Kids II Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
54 reviews filtered by
3.2
Ryan T. Gunnigle

Pros
  • Along with a fantastic work environment, Kids II provides an abundance of (in 6 reviews)

• I work for an executive team that really cares about the future of the company and its employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Kids II is extremely fast paced and ever changing but that's good news too (in 9 reviews)

• The workload can be overwhelming at times which can interfere with work life balance (in 5 reviews)

Awesome Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kids II full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Kidsii for almost 14 years. It has been an incredible experience for me. I have seen it grow in leaps and bounds since i started. The people I get the privilege to work with everyday are not only some of the most talented people in the industry but also the kindest. Everyone is like minded and work there tails off because they care care about what we do. It’s nice to have such a special extended family. The new office is beautiful and feel very proud to be here. Kidsii has invested so much into trying to make this place one of the best places to work in the industry. I have seen so much blood sweet and tears poured into this place by all the executives on down to the interns. It starts and the top and i can tell anyone interested in working here how much each and every employee is cared for. I would not dream of working for someone else. I have always believed that you get out what you put in. This is true for Kidsii! They are always open to new and better ways to do business. I've seen people come in and make huge impacts on the company with fresh new ideas.
        Life is fast paced and things do change quickly just like in the market place. If you don't like that you may have a difficult time. I love the challenge every day and feel like we get that. The baby toy business is very competitive and love the fact that we are all that way. Kids ii pushes innovation and better ways to make product safer, cuter, and the best quality on the market. A company that is not growing and being competitive will not last. I can tell you know that Kidsii will last.
         Kidsii gives back to the community. We have a large foundation that focuses on how to give back. You can look at our web site and find out more information if you are interested. I want to thank Kidsii for all they have done for me and my family and feel very blessed to be a part of it. I wanted to thank Ryan Gunnigle for treating everyone the same and caring about the people that work for Kidsii. You expect a lot but you also give back a lot in return.

Cons

The commute for some people is very difficult. I don't think we are the only company in Mid Town Atlanta that has the same problem. I know that ideas and solutions are being worked on.

Advice to Management

Keep being proactive with problems. It's the little things that go a long way.

run, do not walk the other way

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

office look, decent people at mid levels

Cons

opinion, take it as you will, exec team, culture, dishonest, positive posts on glassdoor were posted by HR at Kids II to try and offset the negative posts that reflect reality, those posts are not real, you can recognize which ones. business and personal ethics issues. What is promised is not followed thru on, what is described when one goes thru the interview process is misleading, this opinion is not alone. I have no idea why I stayed as long as I did, false hope

Advice to Management

your not the smartest in the room....by far, your cost cutting measures smell of selling and stranding your employees, not that that would matter to you. Be honest, even if it goes against your DNA, actually, really empower employees, don't just say the words. HR in serious need of an upgrade, top down, CFO relies on college degree with little accomplished, cutting and slashing

All the other reviews are true

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place if you are straight out of college and not ready to enter the "real life" workforce. In entry level or lower level positions you will have opportunities you wouldn't get elsewhere.

Cons

Carefully read what others have posted; every one of them tells some truth, some are just between the lines. The turnover in 2014 was astronomical. Do your salary research.

Advice to Management

You keep saying you need leaders in your company. You already have a lot of great employees who are very capable of being leaders; they just don't have the time because they are stretched so thin. People are so focused on just getting the basics done that it is difficult to do things well. Hire more do-ers and less "leaders" and your true leaders will emerge.

Could be a great company but not there yet.

Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, great people and a product you can be proud of.

Cons

The expectation that you must work long hours to be successful. Long hours for them is at least 10-11 hour days. Expected to work on weekends and in the evenings. If you have no life outside of work, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Quit saying you have flexible work hours, care about people with long commutes. It's not true.

Great company with a ton of potential!

I have been working at Kids II full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a tremendous company with a ton of potential!! The organization has a great foundation and employee base. With some standardized processes and procedures in place, the growth potential for the organization is very high. Senior management is very open to new ideas and changes to the organization that will position help to facilitate growth. The culture is truly unique with a high emphasis on collaboration which is vastly different from environments that I've worked in previously. The employees are friendly and seem to be dedicated to wanting to see the company succeed.

Cons

No negatives, but a true telecommuting program would be a tremendous benefit which management is currently evaluating and implementing for 2015 & beyond.

Advice to Management

Allow your managers to lead, but then hold them accountable!

Direction Issues

I worked at Kids II full-time

Pros

Good People - there are some great people there, passionate, fun, caring, hard working.

Cons

Crazy workload, overly manual proecess, no long-term direction, everything is a fire drill, can't see pass tomorrow, constant direction change, projects never allow to complete before they are deemed not going to work, will not allocate proper resources for projects/task or will pull them away to some other fire drill.

Advice to Management

Management is too hands-on, there are good people there that aren't being noticed. Management is always over ruling the smallest thing, Can't sharpen a pencil without approval from 3 levels. Input is never really heard (don't waste your breath). Turnover has been off the chart the past year, people are jumping ship. You never know if you're being given the truth.

Smoke & Mirrors

Former Employee - Product in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Product in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun people, fast paced, interesting products, slide in the office

Cons

Constantly playing follow the leader instead of trying to be a leader in the industry, employees are just order takers for upper management, care more about appeasing retail partners than creating meaningful products for moms and babies, always in a state of fire drill (reactive instead of proactive), speak alot about the culture but don't take action to make it better

It's not for everyone

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun company events, smart and cool coworkers, gorgeous office environment, constant change and improvement, a lot of internal communications from the CEO, upper managers that work as hard (usually harder) than the employees, awesome products. Job scopes are usually larger compared to other companies, so you get to take on more and learn more.

