Kiewit Corporation

Kiewit Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock

Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
  • Kiewit has a great employee evaluation program with lots of opportunities for advancement (in 15 reviews)

• Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off (in 55 reviews)

• Long hours, 2) Can lack tasks to do- often just sitting waiting for delivery's or work to finish (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for!

Field/OfficeEngineer (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGood benefits, great projects, people at kiewit believe in teamwork, good training program, if you are passionated about the business you have plenty of opportunities for advancing quick in your career.

ConsConstantly relocating, work long days, little life-work balance.

Good Company - Great Benefits

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsGreat Benefits, good people to work with, lots of opportunities for advancement within company

ConsPay - small raises, sometimes conflict/drama within departments

Long hours, lots of responsibility with no authority

Corporate Office (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGood insurance benefits. Office area is up-to-date and opportunities exist to work on the latest software and equipment.

ConsWas not prepared for the massive workload. No control over your schedule, work assignments and constant unrelenting micro management and pressure to meet deadlines. All the comments about the lack of work life balance are true. You will be given multiple projects all due at the same time. I truly wish I had paid attention to all the reviews. I screwed up, just hope I can save other people from making the same mistake I did. They won't tell you in the interview what to expect. You'll learn the hard way.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest in your interviews and let candidates know the type of high pressure - high stress environment that they will be required to work in. The impossible schedules and double and often triple booking of tasks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unlimited opportunities

ProsYou will build lasting relationships with your peers while building some of the largest and most complex construction projects in the world. Unlimited opportunity if you are willing to put in the hours.

ConsExpect to move and move often.

Opportunities abound for the willing and able.

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsHighly respected company with many opportunities for those willing to seize them. Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay.

ConsKiewit is a machine powered by complicated systems and paperwork. Be prepared to wear many hats - Engineer, accountant, manager, laborer, janitor, and computer technician to name a few.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your biggest and only true asset. All of the systems in the world are useless without people to run them.

Fun ride but must be travel friendly.

Mining Engineer (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe company is fantastic when it comes to taking care of its employees. I have been taken care of very well in terms of moving compensation and vacation time. I am given all the tools I need to succeed and move to the next level in my career. The room for growth in this company is fantastic they are very good about bringing the new leaders in from within and training current employees to become the leaders of tomorrow.

ConsNever able to work in one location for very long if you want to move up. Expect to live atleast 10 different places in the first 7-8 years. Very inconsistent in what is necessary hours wise. I went from 40 hours per week to 85 without knowing the hours increase would be taking place until i arrived at my new site. That being said the company did compensate me very well for the increased hours.

Manager

Department Manager (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsOverall, Kiewit is a good company. There are plenty of opportunities to keep things interesting.

ConsCompensation levels are a challenge for the company.

Awesome

Procurement Agent (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsLove the enviroment and the work I do.

ConsI really dont have anything negative to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place to work

Electrical Journeyman

Electrician (Current Employee) Woodbridge, NJ

ProsThis company projects an emphasis on safety and provides excellent equipment. There is opportunity for overtime which can account for a large sum of money. The opportunities for growth are there for those willing to put Kiewit first.

ConsAs mentioned in the Pros section, one must be willing to work an extraordinary number of hours per week and place the company before all other aspects of life

Advice to Senior ManagementPresently I do not have any valuable criticism to offer management. If something comes to my attention, I will modify this section

Engineer Intern

Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Tioga, ND

ProsIt was a good opportunity to work on an interesting project and got to learn a lot of new aspects of engineering and construction. Most of the people I worked with were easy to get along with.

ConsWorked long hours, my project was a 60 hour minimum. communication across divisions was very poor. Living in a "Man Camp" in North Dakota is something I hope to not experience again

Advice to Senior Managementwork on better communication across divisions

Worked for Kiewit Corporation? Contribute to the Community!