Kiewit Corporation

Kiewit Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock

Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
  • Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay(in 20 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity to move around and learn different areas of construction/contracting(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off(in 54 reviews)

• Long hours, insufficient pay for work being performed(in 46 reviews)

Great place to learn a lot, but not competitive with pay.

Craft Superintendent (Current Employee)

ProsIf your new to the industry, it is a great place to learn a lot. Starting salaries are decent for new college graduates.

ConsSalary doesn't increase enough with experience and is not competitive wit companies of similar size. Salaries are also not consistent based off job position. Stock option is very elusive, they like to dangle the carrot. Turnover rate of employees is fairly significant.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain top-talent, try paying competitive wages to your competitors.

12.5 + hour days

ProsA lot of responsibility and actually felt like you job mattered

ConsWhat is work life balance? 65+ hour weeks

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with other young professionals. I was surprised at how much responsibility we were all given and how we were encouraged to grow and run with it. At my previous private sector job, young people were relegated to mostly entry-level tasks. At Kiewit, we were embraced and respected. I learned a lot in a very short period of time. Lots of room for growth and advancement for the career ambitious. I loved the fast pace of the work, it made the long hours pass. Great rapport with others in the office, you form bonds when you spend that much time together. I remain friends and have stayed in contact with many of my former co-workers.

ConsLong hours.Great for the young and single, understandably more difficult for those with families.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Enterprise Architect (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsExcellent opportunities to grow if you are capable of handling the responsibility. Great compensation and benefits. A company truly in it for the long haul.

ConsWhile the construction side of the house is very mature (>100 years) and experienced, some other parts of the company are immature and in need of growth (accounting, IT, security, etc)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing the company and don't be afraid to expand into areas outside strictly construction and contracting.

Great experience and training

Job Superintendent (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsHad a great experience learning all aspects of managing a construction project from estimating to close out. Plenty of training in the field and in "classroom" type settings. Competitive pay.

ConsWorked MANY hours, usually 60+ per week. Travel frequently and often to remote places. Company was very "cliquey". People who went out with managers and had similar tastes often advanced ahead of others, even if they were weaker on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff project appropriately to avoid everyone having to work so many hours. Listen to employees concerns about wanting to work close to home.

Great company if you're young and willing to move

ProsCompetitive pay, great benefits, being involved with building permanent structures, level of autonomy is great. There are great educational opportunities within the company that help you grow your career.

ConsMust relocate every couple of years, they don't practice what they preach a lot of the time, many managers to answer to

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to your subordinates. They don't like being in the dark.

Great employees terrible, horrible, management.

Procurement (Former Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsI guess if you were right out of college it would be a good place to work, but as a professional, run, don't walk away from Kiewit. The time to work at Kiewit is when you are 22, and then hope you get to become a shareholder.

ConsToo many to list. Inexperienced engineers on a combined cycle power plant project, does not lead to good results. Kiewit does not respect engineers, if you are PE go elsewhere, this would explain why their leads are young inexperienced and screw up critical items leading to huge losses. My manager's power plant experience was being in the Navy, not an officer, and being a licensed stock broker, to say he didn't know anything about power plant construction was an understatement, this is prevalent at Kiewit Power, I foresee more massive losses in their future. Apparently the last two years have been very tough on the Kiewit stockholders, and if they continue to drive away experience this will only continue. There is a reason the successful engineering companies have a lot of grey hair around the office--it pays, there' are many things that long hours and desire cannot teach, and you can't learn unless you have the experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to have director level employees actually have experience in power generation construction and engineering. More managers in upper level positions need more technical expertise, talking only goes so far until someone need technical expertise.

Internship, Field Engineer, Superintendent in Civil/Infrastructure Work

Intern/Engineer/Superintendent (Current Employee)

ProsGet lots of good experience and challenged. Great place to get your foot in the door and get the name on your resume

ConsVery long hours are expected. Very high work loads with low personnel to save cost. You are expected to go above and beyond your responsibility. If you do not meet your requirements, you are pressured to stay for even more hours. It is a joke around every job that we work so much and we get paid so low. Most engineers and superintendents don't like to calculate our equivalent hourly wage because it is so depressing. Be ready to move anywhere without any say and very last minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about the people, not about impressing your manager. Most management are so caught up in making money in their operations, that they do not think about how many hours we are working or show much appreciation.

Two years tops and then move on

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWill learn a great deal about the industry. Nice perks. Health benefits are top notch.

ConsZero work-life balance. Favor some people over others. If you break down the hours you work (60+ hours a week) compared to your salaried pay, the pay is terrible. After a year or two, you will get burned out. Never any recognition when doing a good job.

Demanding work loads

ProsBenefits and 401K program is above average

ConsDon't treat seniors well and demanding o0n work schedule
    If you don't meet demands of work your out

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your seniors better with respect and work life balance
    Stock program is a hook

Worked for Kiewit Corporation? Contribute to the Community!