Kiewit Corporation

Updated October 12, 2014
3.3

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock
Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
  • Lots of opportunity to move around and learn different areas of construction/contracting (in 17 reviews)

• Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off (in 59 reviews)

• Long hours, 2) Can lack tasks to do- often just sitting waiting for delivery's or work to finish (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good benefits. Long hours if you're out on a job site.

Current Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Kiewit has a great culture. Being formed in 1884, there is great pride in a construction company that has been around for that long. The benefits are amazing. Expect to pay $8-10 per week in medical. The company also matches your 401K contribution up to 6% and also dumps another 4% in at the end of the year.

Cons

Long hours, moving around a lot, pay is average to below average. You'll notice that the company will hire craft tradesmen into management without knowing how to be in an office setting. The field engineers do 90% of the computer work.

Value the talent you have vs. recruiting craft into the staff role. The employees working beside these people work just as hard and you hire them with twice the perks. Working 60+ hours per week shouldn't be justified by paying a mere 10% field premium.

Good benefits, but salary leaves something to be desired

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits, i.e. Retirement plan, insurance coverage, wellness plan, continues training, etc.. are all good reasons to work here.

Cons

The salary leaves something to be desires, especially on the IT side of things. Kiewit is fairly new to IT and still does not fully grasp how crucial they can be to the business and how much work it can truly take to perform your job even though you may just be "sitting behind a desk all day."

Take a close look at your IT department and reevaluate their worth. You may realize that you have a lot of people that care about your company and are working very hard, but feel frustrated because they do not feel they are making what they could at a comparable job somewhere else.

Okay, but not great

Current Employee - Data Architect in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Data Architect in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, fair work-life balance.

Cons

Pay is not competitive, risk-adverse culture, buying company stock is only open to a select few.

Be willing to pay people what they are worth.

Work you to the bone

Former Employee - Corporate in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Corporate in Omaha, NE

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is stable and respected

Cons

Work you to the bone. Overtime, weekends, travel, all work and no play. This is really geared toward your grandfather's work environment mentality

Listen to your front line people. Don't shut everyone out.

Long hours, lots of responsibility with no authority

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good insurance benefits. Office area is up-to-date and opportunities exist to work on the latest software and equipment.

Cons

Was not prepared for the massive workload. No control over your schedule, work assignments and constant unrelenting micro management and pressure to meet deadlines. All the comments about the lack of work life balance are true. You will be given multiple projects all due at the same time. I truly wish I had paid attention to all the reviews. I screwed up, just hope I can save other people from making the same mistake I did. They won't tell you in the interview what to expect. You'll learn the hard way.

Be honest in your interviews and let candidates know the type of high pressure - high stress environment that they will be required to work in. The impossible schedules and double and often triple booking of tasks.

Fun ride but must be travel friendly.

Current Employee - Mining Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Mining Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is fantastic when it comes to taking care of its employees. I have been taken care of very well in terms of moving compensation and vacation time. I am given all the tools I need to succeed and move to the next level in my career. The room for growth in this company is fantastic they are very good about bringing the new leaders in from within and training current employees to become the leaders of tomorrow.

Cons

Never able to work in one location for very long if you want to move up. Expect to live atleast 10 different places in the first 7-8 years. Very inconsistent in what is necessary hours wise. I went from 40 hours per week to 85 without knowing the hours increase would be taking place until i arrived at my new site. That being said the company did compensate me very well for the increased hours.

Manager

Current Employee - Department Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Overall, Kiewit is a good company. There are plenty of opportunities to keep things interesting.

Cons

Compensation levels are a challenge for the company.

Challenging

Current Employee - Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding and challenging projects, great people

Cons

Pay is low, no time off, long hours

Reduce our workload

Took on full-time job after interning, been here 5 years, very disappointing

Current Employee - Engineer II in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good networking abilities and great people

Cons

Long hours, insufficient pay for work being performed

Great place to work

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent opportunities to grow if you are capable of handling the responsibility. Great compensation and benefits. A company truly in it for the long haul.

Cons

While the construction side of the house is very mature (>100 years) and experienced, some other parts of the company are immature and in need of growth (accounting, IT, security, etc)

Keep growing the company and don't be afraid to expand into areas outside strictly construction and contracting.

Kiewit Corporation Photos