Kier Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kier Group CEO and Director M. Paul Sheffield

M. Paul Sheffield

Progressive learning Experience .

Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood working environment ,oportunity to grow your experience in diferente departments and great team work spirit and dinamics!

ConsSometimes you have to find your own way to deliver a good job without management support. But that also helps you to grow and improve your confidence as a professional!

Advice to Senior Managementwaiting for the right opportunity to reach the management level.

IT Management are disconnected from the business.

Pros- The people/Teams
    - Free parking

Cons- Training is difficult to get approved or at all
    - Pay is under average
    - Performance is not rewarded
    - Middle to upper management seem chaotic and focused only on the immediate or imminent
    - Management ask for feedback but are defensive when receive it. (and no improvements made)

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the business vision!

Put processes in place and not only have the workforce follow them but lead by example and not short-cut it to fit with an imminent need.

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBig company, many projects, cash rich

Conspolitics and favoritism, limited training, no job rotation

Advice to Senior Managementupper management need to look at dedication people at site and reward them directly. Occasionally break away from traditional line management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

only been part of the group 11 months since previous company was bought; but not impressed so far

Compliance Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosi love my job and most of my peers

Conspoor communication thoughout the take over and since

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees; without them you won't have a business

Dissapointed

Manager (Current Employee) Northampton, England (UK)

ProsUsed to be a company that cared about its employees, but not any more..just a number

ConsPoor communication, do not listen, Kier have become a very arrogant company. Hard work and commitment no longer seem to count. Work life balance is not a consideration.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember Kier is just a name, its your employees that are the heart and sole of the company.

Work placement

Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsVery laid back work environment - even the manager makes a round of coffee for everyone! After only 6 weeks offered a full time role with the company.

ConsHaven't been with the company long enough to provide an informed opinion but I imagine it'll be nice to get out of the office occasionally.

Supportive, helpful environment

ER Caseworker (Current Employee)

Pros- Team are brilliant. Really supportive and helpful and always willing to lend a hand (or an ear)
    - Culture is good. It is a nice working environment
    - Salary and benefits are good. Salary is probably around market rate and the company car goes down well
    - Scope of work is great. With nearly 10,000 employees across a number of different services there is always something different going on
    - Experience I have had has been great.
    - Stimulating to work here

Cons- Hours can be long at times and there is a lot of travel
    - Some management in certain locations is not great but we have yet to roll out proper management training

All good things come to an end

Human Resources (Current Employee) Bedford, England (UK)

ProsThe people and career development most specifically good buildings. Culture was amazing, needs attention. Despite difficult times and business strategies - people make the place/business/life. Don't lose that vision Kier

ConsLife/work balance - a lot of demands and hours within a male dominated industry. A better and more flexible approach to alternative working environments

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the intelligence of the people that work for you; manage change with effective communication and consultation. Economic climate means that times are tough, but it's so important to talk to the amazing people that you employ. Exciting strategies for competitive advantage still require positive and constructive change management.

Lend-Lease left-overs bring years of incompetence to their new company.

Design Team (Former Employee)

ProsThe only things saving Kier from the scrapheap is the quality and efforts of the contract staff.

ConsWeak management unable to move forwards with emergent technologies. Some excellent projects are initiated but are then reduced to the Kier default of lurching from catastrophe to disaster by mis-management and buck-passing. Contract teams are then set up to carry the blame and are then fired in a house cleaning exercise by the incompetent management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnd the crippling in-fighting amongst the directors which is readily apparent to anyone with functioning eyes and ears.

Solid

Estimator (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat company on whole who invest heavily in training

ConsNot cutting edge across the company

Advice to Senior ManagementNine

Worked for Kier Group? Contribute to the Community!