Kids II

Updated November 19, 2014
3.4

Ryan T. Gunnigle

It's not for everyone

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun company events, smart and cool coworkers, gorgeous office environment, constant change and improvement, a lot of internal communications from the CEO, upper managers that work as hard (usually harder) than the employees, awesome products. Job scopes are usually larger compared to other companies, so you get to take on more and learn more.

Cons

Kids II is definitely not for everyone which is evidenced by some of the negative reviews on here. People seem to either love it or hate it. The company has very high expectations and if you're not pulling your weight, it will be noticed and addressed. A lot of the previous posters write reviews as if this were a bad thing but I disagree. If I'm busting my butt and the person next to me is slacking off, I want someone to say something! And yes, Kids II does have a lot of turnover for this reason. But there's also turnover because competitors love our employees - we developed some of the smartest, well-rounded, hardest working employees in the industry. Recruiters are constantly trying to woo employees away; sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. So read the reviews and take it with a grain of salt. If someone wrote a scathing review because Kids II is hard on their employees, you can make the assumption that their performance was addressed. And it is true that a lot of people aren't "good cultural fits" but this doesn't just address the "drinking the coolade" type of culture; the culture is to put in 100%, make smart decisions and constantly improve. If you're not doing that, then you don't fit the culture, plain and simple.

Put more time and money into training and developing the employees. This will pay huge dividends in the long run.

Let's Get Real!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kids II full-time

Pros

There are some rock star employees, unfortunately they end up leaving, Office is nice and great location in Buckhead and great area.

Cons

Grotesquely Underqualified Management, It is painful to see those who are still there and looking for a job so they can leave KIDSII. To say that those of us that left were not a good fit, this is simply an insult, we did not want to leave our friends! We had no other choice due to the sheer incompetence of the Upper Management Staff.
    Why so many CFO's? How can you have more Director's than direct reports? How can you have a Director reporting to another Director? Those whom you have named Director's, they do not have 1 ounce of strategic experience in their entire career. You are not doing them any favors, should they ever leave KIDSII, you are setting them up to get slaughtered in an interview for another Director position.
    You will continue to struggle with your off the charts employee turnover until you are willing to look in the mirror and make some major changes.

I would say continue looking for another job, it seems your Top tier is jumping ship as well.

I'm a real person, and yes it's really that bad

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Buckhead, GA
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Buckhead, GA

I have been working at Kids II full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People spend tens of thousands of dollars at educational institutions dissecting case studies, well at Kids II you get to live it. You will get a world class education on what not to do. That's me trying to write something nice. My last review got removed and I just can't understand why.

Cons

The salary is good if you were actually only working 40-45 hours a week. 6:30 am meeting woooo hoo. If you like direction or strategy, life will be very painful. Imagine yourself as a moving guy carrying a Steinway piano, and just as you get it to the 3rd floor your customer says they really want it in the basement. Then you move it there and they say, nah 2nd floor. They you move it there and they say they really need it in a different color. That's what day to day life is like at Kids II. The most disorganized dysfunctional company I have had the dis pleasure of working for. This is a toy company, they aren't current with any industry standards and your brain will atrophy if you have any real work experience. Not the place to be if you want transferable skills. I take that back, you will probably come out like a Ninja is you work in customer service.

Stop treating people like pawns.

Not for the experienced or savvy professional! Kids II was the worst professional experience of my career.

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Buckhead, GA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Buckhead, GA

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice office, great location for me, excellent salary, nice/friendly coworkers.

Cons

Outdated IT systems, dysfunctional management, small company mentality, poor recognition for day to day successes, zero tolerance customer chargeback policy, no official work from home policy, PTO, countless hours spent on production support and charge back research make Kids II a miserable place to work.

This job was the worst experience of my 20 year IT career. If you are an experienced IT professional you could be very miserable at Kids II. I say 'could' because there are a handful of IT folks that enjoy the work (but honestly, they were all much younger with limited professional experiences). Eighty percent of my time was spent on mundane and tedious production support tasks with no real time dedicated to fixing the core issues that lead to the production problems! If you enjoy manually shuttling data around, reformatting files, chasing down the causes for chargebacks, working with 20 year old DOS batch scripts and other old apps, outdated MS Access routines, a limited and clumsy ERP, and a traditional 'butts in seats' work mentality than this is the place for you!!! Enjoy.

I say 'small company mentality' because we spent a considerable amount of time researching chargebacks due to system inefficiencies or human error trying to correct these system inefficiencies. This policy made everyone involved miserable and cautious to avoid making mistakes. Its been said in other reviews and its very true, we (Operations & IT) walked on eggshells. I frequently spent more costly time researching these than the actual charge! How inane! The company would be better to write off the charge and move on!

Leaving was one the highlights of my year! In addition to the above, IT members are not allowed to work from home unless you are a member of the good ole boy club. In addition, I was frequently called on my personal cell to address production issues only to come in the next day and be asked where I was at 1:30 if I decided to take a late lunch. How about a little flexibility? You won’t find it hear, just the expectation that you fit into the 'Kids II Culture' of hard work, long hours, poor recognition or consideration for your daily efforts, and limited time off (PTO used for vacation/sick time/personal time). All the money in the world couldn't keep me there. What a miserable experience! I learned technically nothing new at Kids II. I was stagnating. I hope you are reading this review BEFORE, not after accepting an offer!!! If after, than my review is probably not news to you.

