help to you.

Advice to Management

I know you look down on everyone under you, but try not to be so obvious about it at least. We know when the Koreans have come to chew you guys out because you come out and yell at group leaders over minute, petty things. You guys lead by intimidation rather than by example.

8. I have enjoyed everything since day one.

Current Employee - Quality Control in West Point, GA
    Current Employee - Quality Control in West Point, GA

Pros

The benefits are great! Great workforce! Fast paced environment

Cons

The rotating shifts is a challenge. Not enough commutation between management and team members.

Advice to Management

A new pay progression for the future and a way to build pto days from Saturday work.

9. Great People, Not-so-great Culture

Former Intern - Production Control Specialist in West Point, GA
    Former Intern - Production Control Specialist in West Point, GA

I worked at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive
    People are honest, hard working and friendly
    I was put in a position of trust and immediate impact
    "Team" is the key there. They often took us to lunch, organized kickball and soccer games or other activities to help relieve stress.
    Benefits (free clinic for employees) are pretty great.

Cons

Culture is bland and hierarchical in nature, due to being Korean-oriented. Work schedule is tough and time off is hard to get unless your manager is friendly. Stress can be almost unbearable at times.

Advice to Management

Put some more color into the workplace. Everything is gray.

10. Great company to work for

Former Intern - Co-Op
    Former Intern - Co-Op

I worked at Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was great. Management was very encouraging in all of my activities. I learned a lot from my time interning with KIA. Pay was fair and comparable to other interns

Cons

Very bureaucratic. Too many layers of management. Other than that there isn't much to complain about.

11. Process engineer

Current Employee - Process in West Point, GA
    Current Employee - Process in West Point, GA

Pros

Overtime, ability to lean a lot of the manufacturing process. Covers a wide range of engineering positions.

Cons

Rotating schedule. Have to cover 2nd shift and some of 3rd shift.