Kiewit Corporation

Kiewit Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock

Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros:
  • "Lots of opportunity to move around and learn different areas of construction/contracting"
    in 10 reviews
  • "401K and benefits package is very good"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Long hours, insufficient pay for work being performed"
    in 44 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good for Consultants

ProsHas been good for the consulting business

ConsDon't seem to have control of budgets

Look elsewhere

Omaha, NE

ProsThe coworkers were great hardworking people

ConsPolitics, holding onto 'turf', power grabs, and old boy networks are the norm. I've never worked for a more dysfunctional organization

Advice to Senior ManagementPeter Kiewit is rolling over in his grave watching his company lose the thing that made his company great; the employees. Management has completely lost touch with basic business service management.

"Appearances" are not reality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMedical and 401(k) benefits are pretty standard. Co-workers can be good friends especially when working conditions aren't ideal.

ConsMany other reviews provide good insights. The company says it wants employees to have a good work/life balance...so untrue. It's interesting the corporate dress code is based on 1960's standards yet people in a department and different departments do not get along with each other. Lots of disrespect and backstabbing. Management doesn't see this or maybe they do and just aren't interested in addressing those types of internal issues - yet they worry about a strict dress code. Everything I was involved in proved to be very discouraging with multiple attempts to make me feel very "inadequate". I have been around the block for many years so it's not like I was just "learning" the job. My experience was completely a less than an ideal/acceptable work environment in so many ways especially when the critique of my work was made by others who performed inadequately in many, many ways. Those people couldn't figure anything out on their own; they had to have it spelled out for them - often more than once!

The company was recently listed on Fortune 500's Best 100 companies to work for, what a joke! How many years did they try and fail? Did the people at F500 get tired of Kiewit trying for so many years and gave in? Did people lie on the survey or what? That designation gives me reason to doubt Fortune 500's ratings of all companies.

Interns have given good ratings, of course they did! They were interns - meaning they worked a few short weeks with the company - too short to see and "live" the reality. Kiewit considers everyone replaceable. Unless a person likes to be single and have 2 activities - working and drinking, life is too short to allow a company dictate that we will work and work and work our lives away. I read the review stating the divorce rate for employees is very high, do not discount that comment. It's hard enough for those people without children, if one does have kids - they can forget being a parent.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not going to share any advice for management as it won't make a difference in what they think and/or do. After all, they are already sitting pretty financially with no regard to the price their employees personally paid - which put them in that position of not worrying about their financial future or living/working by the standards they expect their employees to live and work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Engineer

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsWork on huge projects all over the US

ConsWork balance life, Worked 65+ hr weeks only was paid for 40hrs

Good money and experience, loooong hours and much travel

Manager (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsA great company with good organization, a great safety plan and as long as you do your job, you will continue to work for the company, different from many construction companies in that even minor mistakes will get you fired. Not at Kiewit, they understand mistakes will be made and use them as learning experiences and move foreward without looking back. A great group of people in general as well, you feel part of a brotherhood of sorts, similar to military. If you are ex military ... you will likely love this place, it's set up the same. The pay is good, the insurance is nearly free and a very good plan, and after 5 years, if you are a superstar, you will be offered a chance to buy stock.

ConsThe hours, plain and simple. They suck. I currently work for Kiewit, and I work a MINIMUM of 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week. I am also working 4 hours from home, and the subsistence they give to live in a city as large and expensive as the one I'm in, is not substantial enough. I have to stay an hour from the job in a rathole at the rate of subsistence they give. I am on an every other weekend off schedule, I work from 6 am to a minimum of 6 pm every night, schedule meetings are scheduled for after shift, they start at 6 and can go for hours. You will have no life working for this company, maybe as senior management, but the ordinary people do not.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher subsistence and COLA's for staying out of town or relocating, look at rent in the places you bid so you can give a more realistic aid in money for your employees that are filling your bank. Also less hours would be nice, hourly guys are making out like bandits with all the overtime, my employees make more than I do and I work longer hours since I'm salary.

You May Be A KieEmployee If...

ProsIf you’re a white male, new college graduate, arrogant, sexist, heavy-drinker, willing to move on a moment’s notice, and family life isn’t your priority, then you’re a KieEmployee and you’ll be well-rewarded. KieEmployees get stock via a controversial, mysterious compensation system.
    If you’re willing to work for a KieEmployee, let him take credit for your work while he dangles carrots and promises; flirt with, flatter, drink with, and generally support a KieEmployee while you’re working a ton of extra hours, then you’re a B-Employee: still important to the Kiewit machine, and there are a surprising number of these employees in the organization. You’ll benefit from good healthcare benefits (which you’ll need) and a 10% 401k (which is frequently better than the stock program – 6% match and 4% discretionary company donation).