Ultimately I was faced with the choice of working for a company that makes mid-grade Chinese manufactured Infant and toddler gear, feeling unappreciated, overworked, and constantly stressed about the next failure that would precipitate a customer charge back or leave and take the risk of finding something new. I don't regret the decision to leave for one second. Kids II offered me nothing but a paycheck and misery. It is not the place for you unless you are very young and inexperienced or you just don't know any better!

Be considerate of the time your employees spend on work outside the office and compensate them accordingly (with understanding, encouragement, and flexibility). Let members of IT work from home. This builds incredible loyalty. Measure their output, not the time spent in a chair in the office! Scrap the 'Zero Tolerance' chargeback policy. You will NEVER achieve a year with zero dollar chargebacks, especially when you outfit your teams with outdated tools. It's the small price you pay for doing $400 million in sales.

Finally a real review

Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Product Development Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty office, occasional free fruit and a few times a year have company events

Cons

So here's my 1 star review in a sea of 5's. I can assure you this one is real. Yes Kids II is that type of company. Click on trending ( 1 star average to 5 star overnight...hmmm how did that happen?) or talk to real people on linkedin to get the real scoop. Kids II has a high turn over rate. On average 2-3 people a week have their "jobs eliminated" or quit. Don't become a victim too. I read the terrible reviews and just though these are just one or 2 disgruntle employees. Oh how wrong I was. I could write a thesis on why Kids II is the worst company I have worked for I'll stick to 3 main points that will hopefully help you see the light.

1) There is no direction or procedure at Kids II. Everything is very tribal and chaotic. HR will tell you it's fast paced and going through growing pains. All lies. This is a large company that operates like there are only 3 employees. Unless you are in management you will have to deal with this mess.

2) You are just a pawn. In my experience Kids II doesn't care how many people they burn out, the job market is good enough and the marketing and PR make it easy for them to find new replacements. Don't expect to be treated with respect of like a human being. Once again don't take my word for it talk to a real person. There is only certain language you're allowed to use on this review sit.

3) There really isn't any career growth unless your an intern or fresh out of school. Kids II is far behind industry standards (like having a prototype shop or test lab). Oh wait they make Children's products, why would you want those facilities?

Stop firing people that try to help improve the company

Fake Reviews to make the company look like a great place to work!

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The furniture and slide make the environment a cool place to work in. If you are entry level and want to stay entry level for years, then this is the place for you.

Cons

If you want to get rewarded for how hard you work, Kids ii is not the place for you. They talk about the culture and being transparent, but they really don't live what they preach. The managers there are not equipped to manage teams and are not knowledgeable about the duties of their team so therefore can be great leaders. Over 60 people have left or gotten fired since February and the owner of the company only says that "those that left weren't a good cultural fit." What?! Get a clue and make some real changes.

Get a clue and make some real changes.

Looking for exciting opportunities...Kids II is the place to be!

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Kids II full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Incredible culture giving the employees the opportunity to really drive their areas of ownership. Individuals who are willing to drive and contribute vs. waiting for someone to make the path for them succeed in this environment. Kids II strives to deliver a great work experience. The people at Kids II are awesome and the office and family environment make it an awesome place to work.

Cons

Kids II is very fast paced! It can be challenging, but very rewarding if you are willing to make the investment. You have to push through at times and stay focused on the good vs. dwell on the difficult or stressful times. If you love to work hard and push hard Kids II is a great place.

Focus. Keep pushing, but focus on the priorities. Let's not focus on the small stuff and really drive the key initiatives.

Joining the Kids II Team was a great decision!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kids II full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the main things that drew me to Kids II was the culture...I was really looking to find an employer that recognized that their employees were their biggest asset and treated them as such, and I really feel that Kids II has exceeded my expectations on that front.

The people are wonderful and most really love what they do and actually enjoy coming to work. The office space in Atlanta is unlike any other office I have ever seen - beautifully designed and no detail spared.

Cons

As a competitive and fast paced work environment, employees are always giving more than just clocking a 40 hour week. While the hours are flexible, it's not typically a 9-5 kind of place.

Keep focusing on culture...as we continue to grow as quickly as we are, it is the culture that will keep employees feeling connected.

A class action suit should be filed against this company

Former Employee - Account Service Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Service Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with until they turn on you to throw you under the bus to save their own butts

Cons

This place is traumatizing to everyone that currently works there and that has worked there in the past. Managers are vindictive especially on the international side. They lack the maturity, training and education to be good managers. The style of management is nothing less of bullying. You're constantly walking on egg shells here. You're constantly disrespected and spoken to like a child or second class citizens.

My advice to upper management is to clear out the offices (and the one cubicle) before more people file suit. Drug test your managers. Stop putting people in positions that they are not trained or educated for because it's obvious Business Ethics 101 was not taken

A Company to be proud to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kids II full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and a CEO that cares about the employees. Lots of great benefits and perks! The office in Atlanta and all the product is awesome and something you can be proud of! The company is growing and there is always something new which keeps it fun and challenging at the same time. The people are awesome and very passionate about their jobs and the success of the company.

Cons

The workload can be overwhelming at times which can interfere with work life balance. The move to Buckhead was difficult for many since it has increased the commute time to over an hour each way.

Continue to empower the employees beneath you and trust they can make good decisions. Consider options to help with the work/life balance; allow more work from home.