Kiddie Kandids Reviews

2.1

Dale Merrill

Tons of skills to develop and learn, you become more personable and more patient.

Former Employee - Photographer and Sales Associate  in  Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer and Sales Associate in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Kiddie Kandids part-time for more than a year

Pros

learn so much so quickly, and you learn every day.
    You become extremely patient.
    You work with adorable children and babies who make the job so worth it.

Cons

extremely fast paced and sometimes the people are hard to work with
    they demand a lot out of you with little compensation
    You are always being pulled in different directions when it's understaffed.

compensate your employees, they're photographers, graphic designers, sales associates, and receptionists.

Working at kiddie kandids was very stressful and unreliable and this wasn't because of the customers

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Kiddie Kandids part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers in the studio were friendly.

Cons

DMs and RMs were always changing, when they would visit they would tell you how horrible you were doing right in front of customers even if you were not doing anything wrong. The company itself has a history of closing studios on very short, if any, notice. I was told ten minutes before my shift that I lost my job and to go home only to be called a week later saying I was to be transfered to a different studio. Another coworker of mine did not even know she was laid off until a week later. The company is in the process of being bought out (for the second time) and has laid off almost all of it's DMs and cut all of the studio hours and expecting 30 hours to be split between 8 associates. This company was just a mess, poorly organized, quick to blame the associates for their lack of profit when they constantly gave away free items/coupons with no expiration date and no other limitations.
    They pay their seasonal employes more than their permanent associates and managers and there is no pay raise, my manager worked with the company for 10 years and was only getting paid $8 an hour.

Communicate with your associates more.

Company closed and CPI has them now

Former Employee - District Manager  in  New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - District Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Kiddie Kandids for more than 5 years

Pros

There is no pros they have picture me, sears and now Kiddie Kandids

Cons

They only hire for holidays and benefits are bad

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kiddie Kandid Portrait Studio inside Babie R Us

Former Employee - Studio Manager  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at Kiddie Kandids full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great photo experience and great networking

Cons

You were not rewarded for your work or efforts

You pay for what you get. If you pay minimum wage for a photographer, your not going to get a good one. Why dance for kids when you can scan groceries for the same price? Also, same goes for the management team. You don't pay well at all. And guess what? Company closed bc it wasnt producing what was expected for how pricy the products were. FYI the main corp is CPI which is also Sears Portrait Studio, Pic Me (WalMart), and Shooting Stars (BuyBuy Baby)

Good Experience, Bad store and company ethics

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Photographer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Kiddie Kandids part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed getting studio photography experience, and the interaction with customers.

Cons

Frequently didn't get breaks/lunches. Focus is on sales not the customer.

treat employees and customers less like numbers and more like people.

Unrealistic expectations

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Modesto, CA

I worked at Kiddie Kandids part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun Job, love working with the kids. good equipment and props.

Cons

When there were no customers we were still expected to meet a quota and were penalized when we couldnt. how are we supposed to meet a qouta when the people just arent there???

Make more realistic goals.

Company has no plan. Lied to Investors and is currently being investigated for legal actions.

Former Employee - Studio Manager  in  Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Independence, MO

I worked at Kiddie Kandids full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like being able to work with children and cameras, building a customer base and being able to be creative in the portrait studio suites.

Cons

They did not market anything for new locations and they all failed. They do not pay well, this company is an absolute joke. only had 200+ locations and shut down all but fifty. There was no help generating traffic, besides telling you to walk the floor of babies r us and bother all the shoppers in the store. My DM called me five to six times a day to complain and yell about not hitting goals or numbers.

Hire people who are qualified for the job, not people who are available. Do not hire employees the require micromanaging.

Do not consider their job offer

Former Employee - MIT  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - MIT in Plano, TX

I worked at Kiddie Kandids

Pros

When I first started, kkps was fun to work in. I started travelling between studios. I was hired on as a mit. But very quickly it went down hill. The only pros I can tell you was the customers.

Cons

You are trained by managment whether they know photography or not. They do not keep up with progression of work only degression. If you are forced to take time off because your child is sick, you are responsible for finding coverage not your manager. And then you are reparmanded for taking the time off. But on the other hand, when the manager needs you and you cant make it, you are retailiated against and for that you lose hours. If you have a problem with your manager, you cannot go over their head because of the chain of command. The company expects you to make sales when they offer the same customer a free sheet every day of the week. If there are no sittings on the book you are required to pull the sittings from the store and the company expects those sittings to spend 50 bucks. You are expected to work magic with a stage sitting 3 ft high and a camera that is stationary. The equipment provided is not state of the art as they advertise. As a photographer of 5 years and one that is certified, Kiddie Kandids is the lowest grade of photography and the managers ( studio and DMS) do not have a clear understanding of outstanding photography.

Make sure you train your new employees by the book instead of your understanding of the book. DMs make sure your managers actually know photography. Its very embarassing to get complaints on high your manager stinks at takin photos. Regionals need to be more involved in their studios to know what is going on and why they are losing so many employees. Its because of lies and managers setting up their employees to fail instead of succeed. .

Fun job, cannot get reliable staff

Current Employee - Studio Manager  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Studio Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Kiddie Kandids

Pros

Love to work with kids, freedom to be an artist, the studio can be run how you see fit as long as you make your metrics.

Cons

Hiring someone to be a professional photographer, and only offering 8.50 with 15 hours a week, means you have bad associates that you must fire or good associates that quit right away. In the end you WILL average over 50 hours a week.

Make sure your dm emphasizes on recruiting and training. Or you will start missing your family.

NO COMMUNICATION

Former Employee - Studio Manager  in  Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Rockford, IL

I worked at Kiddie Kandids

Pros

I enjoyed taking pictures of the children. Customers seemed friendly.

Cons

Staff is under trained.
    No communication.
    District Manager said she'd call to formally offer me position...she never did and asked why I didn't call her...um...because I am not the DM and I cannot offer myself the position. DM also told corporate a different rate of pay than what I was told, difference of .50 per hour.
    Staff is unhappy to the maximum, perhaps due to lack of training or pay.
    Unobtainable goals. Corporate does not help out this part of their business, they seem to shift all attention and focus to their money making studio brand.
    Our studio was scary slow, not even GOD himself could have brought the customers in, the location was smack dab in BACK of a Toys R Us location, nobody in our market had ever heard the name Kiddie Kandids before...smarketing would help.

DO NOT LIE.
    COMMUNICATE....treat your most valuable asset as that.

Worked for Kiddie Kandids? Contribute to the Community!