Kiawah Island Golf Resort

Roger Warren

Kiawah

Server (Current Employee)
    Kiawah Island, SC

ProsGreat company, that gives you higher than normal pay, holiday and sick time from day one.

ConsCulture in department has a lot of gossiping and a lot of two faced comments amount employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote a work place that does not tolerate gossiping and negative attitudes towards each other

Dream Job

Rooms Division (Former Employee)
    Charleston, SC

ProsTraining and Development, KIGR family, you can't beat having access to facilities an services that guests pay a lot of money to use. Employees get most everything at greatly reduced rates. Career opportunities.

You miss it once you leave! I shouldn't have taken another job away from the resort.

ConsBit of a commute but great scenery on the drive!

Advice to Senior ManagementMove Island closer to Charleston! : )

You have to be kidding me!!

Pro Shop Attendant (Current Employee)

ProsDifficult to find many Pros working for kiawah Island Golf Resort

ConsTerrible place to work. At annual "State of the Resort meeting" Roger Warren has said "if you don't like it hee leave, go find another job. You know waht we were paying you when you started". There have not been raised to employees other that managers for SEVEN YEARS!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet REAL!! Stop treating emplyees like animals or lower.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kiawah Island Golf Resort is a place to earn quick money, not start a career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Very intensive training that continues throughout your employment.
    -Managers that will work hard for you, finding you hours around the island.
    -Beautiful island, with many world class amenities that employees have access to.

Cons-Does not encourage people to move up, as managers often make considerably less than their employees.
    -General lack of communication between the outlets leads to dissonance between departments.
    -Managers who are well liked by employees are terminated for cheaper options, heavy turnaround.
    - HR department acts like their PR department, covering up undesirable actions in unethical fashions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf they were to treat the managers with as much respect as the everyday employees, there would not be so much turnaround. This leads to everyday employees enjoying their job, and managers loathing it.

No one has had a pay increase in 5 years.

Shop Attendant (Current Employee)
    Kiawah Island, SC

ProsFree golf and scenery on Island.

ConsTreat employees like crap!! All they care about in gross profit margin and making $$ goals. HR has tooo much power. HR Doing training with golf employees and they know nothing about golf. All anyone cares about is 5 star rating at hotel. Would not recommend Kiawah to anyone looking for Job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeparate the hotel from all Gold employee's. Hotel employees making tee times and telling Guest they can play as a twosome is ridiculous!!!

Kiawah Island is the worst environment I've ever worked in. Only one of my bosses appreciated all my hard work.

Server (Former Employee)
    Charleston, SC

ProsIt's a great place to make money (With a lot of hard work). Beautiful island to see everyday! The golf courses are world class and a beauty to look at. The Sanctuary is breathtaking.

ConsUnappreciative for their hard working employees. Penny-pinchers that only care about profit margins, not their employees. Poorly execute service behind the scenes.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore organization and better communicate. More genuine concern and care for their employees.

I used to work at Kiawah Island Golf Resort

Caddie (Former Employee)
    Kiawah Island, SC

ProsAbility to play some of the finest golf on the east coast for free. The pay was decent for the area and the scenery is unbeatable. You can get steep discounts on rooms and villas on the island.

ConsManagement pushes for too many service standards. They mandate you to fit their image and often are treated as a dime a dozen.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employees shine and be who they are. They are your strongest ambassadors to build customer relationships.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat fellow employees, great benefits and lots of room to grow

ConsLack of work/life balance, after all it is hospitality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of middle management

long hours with little praise and low pay

Golf Shop Attendant (Current Employee)
    Kiawah Island, SC

ProsVery pretty, great co-workers and great for golf access

Consvery little room for growth, over worked and under appriciated

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some people who dont just go through the motions and want to be there.

Great potential and many esthetic rewards

Golf Shop Attendant (Former Employee)
    Kiawah Island, SC

ProsHas the potential to be the disneyland of real life places to visit or live. Great golf courses and awesome beauty.
    Great place to intern and have on a resume.
    Used to get some free leftover food, but they took that away.

ConsThe owner, Bill Goodwin, is extremely cheap (ruined AMF/Harley Davidson), and doesn't care about employees. Very few opptys for advancement or bonuses/raises. They employ some cranky seniors or young kids so they don't have to pay much more than minimum. Managed by a golf pro, not a resort expert.

Advice to Senior ManagementSame as any business, institute a form of profit-sharing incentive program. Treat your people better, then you won't have so much turnover.

Worked for Kiawah Island Golf Resort? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kiawah Island Golf Resort reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kiawah Island Golf Resort CEO Roger Warren. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Kiawah Island Golf Resort employees.