KidsPeace Reviews

Military Leaders do NOT work here - Management Uncooperative

Current Employee - Mental Health Technician II in Schnecksville, PA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Technician II in Schnecksville, PA

I have been working at KidsPeace full-time

Pros

You get a solid work experience when you interact and work with the clients. There is a ton of verbal escalation practice with all the clients that get close to assaulting each other or assaulting the staff. The benefits would be great as well.....if you didn't get shafted in your first six months. The training itself is also a valuable tool, that brings you back to college or high school where you must have X amount of credits/courses in order to continue.

Cons

If you are in any way whatsoever Military Leadership, do not work here. Management will force you to decide to pick your job or those soldiers that are under you. If you do pick your soldiers when problems arise, management here will harp on you and you will get in trouble. The management is so far gone from being any bit united that the workers in the residential houses do not feel the effects of "red flag" meetings called on by the executives. The management also fails in assuring your personal physical safety from physically aggressive clients. I could go on from being in a leadership position myself, but needless to say, maybe the only assured thing about this job is that there will be a verbal or physical fight every time you go in for your shift.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page, if you say you're going to say something, then follow up on that promise and commit to your employees. If the person you're interviewing with harps on having to be compliant with military obligations related to the officer/NCO rank, then you actually listen and not force them to decide whether to choose the soldier or the company. The soldier will always come first before the company and forcing employees to make that decision is a bit rediculous when you assure them that you will be compliant.

Elliott B.

2. RN

Current Employee - Staff RN in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at KidsPeace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salary, great benefits, generous paid time off

Cons

Difficult to get weekends off, Frustrated coworkers, difficult

Advice to Management

Hire weekend only RNs, provide counseling to overworked nurses

3. Patient accounting

I have been working at KidsPeace

Pros

Great people bonuses room to grow

Cons

Worlkload not much overtime lack of certain training

5. An organization with an established track record of helping children in crisis

Current Employee - Anonymous in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Allentown, PA

I have been working at KidsPeace full-time

Pros

KidsPeace has more than 130 years of history backing up its services. The name says it all -- we strive to bring peace to kids and their families by offering top-notch behavioral and mental health care. If you want to work in a field where you truly feel you are making a positive difference in the lives of children in need, this is the place for you. It won't always be easy, but it will be rewarding. Many associates have worked their way up the ranks through the years from direct care to the administrative side of the business.

Cons

Nonprofits are not known for their rich compensation packages, although KidsPeace is actually at a higher tier than some smaller nonprofit organizations. The organization is large, with a continuum of services spanning 10 states, so there is sometimes a disconnect between people in different locations because of the fast-paced nature of the day-to-day jobs.

Advice to Management

Find little ways to thank employees, even if funds are not available for large monetary rewards.

6. Great place to help kids and families

I have been working at KidsPeace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

KidsPeace is a large multi-faceted organization where you can gain great experience in every level of mental healthcare for kids, families and adults. Opportunities for advancement exist for direct care and administrative areas. The benefits package remains strong and the client population is diverse and challenging.

Cons

Direct care positions are stressful but balanced when you see a child or student or family make progress.

7. Extemely busy with opportunities to broaden my skill set from every angle.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at KidsPeace

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Countless training opportunities
    Great employee benefits
    Networking networking networking
    Working with a great team!!
    Did I mention the learning opportunities? They really are endless.

Cons

Sometimes we get in our own way. We are so focused on doing the right thing for our clients that we could be better served when we step back and just breathe.

Advice to Management

Hold everyone accountable for their actions or lack thereof.

8. Good place to work for the right people.

Former Employee - Mental Health Technician
    Former Employee - Mental Health Technician

I worked at KidsPeace

Pros

Good for starting off in the field. Can make a big impact on kids.

Cons

Flat wages, no good retirement package.

9. Feel bad for the staff, and worse for the kids.

Former Employee - TREATMENT TEAM SUPERVISOR in Orefield, PA
    Former Employee - TREATMENT TEAM SUPERVISOR in Orefield, PA

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to build my resume pretty easily as I got two promotions within 18 months of working at KP.

Cons

Pay is awful. The work can be dangerous. There is little to no oversight.

It was astounding to me how little decision makers at KidsPeace knew or understood about the business they were in. During my time there I worked closely with Administration and got to know the Managers and Directors very well in both the Hospital and Residential Programs. I worked at KP during the early stages of the transition from a reasonably well-run company to the joke of an organization it is today.

During my time there they proceeded to get rid of anyone who actually had even the slightest knowledge about how to run a program. I keep in contact with a few of these people to this day, and they're all doing very well at other companies. Hospital and Nursing administration is clueless about how to run the different programs they're currently making decisions on. It's kind of sad.... It's the blind leading the disgruntled, underpaid, and uninvested. I spoke to someone from the state a few months ago and she asked me about KP... I politely told her I left as it was going south, and she responded: "it's a zoo, we are out to KidsPeace about once per week."

Advice to Management

Clean house (management), talk to your staff and listen to what they have to say. Re-build the culture- if you can convince the employees you care, they will take care of the kids.

10. If you like stress, this place is great!

Former Employee - MHT2 in Orefield, PA
    Former Employee - MHT2 in Orefield, PA

I worked at KidsPeace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay wasn't bad. Restraints were okay if you're into it. I rather find other methods to help these developmental disabled individuals.

Cons

Direct supervisors worked well with us(not the con) but program managers and admin forget what its like to be in direct care. Too much red tape and stressful.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding of staff. This job isn't easy. Get rid of the people who don't care and promote those that do exceptionally well.

11. Not bad at all

I have been working at KidsPeace

Pros

Great Hours to look foward to.

Cons

Diffcult to switch shifts coverting from evening into day shift.

Advice to Management

Work hard.

RSS Feed </> Embed