KidsPeace

Add Photos

William R. Isemann

cut out the politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbenefits, although those have been cut a bit. helping kids

Consmanagement coming down with "fixes" for problems they don't take the time to understand

Advice to Senior Managementwork in each position to really understand your employees before asking for more paperwork to "fix the issue"

Caring staff

ProsCaring staff , therapeutic environment

ConsLow pay , no advancement a need for ongoing trainings

disappointed!!!!!

Mental Health Tech II (Former Employee) Orefield, PA

Prosthe staff I worked with were friendly and helpful for the most part.the job has the potential to rewarding.

Conspoor pay,job benefits were not as advertised,there is no retirement,401k,no guaranteed raises.the staff were well meaning but very inexperienced in working with these type of clients.The physical environment was very poor,many areas need repairs.The area I was assigned do really did very little in the way of counseling or programmatic activities.we were basically care takers(and not high priced ones)our schedule was pretty much letting the youth watch tv,movies(some very inappropriate)) and playing video games.i was taken aback when I discovered that there was no policy for searching visitors,I witnessed family and other visitors bringing in knives,lighters...et al.terrible policy,or should I say lack there of.no structure or consistency in programs and activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst ,pay your line staff better,offer better benefits,,,attract experienced staff.become more therapeutic and consistent in treatment approach.emphasize a more secure and safe environment for residents and staff.Stop "warehousing" residents for the sole purpose of reaping more revenue.I.mprove the physical appearance of the facilities by making necessary repairs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kidspeace needs to pull it together.

ProsAttempting to help troubled juvenile.

ConsPoor working conditions-building is badly in need of maintenance-the place is poorly ventilated and the kids and staff are over heated in hot summers, and are cold in winter. The place is dirty and needs to hire someone who will get off their behind and clean. Staff often do not have the supplies they need for soap, shampoo and drinking cups. The drinking faucets are filthy and the kids spit in them yet no one cleans them. As a matter there is no cleaning schedule or things like fans, dehumidifiers, or air-conditioners. The computer system is horrible, printers don't work half the time, and the system is down more than up. This cuts into productivity.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more staff and offer a decent wage for all the work and abuse workers take from the kids and supervisors. Get the bosses working on the units, change the way kids are dealt with when they act out. You are doing a dis-service and teaching them nothing except how to be more manipulative.

A valuable and eye-opening life experience

Mental Health Tech II (Former Employee) Orefield, PA

ProsI will preface this by saying that I worked as a Mental Health Technician II (Child Care Counselor II when I first began working) on a particularly "difficult" unit dealing with high acuity clients that were frequently physically violent and possessed a limited cognitive capacity.

Working to help kids can be highly satisfying. Everyday is a new and interesting challenge that depending on where within KidsPeace you work, can entail a lot of adrenaline-pumping type situations and a great deal of emotionally touching moments.

The unit you work on will determine what your co-workers are like, but I have to say the by-and-large the KidsPeace crew is a very diverse and interesting crew. Working in the high stress environment is made possible by the interesting and often times hilarious people you work with. The KidsPeace staff is like a social world unto itself and it's easy to get sucked in (for better or worse). I still keep in contact with many of the people I worked with during my time there.

The benefits package is really good.

ConsI will start off by saying that despite all the times I was verbally attacked, physically assaulted, and had bodily fluids / substances hurled in my direction; the clients were not the biggest "con" of this job. Upper management is WAYYYYY out of touch with the men/women on the ground and in the trenches. The pay is pretty poor for what you are asked to do and they did away with raises. I was supposed to get incremental bonuses at 6 and 12 months of working there. Despite numerous inquiries, I NEVER saw any of these supposed bonuses I was promised (and even signed and agreement for when I was hired).

The job leaves you highly vulnerable to liability both legally and physically. As time went on, staff cut backs due to corporate funding issues made the job infuriatingly frustrating. Staff were being put into precarious positions with clients that left them vulnerable to litigation and/or physical harm. I saw one too many co-workers in "[client's] word against yours" situations where KidsPeace left staff to hang out to dry rather rather than providing support.

This job involves A LOT of talking with clients and persuading them into participate in treatment or talk them out of causing someone harm / running away etc. I preferred the euphemism "constructive manipulation" because that is essentially what the bulk of this job is if I'm honest. You must think on your feet and be decisive if you are to be successful here while keeping the job in perspective for what it is.

The job is not for everyone (especially those with any type of temper) and you must be willing to adapt and leave all judgments and preconceived notions at the door each day. A great deal of your time will be spent diffusing potentially volatile situations through effective communication. That said, physical strength and/or dexterity is a MUST if you want to be considered a well-rounded staff member throughout much of KidsPeace. When the proverbial sh!t hits the fan, people who were competent physically as well as in a communicative role were invaluable in maintaining staff/client safety. On the same token, emotional stability from a staff perspective is a must for this job. Often times you will be working with clients that are trying to push your buttons or physically harm you one moment, and require you to switch gears and provide understanding and empathy the next.-- be prepared for this and leave your baggage at the door. I've seen too many good people lose there heads and let the kids get to them personally with disastrous results for both parties involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with what is actually going on on a day-to-day basis and utilize staff feedback before mandating policies that look great on paper but are disastrous in practice.

Stop accepting raises and bonuses while denying them (as well as overtime) to the people on the front lines getting spit on, attacked, and having feces thrown at them.

Hard Work

Nurse Supervisor (Current Employee) Orefield, PA

ProsHelping kids in crisis making a difference

ConsLow staff and quick turn around

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp direct care staff

good foundation how be a counselor by being given no training

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossummers off and school holidays

Consvery political higher ups have no clue what it is like to be front line staff

Advice to Senior Managementspend time as ground staff

BSC

ProsGreat training opportunities, Great supervision

ConsMust have flexibility in schedule to see clients

clinician

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosloved the people I worked with

Conslow pay, too much focus on the bottom line.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to you're employees.

Work here for the kids....nothing else

Pros- the people you work with on your module

Cons-low pay
    -stressful environment
    -no real opportunities for advancement or career growth

Advice to Senior ManagementActually care about your employees that work with the kids because without them there would not be a KidsPeace

Worked for KidsPeace? Contribute to the Community!