KidsPeace Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
42 reviews filtered by
3.2
William R. Isemann

1. An organization with an established track record of helping children in crisis

Current Employee - Anonymous in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Allentown, PA

I have been working at KidsPeace full-time

Pros

KidsPeace has more than 130 years of history backing up its services. The name says it all -- we strive to bring peace to kids and their families by offering top-notch behavioral and mental health care. If you want to work in a field where you truly feel you are making a positive difference in the lives of children in need, this is the place for you. It won't always be easy, but it will be rewarding. Many associates have worked their way up the ranks through the years from direct care to the administrative side of the business.

Cons

Nonprofits are not known for their rich compensation packages, although KidsPeace is actually at a higher tier than some smaller nonprofit organizations. The organization is large, with a continuum of services spanning 10 states, so there is sometimes a disconnect between people in different locations because of the fast-paced nature of the day-to-day jobs.

Find little ways to thank employees, even if funds are not available for large monetary rewards.

2. Great place to help kids and families

I have been working at KidsPeace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

KidsPeace is a large multi-faceted organization where you can gain great experience in every level of mental healthcare for kids, families and adults. Opportunities for advancement exist for direct care and administrative areas. The benefits package remains strong and the client population is diverse and challenging.

Cons

Direct care positions are stressful but balanced when you see a child or student or family make progress.

3. Extemely busy with opportunities to broaden my skill set from every angle.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at KidsPeace

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Countless training opportunities
    Great employee benefits
    Networking networking networking
    Working with a great team!!
    Did I mention the learning opportunities? They really are endless.

Cons

Sometimes we get in our own way. We are so focused on doing the right thing for our clients that we could be better served when we step back and just breathe.

Hold everyone accountable for their actions or lack thereof.

5. Good place to work for the right people.

Former Employee - Mental Health Technician
    Former Employee - Mental Health Technician

I worked at KidsPeace

Pros

Good for starting off in the field. Can make a big impact on kids.

Cons

Flat wages, no good retirement package.

6. Feel bad for the staff, and worse for the kids.

Former Employee - TREATMENT TEAM SUPERVISOR in Orefield, PA
    Former Employee - TREATMENT TEAM SUPERVISOR in Orefield, PA

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to build my resume pretty easily as I got two promotions within 18 months of working at KP.

Cons

Pay is awful. The work can be dangerous. There is little to no oversight.

It was astounding to me how little decision makers at KidsPeace knew or understood about the business they were in. During my time there I worked closely with Administration and got to know the Managers and Directors very well in both the Hospital and Residential Programs. I worked at KP during the early stages of the transition from a reasonably well-run company to the joke of an organization it is today.

During my time there they proceeded to get rid of anyone who actually had even the slightest knowledge about how to run a program. I keep in contact with a few of these people to this day, and they're all doing very well at other companies. Hospital and Nursing administration is clueless about how to run the different programs they're currently making decisions on. It's kind of sad.... It's the blind leading the disgruntled, underpaid, and uninvested. I spoke to someone from the state a few months ago and she asked me about KP... I politely told her I left as it was going south, and she responded: "it's a zoo, we are out to KidsPeace about once per week."

Clean house (management), talk to your staff and listen to what they have to say. Re-build the culture- if you can convince the employees you care, they will take care of the kids.

7. If you like stress, this place is great!

Former Employee - MHT2 in Orefield, PA
    Former Employee - MHT2 in Orefield, PA

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay wasn't bad. Restraints were okay if you're into it. I rather find other methods to help these developmental disabled individuals.

Cons

Direct supervisors worked well with us(not the con) but program managers and admin forget what its like to be in direct care. Too much red tape and stressful.

Be more understanding of staff. This job isn't easy. Get rid of the people who don't care and promote those that do exceptionally well.

8. Not bad at all

I have been working at KidsPeace

Pros

Great Hours to look foward to.

Cons

Diffcult to switch shifts coverting from evening into day shift.

Work hard.