Cons

Kids II is definitely not for everyone which is evidenced by some of the negative reviews on here. People seem to either love it or hate it. The company has very high expectations and if you're not pulling your weight, it will be noticed and addressed. A lot of the previous posters write reviews as if this were a bad thing but I disagree. If I'm busting my butt and the person next to me is slacking off, I want someone to say something! And yes, Kids II does have a lot of turnover for this reason. But there's also turnover because competitors love our employees - we developed some of the smartest, well-rounded, hardest working employees in the industry. Recruiters are constantly trying to woo employees away; sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. So read the reviews and take it with a grain of salt. If someone wrote a scathing review because Kids II is hard on their employees, you can make the assumption that their performance was addressed. And it is true that a lot of people aren't "good cultural fits" but this doesn't just address the "drinking the coolade" type of culture; the culture is to put in 100%, make smart decisions and constantly improve. If you're not doing that, then you don't fit the culture, plain and simple.

Advice to Management

Put more time and money into training and developing the employees. This will pay huge dividends in the long run.

The most dysfunctional place I've ever worked

I worked at Kids II full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office is nice and the location in Buckhead is convenient unless you have to take highway 400. There's not many pros so it's hard to be positive because the chaos and absolute lack of direction here will drive you crazy.

Cons

The biggest is the lack of strategic experience and business sense by the executives and upper management. From the top leader who never worked anywhere else or had a real job before to the exec leaders who have either no formal college education (yes it's true!) and have been with the company so long they have no experience outside so they have no clue how a company should really run. There are too many in upper management and not enough people who actually do the work. These "leaders" change their minds like they change their socks and you will get burned out quickly working in such a reactionary environment. Almost every employee is looking for another job. The turnover rate here is SO bad. The execs will tell you the people leaving are not a good culture fit. This is simply not true. The people leaving are going because they can't work with such a lack of structure, process and with zero strategic direction. They don't want to bear witness to the good ole boys club anymore, witness the secrecy and the flat out lies that are told. They may also leave because there's no clear path for growth ever given, and there's no such thing as a job description...you may have one but it means nothing. They may also leave because they get tired of watching execs travel on private planes and stay at 5 star hotels but they get told they have to reimburse the company if they go over the meager and unrealistic per diem when traveling. This happened to myself and my colleagues on multiple occasions. They may also leave because sick days and vacation days are the same thing here. You don't get many so everyone comes to work sick and God forbid you try to take a vacation, management has no qualms about calling you on it to ask you to do something because your time with your family is not important to them. They may also leave because as a baby and toy company they have zero paternity leave and even though they upgraded their maternity leave, once you are a working mom they have zero sensitivity for your struggle and there will be no working from home. They are rigid on their policy that you have to be in the office everyday and though they claim to have flex time, it won't matter because you'll get booked into meetings at 7 am just as frequently as you'll get booked into 5 pm meetings and if you try to push back, you'll be viewed as not as dedicated...and even not a good culture fit. So people who leave don't do so because they are not good culture fits, they leave because there is zero work life balance, it's actually a running joke and even the callous execs will say in a joking way,"you know your always on right," but they are not joking. Labeling people as not a good culture fit is their excuse, they are full of those and refuse to listen to employees or admit they have a problem. Covering things up and pretending they are a best place to work is an epidemic here. Denial seems to be a pre-requisite for management. Directors and VPs are equally as miserable as well, I know because I was one and you meet with your peers and upper management and nobody says anything or speaks up because they have watched others do that in the past and those individuals were fired for not being a good culture fit of course. If you read positive reviews on this site, beware, most were written by the company themselves. They have their PR team create positive reviews because they are trying to keep up the image but as we all know in this day and age you have to be transparent and if you are not the truth WILL come out. The truth comes out on this site in every single bad review. Those are the real reviews, so be wary and read them all and know what you are getting into with this company. The people who run it are not good people in my opinion. They are self serving and will do anything to line their own pockets. This review may get taken down, I have seen so many bad reviews get removed as the company continues their efforts to cover up their bad image. Ultimately this is a baby and toy company who operates on Budweiser budgets but expects Champagne results from its employees who have to work 60+ hour weeks to stay above water. There are no clear paths for career growth, no real strategic direction given and if you expect to grow your skill set or learn anything then turn and run away. The only thing you will learn here is how to navigate the insane office politics, how to say the right thing to management to ensure you don't get fired that day and you'll learn what it looks like to see a good ol boy network run a company. It's not pretty.

to

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Be Real! All the employees talk to each other, they know what's really happening. They are not stupid so stop treating everybody as if they are drinking your kool aid. Even your directors and VPs are miserable so stop bullying them and admit you have a problem. Institute some real processes and strategies. Stop running this company as if you had 59 employees and start evolving as you grow. Exec Management it begins with you so take a hard look at yourselves. You are the problem.

Let's Get Real!

I worked at Kids II full-time

Pros

There are some rock star employees, unfortunately they end up leaving, Office is nice and great location in Buckhead and great area.

Cons

Grotesquely Underqualified Management, It is painful to see those who are still there and looking for a job so they can leave KIDSII. To say that those of us that left were not a good fit, this is simply an insult, we did not want to leave our friends! We had no other choice due to the sheer incompetence of the Upper Management Staff.
    Why so many CFO's? How can you have more Director's than direct reports? How can you have a Director reporting to another Director? Those whom you have named Director's, they do not have 1 ounce of strategic experience in their entire career. You are not doing them any favors, should they ever leave KIDSII, you are setting them up to get slaughtered in an interview for another Director position.
    You will continue to struggle with your off the charts employee turnover until you are willing to look in the mirror and make some major changes.

Advice to Management

I would say continue looking for another job, it seems your Top tier is jumping ship as well.