Kiewit Corporation

Kiewit Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock

Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
  • Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay(in 20 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity to move around and learn different areas of construction/contracting(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off(in 54 reviews)

• Long hours, insufficient pay for work being performed(in 46 reviews)

Good Company - Great Benefits

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsGreat Benefits, good people to work with, lots of opportunities for advancement within company

ConsPay - small raises, sometimes conflict/drama within departments

Long hours, lots of responsibility with no authority

Corporate Office (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGood insurance benefits. Office area is up-to-date and opportunities exist to work on the latest software and equipment.

ConsWas not prepared for the massive workload. No control over your schedule, work assignments and constant unrelenting micro management and pressure to meet deadlines. All the comments about the lack of work life balance are true. You will be given multiple projects all due at the same time. I truly wish I had paid attention to all the reviews. I screwed up, just hope I can save other people from making the same mistake I did. They won't tell you in the interview what to expect. You'll learn the hard way.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest in your interviews and let candidates know the type of high pressure - high stress environment that they will be required to work in. The impossible schedules and double and often triple booking of tasks.

Unlimited opportunities

ProsYou will build lasting relationships with your peers while building some of the largest and most complex construction projects in the world. Unlimited opportunity if you are willing to put in the hours.

ConsExpect to move and move often.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunities abound for the willing and able.

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsHighly respected company with many opportunities for those willing to seize them. Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay.

ConsKiewit is a machine powered by complicated systems and paperwork. Be prepared to wear many hats - Engineer, accountant, manager, laborer, janitor, and computer technician to name a few.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your biggest and only true asset. All of the systems in the world are useless without people to run them.

Awesome

Procurement Agent (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsLove the enviroment and the work I do.

ConsI really dont have anything negative to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place to work

Electrical Journeyman

Electrician (Current Employee) Woodbridge, NJ

ProsThis company projects an emphasis on safety and provides excellent equipment. There is opportunity for overtime which can account for a large sum of money. The opportunities for growth are there for those willing to put Kiewit first.

ConsAs mentioned in the Pros section, one must be willing to work an extraordinary number of hours per week and place the company before all other aspects of life

Advice to Senior ManagementPresently I do not have any valuable criticism to offer management. If something comes to my attention, I will modify this section

Engineer Intern

Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Tioga, ND

ProsIt was a good opportunity to work on an interesting project and got to learn a lot of new aspects of engineering and construction. Most of the people I worked with were easy to get along with.

ConsWorked long hours, my project was a 60 hour minimum. communication across divisions was very poor. Living in a "Man Camp" in North Dakota is something I hope to not experience again

Advice to Senior Managementwork on better communication across divisions

Great company to learn from quick

Engineer II (Current Employee)

ProsOne great thing about Kiewit is the people. It has a high energy atmosphere and good camaraderie. You have to learn fast and expect to be given more responsibility probably sooner than you expect. It has long hours but the hours fly by.

ConsWork life balance is tough for some but I've never heard of a vacation request being shot down.

Challenging

Engineer (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsRewarding and challenging projects, great people

ConsPay is low, no time off, long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce our workload

Took on full-time job after interning, been here 5 years, very disappointing

Engineer II (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGood networking abilities and great people

ConsLong hours, insufficient pay for work being performed

Worked for Kiewit Corporation? Contribute to the Community!