Kiewit Corporation

Updated September 13, 2014
3.3

Kiewit Corporation President, CEO, and Director Bruce E. Grewcock
Bruce E. Grewcock

Pros
  • Kiewit has a great employee evaluation program with lots of opportunities for advancement (in 15 reviews)

• Smart and talented people are rewarded with responsibility and good pay (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance sucks, I was working 70hrs a week with every other weekend off (in 55 reviews)

• Long hours, 2) Can lack tasks to do- often just sitting waiting for delivery's or work to finish (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Work life

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Omaha, NE

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

atmosphere, great people to work with

Cons

Work Life balance is terrible due to lack of proper staffing. Get ready for 60+ hour weeks and get payed under market.

Hire the correct amount of people to do the job.

Get unparalleled experience in a very short period of time

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training, high quality co-workers, great work experience

Cons

work hours (60-65hrs/week), short notice move letters

Compensate employees better for the hours they work or enforce less work hours.

Jobs

Current Employee - Operator  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Operator in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to work excellent

Cons

No better place on earth

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

project enginner

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will have the oppurtunity to work on neat projects and be given lots of responsibility. There are aspects that allow you to be creative in your work to get the job done.

Cons

Cons – "Engineer" is the equivilent of "dung farmer". Everybody on the bottom is titled an "engineer" even if they do not have an engineering degree. This is frustrating to me and shows what little respect the company as a whole has for engineering talent and the profession. I am fairly certain that the only reason they are calling people "engineers" who are salaried is because they can get away with not compensating for overtime with this title under the labor law exemption of being a "professional". This allows Kiewit to abuse "Engineers" to the full extent of the law. I have worked 80-90 hour weeks for up to 5 months consecutively, worked nearly a year of Saturdays and some Sundays, worked 6 day weeks on night shift with start times changing by 3 hours every day so your 16 hour day leaves you with basically no sleep for the next 16 hour day. There is always a fear that even if you are done with your work before you put in your 12 hours that you cannot leave. I have caught myself feeling guilty for wanting to leave at 3PM on a Friday after arriving at 6AM and having done all my work and so I stay until Five "Just to be safe".They will harp on safety but NEVER admit that they overwork supervision. All your creative capacity will be stamped out within a few short years and you will be coerced into doing things the way they always have been done. Forward thinking is a term that is thrown around but is not the reality. Work Life Balance is a poster on the wall, not the reality. You will watch your less than stellar peers move up and recieve perks while your hard work will go unnoticed. Management does not like thinkers or smart people. They like people who will do as they are told and nothing more. Prepare to become very, very Bitter.

Good Heavy Civil construction company

Current Employee - Superintendent
    Current Employee - Superintendent

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation full-time

Pros

Gain excellent field experience
    Learn from people with vast construction field experience
    Learn about heavy construction equipment

Cons

Required to move to different areas when needed
    Salary may not be as competitive in the short term

Stressful and unsatisfying but a good work experience

Former Employee - Foreman  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Foreman in New York, NY

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

goood safety culture and senior management is respectful of all employees

Cons

bunches of 23 year olds who are convinced they're future billionares run the show out in the field

Good people, bad culture.

Former Employee - Junior Engineer  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Junior Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was reasonable, and the co-workers were friendly

Cons

The hourly expectations are crazy, especially for people required to be on their feet and moving all day. You can have a job as an engineer here, or you can have a livelihood, but you can't have both. Project management buys into the "good old boy" mentality, instances of casual sexism and racism in the workplace were common.

Take better care of your talent, and your turnover won't be so high.

"Appearances" are not reality

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Medical and 401(k) benefits are pretty standard. Co-workers can be good friends especially when working conditions aren't ideal.

Cons

Many other reviews provide good insights. The company says it wants employees to have a good work/life balance...so untrue. It's interesting the corporate dress code is based on 1960's standards yet people in a department and different departments do not get along with each other. Lots of disrespect and backstabbing. Management doesn't see this or maybe they do and just aren't interested in addressing those types of internal issues - yet they worry about a strict dress code. Everything I was involved in proved to be very discouraging with multiple attempts to make me feel very "inadequate". I have been around the block for many years so it's not like I was just "learning" the job. My experience was completely a less than an ideal/acceptable work environment in so many ways especially when the critique of my work was made by others who performed inadequately in many, many ways. Those people couldn't figure anything out on their own; they had to have it spelled out for them - often more than once!

The company was recently listed on Fortune 500's Best 100 companies to work for, what a joke! How many years did they try and fail? Did the people at F500 get tired of Kiewit trying for so many years and gave in? Did people lie on the survey or what? That designation gives me reason to doubt Fortune 500's ratings of all companies.

Interns have given good ratings, of course they did! They were interns - meaning they worked a few short weeks with the company - too short to see and "live" the reality. Kiewit considers everyone replaceable. Unless a person likes to be single and have 2 activities - working and drinking, life is too short to allow a company dictate that we will work and work and work our lives away. I read the review stating the divorce rate for employees is very high, do not discount that comment. It's hard enough for those people without children, if one does have kids - they can forget being a parent.

I'm not going to share any advice for management as it won't make a difference in what they think and/or do. After all, they are already sitting pretty financially with no regard to the price their employees personally paid - which put them in that position of not worrying about their financial future or living/working by the standards they expect their employees to live and work.

Good for Consultants

I have been working at Kiewit Corporation as a contractor

Pros

Has been good for the consulting business

Cons

Don't seem to have control of budgets

Look elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Kiewit Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The coworkers were great hardworking people

Cons

Politics, holding onto 'turf', power grabs, and old boy networks are the norm. I've never worked for a more dysfunctional organization

Peter Kiewit is rolling over in his grave watching his company lose the thing that made his company great; the employees. Management has completely lost touch with basic business service management.

Kiewit Corporation Photos

Worked for Kiewit Corporation? Contribute to the Community!