9. Love the job, not the organization!

Former Employee - Mental Health Technician (Hospital)
    Former Employee - Mental Health Technician (Hospital)

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules (overtime always available/switching shifts is easy), 2.5x pay for holidays, occasional incentives for overtime and need-based situations (winter). Most of the staff you directly work with are supportive and entertaining which makes the job more enjoyable. Most of the kids will leave a marker on your heart, or a scar on your skin, but many of them are worth the harsh conditions because even they can teach you something even if it's how to be a better person/ better parent! Experience working in a fast paced environment, learning crisis response and time management, as well as deescalation skills. Many hard working, dedicated, compassionate, grudge-free staff, many of which have personal understanding of mental health challenges. Can be very rewarding, but eye-opening, to those entering the work force who desire to work in social services.

Cons

Understanding the mental health field and understanding mental health and politics are two separate arenas. Direct care staff's priority is to manage clients in crisis the best that they can with what little resources are provided. Management often brings in clients who simply do not belong in the hospital especially when compared with current clientele and staff capabilities. Male to female ratio is about 1:4 often leaving females in dangerous situations with older and highly aggressive/overly sexualized clients (Male and Female). Management does their best unfortunately by leaving direct care staff out of the logistics process often leading to lies and manipulation at the cost of current and future clients. The administration also has little regard or seemingly so, respect, for their direct care workers (as evidenced by the numerous heart felt letters, one signed by more than 50 staff, expressing deep concern for the organization/new-hire training/safety concerns). Which is unfortunate and detrimental since direct care is responsible for carrying out the mission and treatment to clients in their care. Turn over is horrendous and as with most companies, many things get swept under the rug; situations that could have been brought to attention so that staff could learn from critical mistakes in prevention for incidents occurring in the future. There is also very little presence from the administration in times of need (highly intense/dangerous situations requiring all available staff). They are very quick to tell you what you are doing wrong and to question your decisions/motives but give very little (rational) input on how to handle or make situations better. They also have no problem with slamming modules with staff intensive clients back-to-back or at the same time. They also, historically, go after staff who have opened a can of worms and expressed concern or disdain over questionably unethical procedures, or those who have suggested implementation of better security/safety practices. Staff are also encouraged to refrain from painting a realistic picture of what you might expect or be exposed to as a new-hire.

The staff that are brave enough to speak publicly and openly about common issues amongst the organization are not typically trying to stir trouble. They are most likely the ones who have dedicated a significant amount of time to the job, who want to see change in exchange for motivation for continuing with the company. Nobody will deny that this is an incredibly difficult job but this organization has a horrible rap for a reason, fix it, change it, it's respectfully okay to admit that you need a little guidance from your front line staff. They know these kids better than anyone and go out of their way everyday to do something a little extra, a little more individualized, for these clients. Try to remember why you came to KidsPeace and what actually drives you to stay other than financially.

Great Co-Workers

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers were an amazing team. I thoroughly enjoyed working with them every day. It's hard to find an organization where you enjoy what you do and also the people you work with. It felt like we were all working towards one common goal

Cons

As with any non-profit, money is tight and it's hard not to get increases year after year and stay motivated to stay.

Make yourselves more available to your staff and share as much as you can. Communication is key to happy employees!

Terrible Job, Long Hours, Very Little Sleep, Low Pay, Mandatory Weekends

Former Employee - Mental Health Technician II in Orefield, PA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Technician II in Orefield, PA

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overtime is always available when you want it, health benefits are decent, the campus scenery (forest) is great, great opportunity to find the things you hate about a job

Cons

Low pay, long hours, you have to work the WHOLE weekend, on weekends it is common to work late at night and then have to come in next morning, very little room for advancement, clients are either ghetto innercity kids or completely psychotic, not enough staff which can lead to dangerous situations, management never listens to the complaints of the techs....WORST 8 months of my life!!!

STOP taking all of the money for yourselves! Kidspeace has a decent chunk of money coming in but most of the money goes to the TOP executives, not the lower level workers. Each client pays 700-800/day to be there. Increase the pay for lower level workers so that there are enough people who want to be mental health techs. You people in upper level management making fortunes should cut your pay. Some of the houses on campus are downright dangerous because the kids have severe issues and the place is understaffed.