Kidder Mathews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
4.2

Jeffrey S. Lyon

Great Company to work for!!

Current Employee - Real Estate Broker in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Real Estate Broker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Kidder Mathews as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Excellent Team Work

Cons

I don't have any cons to add. Maybe work work parties!

Great company

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant

I worked at Kidder Mathews full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People in management seem to care a great deal about employees. I personally saw great personal financial contributions when some personal disaster hit someone and the sales people went into their own pocket to help out... very nice.

Cons

Probably could be more women, but commercial real estate in general is a white male industry.

Great place to work, depending on who you work with

Former Employee - Staff in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Staff in Seattle, WA

I worked at Kidder Mathews part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as a staff for a specific "professional." My boss was great and since I specifically worked for him (rather than as a general support staff), we had great communication on my job duties.

My job was challenging and rewarding and the compensation was good. I enjoyed my work and the small team I worked with.

The location of the Seattle office is right in the middle of downtown, making it easy to commute by bus.

The office is comfortable with some small perks (coffee, tea, Coke, etc.). The views out the windows are amazing.

Cons

Office culture is a bit stuffy. Most people could stand to be more approachable.

The company email is annoying. Every broker sends their listings out to the whole company.

There's a very obvious gender divide in the company. Most brokers/agents are male, and most staff are female. There are not a lot of women in high positions and personally I've witnessed no attempts to change this fact. I don't see this company as a promising long-term career prospect for females in the real estate industry.

There is a huge disparity between the 47th and 49th floor of the Seattle office. The 47th floor feels over the top swanky (including a private screening room that seems excessive), making the 49th floor (still okay by normal office standards) feel like it has been forgotten by the company. This creates a weird dynamic between the culture of the two floors (I felt like an outsider whenever I needed to go down to the 47th floor), since the amenities of the two floors are so different, on top of the fact that the office is physically split in two.

Make the office more cohesive and friendly. Make employees on the 49th floor feel more like a part of the overall office and less like they've been hidden away in an annex.

Proud to be a former employee

I worked at Kidder Mathews

Pros

I enjoyed my time with KM for many reasons. For one, it feels like a family business even though it is a well established company that has 500+ employees. All the employees across the many offices are very close to each other and willing to help out one another. Management is very approachable and easy to talk to and will provide you with the training and the tools necessary to succeed in your job.

The company does a good job of keeping the employees morale up by throwing parties, giving gifts during the holiday season, potlucks, happy hours ... etc

A good part of the of the company is that employees aren't worried about layoffs, so everyone is focused on just doing their job and helping the company grow.

Cons

Unless a new position is created for you (which does happen) it's hard to get promoted. The company has figured out the roles needed to keep the company functioning at a high level. Everyone in their roles are doing their job at a very high level as well, which creates very little opportunity in terms of career growth.

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant

I have been working at Kidder Mathews full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Treat employees well with great benefits!

Cons

No room for growth or advancement.

A unique work experiance

I have been working at Kidder Mathews full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some great opprotunities once you get your foot in the door

Cons

Not a lot of Minorities or minority vendors

Definitely do not recommend this company as a place of employment

Former Employee - Commercial Real Estate Appraiser in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Commercial Real Estate Appraiser in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Kidder Mathews full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro was that there were some nice co-workers that were fun. They also gave me a flexible work schedule which was good.

Cons

Though I was given a flexible work schedule and was working more than 30 hours per week both in the office and from home they would not give me benefits. Each department is run like its own business and HR has no say and they do not follow the law, nor even their own employee handbook. There is a lot of sexual discrimination as well. Women are treated as much "lower" than they typical white male, which is the majority of the people who work there.

Upper Management needs to give women more respect. Also, the women who are in management positions need to not be such good old boys and promote their friends rather than those who can actually do the job. I worked at this company for more than five years and leaving there was the best thing that could have ever happened me!

It's CRE brokerage, without all the corporate bs!

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kidder Mathews as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

90/10 splits, no bs, great upper management

Cons

limited platform, limited reach, regional

cut some of the old guard/dead weight

Well managed firm, competent staff and management, overall great place to work

Current Employee - Property Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Kidder Mathews

Pros

Good executive management that support education and training. Some opportunities for advancement. Firm has a good reputation and there are a lot of highly skilled and respected staff.

Cons

More pressure on property managers to take on more to earn fees as a result of the downtown in the economy.

Should have more formal succession plans in place and other more formal programs for promotions.