Kiewit Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.2
Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock
Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
  • Lots of opportunity to move around and relocate (in 17 reviews)

• Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • The company says it wants employees to have a good work/life balance (in 59 reviews)

• Long hours, 2) Can lack tasks to do- often just sitting waiting for delivery's or work to finish (in 52 reviews)

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Hris Business Analyst in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Hris Business Analyst in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-great work environment
    -challenging, meaningful work
    -best in class benefits (401k, health/dental, PTO, etc.)
    -opportunities for growth and development

Cons

-salary compensation is low-to-average for this type of work
    -lots of short notice deadlines

2. A lot of window dressing

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

Big company makes more money than they know what to do with

Cons

Pompous. Arrogant. Individualistic. Just a few words to describe the overall culture.

3. Intern

I worked at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

Good people, good company, room for advancement

Cons

Expect a lot, some locations are bad

5. Project Engineer Intern

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

Kiewit has one of the best internship opportunities available. It is very structured with additional work load outside of your job description to fulfill your internship requirements. Working with Kiewit has been a great experience.

Cons

I live in another city 4,000 miles away. They have my internship in Aurora, CO. They move you around a lot to where the work is, which is understandable but I enjoy staying in one location.

6. Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great training program, management notices and acknowledges those who put in the effort, lots of opportunities to move around

Cons

Office politics and favoritism are rampant in some offices, hours can be long but are ok if you like what you do

Advice to Management

Office politics should be left out of the workplace. Recognize competent employees.

Hot and Cold - Expect Anything

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

Fair compensation and regular raises, flexible and reasonable hours, ability to see projects around the world, good, comprehensive benefits package.

Cons

Inconsistent management, quite polar when it comes to the amount/quality of work to do, might be expected to move very long distances for long periods of time on short notice.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in your employee's work lives.

Poor management. Contracts were signed and never followed. Subcontractors working for kiewit were never updated .

Former Employee - Safety Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Safety Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company wins alot of contracts with clients. Diverse portfolio of work in different locations. Company offers a 'field premium' when assigned to a project.

Cons

Long hours. 12 hrs/day was expected without justification. By the way kiewit, you have to pay OT to your employees. Employee pay is far below industry standard.

Advice to Management

If you want to be an industry leader, treat your people fair. Fair wages, integrity, and honest hiring practice.

A mixed bag

Former Employee - Business Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Kiewit. I worked with many of the most talented people in the industry. Health care and 401k were good benefits. It wasn't an extremely stressful environment compared to some of my other jobs.

Cons

The work/life balance was poor. I worked 6 days a week regardless of whether or not I had anything to do. You were expected to be there 6 days simply because everyone else was there. So, I'd sit on a job twiddling my thumbs at times. And yes, you never know where you're going to be. In a span of 8 days, I went to jobs in Denver, Fort Worth, Dallas, Louisiana. That's difficult when you have a family. I also felt as if they titled the position as "Business Manager" just so they could get away with paying less than industry standards for an accountant. No, the job isn't 100% accounting, but the vast majority of it is. But, if you call it something else other than "Accountant", you can pay less.

Advice to Management

Basically, don't "force" employees to stay at work even when there's not all that much to do. Sometimes 6 days a week of work isn't required. I was spending 60-70 hours a week on some jobs when 45 would have cut.

Work life balance?? I guess that means work all the time.

Current Employee - Field Engineer III in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Field Engineer III in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

good 40hr pay. Big jobs with big equipment. Many great guys that you work with.

Cons

Notice I said great 40hr pay? By the time you finish your work week you would almost be money ahead to work hourly at Taco Bell. 80+ hour weeks are not out of the question. 60-70 hour weeks are the norm. There are some great managers that you might work for but to many of them are either related to someone, somebody's drinking buddy, or has worn out their knee pads on the way to the top. To many bosses that have their position because it give to them based in years of service and not merit. I couldn't believe it when I was interpreting the plans for my boss and instructing crew on what to build.

Advice to Management

Look at who your giving these management positions to. Just cause a guy has worked at the company for 10 years doesn't mean he is ready to direct crews. Cut over head, get rid of all lavish parties, sloppy spending on the carpet card, and stop trying to reinvent the wheel on basic construction methods.

11. Overhead

Current Employee - Schedule Engineer
    Current Employee - Schedule Engineer

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great development and training for recent grads. Great benefits. Above average pay. Kiewit is a Respected brand to put on your resume for later job hunting.

Cons

It's a large company with lots of formalities that weigh it down. Things don't change much even when the company spends millions to develop its own tech and solutions. Don't be fooled... You will move. A lot.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the people who make the projects possible.

RSS Feed </> Embed