ConsAll others, look elsewhere.
    - Ladies – there are no female senior level managers in the organization. None. Not one on the Board of Directors, not as a District Manager, not as a Division Manager, not as a Corporate Officer… There are some in mid-management roles, mainly because they are good B-Employees (see above). There are so many cases of talented women being overlooked for advancement, or for being selected for advancement based on an ability to flirt, or for being trashed because they aren’t willing to flirt/flatter/drink with/work for KieEmployees.
    - Design Engineers – don’t do it. Kiewit considers design engineers a means to an end, a commodity, and under-values your work. Construction will force you into impossible deadlines, belittle you, bully you, all from a bar stool where way too many decisions are made and opinions are formed.
    - Previously Experienced – Kiewit only believes in Kiewit experience. You may get hired, but you’ll be viewed skeptically, and your previous experience or opinion will not count for much unless they need your name on a new project resume. Also, Kiewit is wildly attracted to young employees and frequently mistakes youthful energy and passion as “the right answer.” You can see this for yourself if you look at the intern reviews on here. Your age and experience will work against you at Kiewit.
    - Any employee other than construction personnel – all business personnel (HR, IT, Accounting, administrative, etc.) should really not consider working in this organization. The compensation for these employees is not competitive, and they are generally treated as the dreaded evil “overhead” and they're always worried about job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek diversity. There are so many young KieEmployees feeding BS to the manager KieEmployees, fueling damaging misinformation on up the chain of command, that you wouldn’t know that your projects are on fire unless a B-Employee buys you a beer with a bar napkin note under it to tell you.

Overworked and Underpaid

ProsBenefits, 401K, CO-workers were great

ConsSalary too low, hours too high, no overtime compensation- Upper management (PM and above) completely out of touch and unavailable. Employees are not treated equitably. If you become a pet of a sponsor you'll do well. Poor treatment of females overall including undermining their credibility and raises being half of what men get. Severe lack of integrity. Managers hide (and expect you to hide) safety and quality concerns. Sponsors even ask business managers to hide monetary losses from district management. Very shady if you have morals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more, give promotions to those who work hard, not long. Face time is ridiculous considering all the technological advancements that you've invested in and implemented. Expecting a "professional" to work more than 50 hours a week for less than $60k/year is ridiculous. Working 80 hours/wk is not okay- for anyone.

Ended up in a dead end position, with no true support after giving all I had to give until I couldn't handle it anymore.

Job Superintendent (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat experience if given the opportunity to be part of the large scale projects Kiewit is known for.

ConsSafety is preached, but definitely not followed when managers are involved. Kiewit's way of neglecting their stated commitment to their employees. Older, experienced but non-educated employees eventually sent to the glue factory, so to speak!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people are too proud to ask for help afraid to appear weak, so spend a little time to notice when there is a problem, more importantly, step in to help!!!

Frat Life, Brah.

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsName recognition, weekly paychecks, lots of booze, ease of finding a better job with Kiewit on your resume. Nice, friendly CEO.

ConsIn my opinion,

High turnover, long hours, mediocre pay, insufficient COLA adjustments, below average benefits (albeit cheap), mercurial alcoholic managers, unprofessional working environment, low morale. The company is really nothing more than a fraternity, complete with an indoctrination of sorts (Kiewit Culture School). You need to seriously consider whether you think you will fit in and be satisfied with that type of environment before you accept an offer here. If you aren't "one of the boys", they'll condemn you to menial tasks or send you various undesirable parts of the company until you decide to move on, regardless of your talents. The company literature says that they hire the "best and brightest", but most of the people I worked with barely made it through college, had limited critical thinking skills, and seemed very young and immature. However, if you are a sports aficionado, like to binge drink, gamble, etc., then this will be a great opportunity for you.

Personal anecdotes: Lots of drunk people at company parties, some puking in hallways. Meetings with all kinds of yelling, swearing, and people getting chastised in front of their peers. Lots of cliques, badmouthing, rumors, and a pervasive culture of fear and paranoia. Oh yeah, I saw a couple romantic relationships between coworkers which resulted in the females' fortunes going south fairly quickly. Generally, conduct that would be considered totally unacceptable at any other organization is sanctioned here.

About the turnover: It's ridiculous, I'd guess only 10% make it 5 years. I took a look at a district meeting photo from a couple years past and realized that I could count the people who still worked there with two hands. Stop to ask yourself whether the risk of being sent all the way across the country is worth such a small chance for success. It could be a long drive home...

One last thing: Omaha isn't a great place to live if you enjoy culture, ethnic foods, or variety.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour overhead is ridiculous. Cut the fat. Oh yeah, see what I wrote above and do more than your usual to try and fix it.

Engineer Intern

Engineer Intern (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThis was a great company to learn with. You are treated as a full-time engineer and are responsible for the same tasks as the other engineers. You also get to work on large and important projects.

ConsThere are long hours which can be demanding, however, the work experience was definitely worth it.

Worked for Kiewit Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kiewit Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kiewit Corporation CEO Bruce E. Grewcock. All 291 reviews posted anonymously by Kiewit Corporation employees.