Kiewit Corporation

Updated October 24, 2014
3.3

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock
Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
  • Lots of opportunity to move around and learn different areas of construction/contracting (in 17 reviews)

• Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off (in 58 reviews)

• Long hours, 2) Can lack tasks to do- often just sitting waiting for delivery's or work to finish (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

I worked with other young professionals. I was surprised at how much responsibility we were all given and how we were encouraged to grow and run with it. At my previous private sector job, young people were relegated to mostly entry-level tasks. At Kiewit, we were embraced and respected. I learned a lot in a very short period of time. Lots of room for growth and advancement for the career ambitious. I loved the fast pace of the work, it made the long hours pass. Great rapport with others in the office, you form bonds when you spend that much time together. I remain friends and have stayed in contact with many of my former co-workers.

Cons

Long hours.Great for the young and single, understandably more difficult for those with families.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent opportunities to grow if you are capable of handling the responsibility. Great compensation and benefits. A company truly in it for the long haul.

Cons

While the construction side of the house is very mature (>100 years) and experienced, some other parts of the company are immature and in need of growth (accounting, IT, security, etc)

Keep growing the company and don't be afraid to expand into areas outside strictly construction and contracting.

Great experience and training

Former Employee - Job Superintendent in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Job Superintendent in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Had a great experience learning all aspects of managing a construction project from estimating to close out. Plenty of training in the field and in "classroom" type settings. Competitive pay.

Cons

Worked MANY hours, usually 60+ per week. Travel frequently and often to remote places. Company was very "cliquey". People who went out with managers and had similar tastes often advanced ahead of others, even if they were weaker on the job.

Staff project appropriately to avoid everyone having to work so many hours. Listen to employees concerns about wanting to work close to home.

Great company if you're young and willing to move

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits, being involved with building permanent structures, level of autonomy is great. There are great educational opportunities within the company that help you grow your career.

Cons

Must relocate every couple of years, they don't practice what they preach a lot of the time, many managers to answer to

Be more open to your subordinates. They don't like being in the dark.

Internship, Field Engineer, Superintendent in Civil/Infrastructure Work

Current Employee - Intern/Engineer/Superintendent
    Current Employee - Intern/Engineer/Superintendent

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

Get lots of good experience and challenged. Great place to get your foot in the door and get the name on your resume

Cons

Very long hours are expected. Very high work loads with low personnel to save cost. You are expected to go above and beyond your responsibility. If you do not meet your requirements, you are pressured to stay for even more hours. It is a joke around every job that we work so much and we get paid so low. Most engineers and superintendents don't like to calculate our equivalent hourly wage because it is so depressing. Be ready to move anywhere without any say and very last minute.

Care about the people, not about impressing your manager. Most management are so caught up in making money in their operations, that they do not think about how many hours we are working or show much appreciation.

12.5 + hour days

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation

Pros

A lot of responsibility and actually felt like you job mattered

Cons

What is work life balance? 65+ hour weeks

Two years tops and then move on

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

Will learn a great deal about the industry. Nice perks. Health benefits are top notch.

Cons

Zero work-life balance. Favor some people over others. If you break down the hours you work (60+ hours a week) compared to your salaried pay, the pay is terrible. After a year or two, you will get burned out. Never any recognition when doing a good job.

Demanding work loads

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and 401K program is above average

Cons

Don't treat seniors well and demanding o0n work schedule
    If you don't meet demands of work your out

Treat your seniors better with respect and work life balance
    Stock program is a hook

Great place to work for new graduates.

Former Employee - Project Business Manager
    Former Employee - Project Business Manager

I worked at Kiewit Corporation (more than 3 years)

Pros

You're given a lot of responsibilities early in your career, and there's a reasonable amount of upward mobility. Positions are fairly autonomous. You get to be a part of really unique and challenging projects that you can be proud of. The pay is good (although Business Management makes substantially less than all other positions). 401K and benefits package is very good.

Cons

1. Work/Life balance is poor. There exists the old school mentality that you need to work 70 hours per week "because that's just how we do it". Getting your work done early is not rewarded with better work/life balance - you are just given more work, so there's little incentive to be efficient.

2. Starting pay is good, and there are raises given (in my experience) on an annual basis. However, if you are good, you will be given more and more responsibility but not an equitable increase in salary. It's very important to negotiate the best salary you can when you get hired, because it's very hard to get an adjustment to your salary based on increased responsibility and/or merit.

3. Pay scale is inequitable across areas/districts/companies. Two engineers with the same experience can differ by $10K, depending on which area they work for (even aside from the times where cost-of-living adjustments are made). This is not a problem unless multiple areas form a JV project, which they often do, in which case a real sense of inequity exists and can be problematic.

4. Lots of unilateral decisions are made regarding your future without your knowledge. You don't know what will happen until they tell you you'll have to move within a week. Part of this is the nature of the industry, but a large part of it is poor communication, and it tells employees that they are just commodities who shouldn't have any say in their future. It's a great company for young people between the ages of 22-30.

5. Lots of nepotism.

Define roles and expectations more clearly. If expectations are exceeded, reward the employee. The annual review process is a good thing, but what good is it to be a "high potential, high performance" employee, when you're given the same raise as everyone else?

Low pay and lack of career path

Former Employee - Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to numerous interesting projects in many different industries across North America
    Good resume builder
    401k match is very good (compensation is below average, however)

Cons

Below industry average compensation with very poor raise/promotion structure
    Old-school construction attitudes
    Stock Program not the same as it used to be. Have to put up with relocating every few years for your entire career or you wont go anywhere career-wise.

Increase salaries company-wide or Kiewit will continue losing young and bright people...The stock program is not good enough incentive and very over-hyped.

Kiewit Corporation Photos