KidsPeace Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
William R. Isemann

1. Do yourself a favor, don't work here!

Former Employee - Family Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Family Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at KidsPeace

Pros

The salary and benefits are good. Somewhat flexible schedule. Meet some great people (clients and co-workers).

Cons

Basically they management act like they own the staff. They expect that you are available 24/7, including being on-call. Staff burn out very quickly, most people last approximately 6 months, and 2 months of that is spent in training. There is no respect from management, the morale is low, and they work staff into the ground until they quit. Staff are very unhappy here and everyone is trying to get out.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I don't know what to say, although management does not respect the work the staff does, it is not completely their fault that this jobs sucks as much as it does. The DC foster care system is very complex, and this is an extremely tough field. Lower the requirements of the job, get company vehicles, don't duplicate work, really EXPLAIN the job during the interview, train staff more at kidspeace instead of relying on the useless CFSA training.

Disheartening, no matter how much or how hard you worked you only heard from management when you made a mistake

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Orefield, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Orefield, PA

I worked at KidsPeace

Pros

Excellent co workers many extremely dedicated to the kids Helping kids

Cons

No raises for multiple years No feeling that staff are appreciated Will ask you to work more OT than humanly possible and if your performance suffers you will hear about it. Reactionary policy you risk assault on the job

Advice to Management

Stop writing people up for calling out sick when its because you are burning them out and start praising your MVPs The same as you want them to do for the kids reward the good. Pay your managers enough to keep one for more than a year.

3. The place is run by money grubbing incompetent power hungry executives.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orefield, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orefield, PA

I worked at KidsPeace

Pros

Working with the kids is great and rewarding. Support staff, clinicians, etc. were fantastic. Wonderful place to work if it weren't for the attitude and actions of upper management.

Cons

Upper management does not have any concern for their workers. Do the job and shut up...you will be okay. And no matter who screws up...it's always he little guys fault. Upper management gives you none of the credit and all of the blame.

Advice to Management

Get people working their who actually care about their employees instead of greedy arrogant leaders who think they know the answers, but truly couldn't punch their way out of a paper bag....in the minds of these folks....ready, shoot, aim.......knee jerk reactions and unfounded bs they blame on us.....oh and they just fired a ton of people because of hearsay and caused more harm than what they blamed the employees for.

5. Work here for the kids....nothing else

I have been working at KidsPeace

Pros

- the people you work with on your module

Cons

-low pay -stressful environment -no real opportunities for advancement or career growth

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees that work with the kids because without them there would not be a KidsPeace

6. Underpaid & Overworked

Current Employee - Therapist
    Current Employee - Therapist

I have been working at KidsPeace full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were great.

Cons

Management was completely out of touch with what was going on in the programs. Boss broke rules constantly and it was a completely CYA environment.

Terrible Job, Long Hours, Very Little Sleep, Low Pay, Mandatory Weekends

Former Employee - Mental Health Technician II in Orefield, PA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Technician II in Orefield, PA

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime is always available when you want it, health benefits are decent, the campus scenery (forest) is great, great opportunity to find the things you hate about a job

Cons

Low pay, long hours, you have to work the WHOLE weekend, on weekends it is common to work late at night and then have to come in next morning, very little room for advancement, clients are either ghetto innercity kids or completely psychotic, not enough staff which can lead to dangerous situations, management never listens to the complaints of the techs....WORST 8 months of my life!!!

Advice to Management

STOP taking all of the money for yourselves! Kidspeace has a decent chunk of money coming in but most of the money goes to the TOP executives, not the lower level workers. Each client pays 700-800/day to be there. Increase the pay for lower level workers so that there are enough people who want to be mental health techs. You people in upper level management making fortunes should cut your pay. Some of the houses on campus are downright dangerous because the kids have severe issues and the place is understaffed.

8. Feel bad for the staff, and worse for the kids.

Former Employee - TREATMENT TEAM SUPERVISOR in Orefield, PA
    Former Employee - TREATMENT TEAM SUPERVISOR in Orefield, PA

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to build my resume pretty easily as I got two promotions within 18 months of working at KP.

Cons

Pay is awful. The work can be dangerous. There is little to no oversight. It was astounding to me how little decision makers at KidsPeace knew or understood about the business they were in. During my time there I worked closely with Administration and got to know the Managers and Directors very well in both the Hospital and Residential Programs. I worked at KP during the early stages of the transition from a reasonably well-run company to the joke of an organization it is today. During my time there they proceeded to get rid of anyone who actually had even the slightest knowledge about how to run a program. I keep in contact with a few of these people to this day, and they're all doing very well at other companies. Hospital and Nursing administration is clueless about how to run the different programs they're currently making decisions on. It's kind of sad.... It's the blind leading the disgruntled, underpaid, and uninvested. I spoke to someone from the state a few months ago and she asked me about KP... I politely told her I left as it was going south, and she responded: "it's a zoo, we are out to KidsPeace about once per week."

Advice to Management

Clean house (management), talk to your staff and listen to what they have to say. Re-build the culture- if you can convince the employees you care, they will take care of the kids.

9. All About The Benjamins

Former Employee - Clinician I
    Former Employee - Clinician I

I worked at KidsPeace

Pros

You work a TON of hours, so you can get your licenses and/or certifications fairly quickly. This is the #1 best thing about this company. Coworkers were generally great people.

Cons

Management is only concerned about the bottom line, including keeping kids in treatment who might be better served by something else. I had a lot of ethical issues with this place. Very long hours, no sympathy if you need time off. Stingy with time off if you've worked there less than 10 years. This place accepts the worst of the worst kids, so be prepared. Just before I left, mgt. cut salaries across the board - unbelieveable.

Advice to Management

Realize you have some good people working there who care about the kids. But guess what? The good people can find other jobs at companies that compensate them better and appreciate them. So guess who stays?

Like a bad roller coaster ride. Almost everyone is unhappy working here and are seeking a different job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buhl, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buhl, MN

I have been working at KidsPeace

Pros

Working with the kids and free meals for staff are really the only good things about the job.

Cons

KidsPeace does not care about employees. That is why the turn over is so high. They micro manage and do not empower the staff. KidsPeace management does not listen.

Advice to Management

KidsPeace should treat the employees how they would want to be treated. They have not given raises for years and rolled back wages, cut benifits, and the pension is gone! Not many reasons to work here anymore.

11. Great idea but poorly executed facility

Former Employee - Senior Childcare Worker in Ellsworth, ME
    Former Employee - Senior Childcare Worker in Ellsworth, ME

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is beautiful and staff are amazing for the most part. The potential is there for a great therapeutic environment.

Cons

The staff are mistreated by company and are not valued or rewarded, this thwarts any true therapeutic success for the children.

Advice to Management

Treat the staff as you want the children to be treated, there will be a trickle down effect and the staff will stay much longer. Less money will be spent on training and the overall cost to run the facility will go down.

RSS Feed </> Embed