Kiewit Corporation

Kiewit Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock

Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros:
  • "401K and benefits package is very good"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Good pay and they have good benefits"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Long hours, little pay, do not see home very often"
    in 42 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Experience

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time

ProsI worked with other young professionals. I was surprised at how much responsibility we were all given and how we were encouraged to grow and run with it. At my previous private sector job, young people were relegated to mostly entry-level tasks. At Kiewit, we were embraced and respected. I learned a lot in a very short period of time. Lots of room for growth and advancement for the career ambitious. I loved the fast pace of the work, it made the long hours pass. Great rapport with others in the office, you form bonds when you spend that much time together. I remain friends and have stayed in contact with many of my former co-workers.

ConsLong hours.Great for the young and single, understandably more difficult for those with families.

Great experience and training

Job Superintendent (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHad a great experience learning all aspects of managing a construction project from estimating to close out. Plenty of training in the field and in "classroom" type settings. Competitive pay.

ConsWorked MANY hours, usually 60+ per week. Travel frequently and often to remote places. Company was very "cliquey". People who went out with managers and had similar tastes often advanced ahead of others, even if they were weaker on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff project appropriately to avoid everyone having to work so many hours. Listen to employees concerns about wanting to work close to home.

Great company if you're young and willing to move

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompetitive pay, great benefits, being involved with building permanent structures, level of autonomy is great. There are great educational opportunities within the company that help you grow your career.

ConsMust relocate every couple of years, they don't practice what they preach a lot of the time, many managers to answer to

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to your subordinates. They don't like being in the dark.

Two years tops and then move on

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time

ProsWill learn a great deal about the industry. Nice perks. Health benefits are top notch.

ConsZero work-life balance. Favor some people over others. If you break down the hours you work (60+ hours a week) compared to your salaried pay, the pay is terrible. After a year or two, you will get burned out. Never any recognition when doing a good job.

Demanding work loads

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits and 401K program is above average

ConsDon't treat seniors well and demanding o0n work schedule
If you don't meet demands of work your out

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your seniors better with respect and work life balance
Stock program is a hook

Great place to work for new graduates.

Project Business Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Kiewit Corporation for more than 3 years

ProsYou're given a lot of responsibilities early in your career, and there's a reasonable amount of upward mobility. Positions are fairly autonomous. You get to be a part of really unique and challenging projects that you can be proud of. The pay is good (although Business Management makes substantially less than all other positions). 401K and benefits package is very good.

Cons1. Work/Life balance is poor. There exists the old school mentality that you need to work 70 hours per week "because that's just how we do it". Getting your work done early is not rewarded with better work/life balance - you are just given more work, so there's little incentive to be efficient.

2. Starting pay is good, and there are raises given (in my experience) on an annual basis. However, if you are good, you will be given more and more responsibility but not an equitable increase in salary. It's very important to negotiate the best salary you can when you get hired, because it's very hard to get an adjustment to your salary based on increased responsibility and/or merit.

3. Pay scale is inequitable across areas/districts/companies. Two engineers with the same experience can differ by $10K, depending on which area they work for (even aside from the times where cost-of-living adjustments are made). This is not a problem unless multiple areas form a JV project, which they often do, in which case a real sense of inequity exists and can be problematic.

4. Lots of unilateral decisions are made regarding your future without your knowledge. You don't know what will happen until they tell you you'll have to move within a week. Part of this is the nature of the industry, but a large part of it is poor communication, and it tells employees that they are just commodities who shouldn't have any say in their future. It's a great company for young people between the ages of 22-30.

5. Lots of nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine roles and expectations more clearly. If expectations are exceeded, reward the employee. The annual review process is a good thing, but what good is it to be a "high potential, high performance" employee, when you're given the same raise as everyone else?

Low pay and lack of career path

Engineer (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsExposure to numerous interesting projects in many different industries across North America
Good resume builder
401k match is very good (compensation is below average, however)

ConsBelow industry average compensation with very poor raise/promotion structure
Old-school construction attitudes
Stock Program not the same as it used to be. Have to put up with relocating every few years for your entire career or you wont go anywhere career-wise.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries company-wide or Kiewit will continue losing young and bright people...The stock program is not good enough incentive and very over-hyped.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Poor overall experience

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation as an intern

Pros1) Onsite work, 2) Worked on meaningful projects, 3) Interns got hourly overtime pay

Cons1) Long hours, 2) Can lack tasks to do- often just sitting waiting for delivery's or work to finish

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to take a hard look at employee satisfaction if they are going to reduce high turnover rates

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Hurry up and wait!

Estimator (Current Employee)
Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsAll the resources you need are at your finger tips when you work for Kiewit. Everyone is willing to share ideas and help each other succeed. The work is interesting and satisfying. They pay pretty well.

ConsUnfortunately, when I worked for Kiewit the economy was at the bottom of the downturn. Kiewit was a standstill in their estimating department, which was where I was placed. Us interns did not have any substantial to do.

No Specific Role in the company

Field Engineer (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat experience and opportunities getting to work on huge projects and dealing with expensive operations. Got to see a little bit of everything from office work and estimating to field operations.

ConsWork/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off. I was moved around monthly from the day I got there. I was basically used to catch certain parts of the job to where they needed to be and once caught up I was tossed away.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you hire someone make sure you actually need them instead of having someone move across the country to get laid off 6 months later. Employees don't really matter as much as the stock holders shares.

Worked for Kiewit Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kiewit Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kiewit Corporation CEO Bruce E. Grewcock. All 276 reviews posted anonymously by Kiewit Corporation employees.